Kraken 2024 draft

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Regarding Sale, looks like he has contributed points so far in the 2 playoffs game. He has 1G 3A so far. Rehkopf (same team) is 2G 2A. However, Sale is -4 and Rehkopf is 0.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Who should we take from this group?

Catton
Iginla
Parekh
Silayev
Dickinson
I doubt any of the 3 D-men make it to us. I would happily take Catton but I doubt he makes it to us. That said, I have no issues taking Iginla if we drop to 12.

And 12 is where it looks like we may pick considering our remaining opponents. To me, 10 or below is the ideal spot to be in and we really should have a better idea after the Sharks game on April 11.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I don't know enough to guess, but won't most of those guys be long gone when our pick rolls around.

If we're picking ~8th overall, a damn good prospect is going to be there for the taking. If one assumes that Cele and Lindstrom go 1-2, Demidov a couple of picks later, and you still have Catton/ Iginla available as highly touted forwards that could go anywhere from 5 to, say, 12. That leaves the whole list of really exciting D prospects to fill the top-12.

I can't even pick, I keep changing my mind. I like all of these prospects for different reasons and it's going to be great to add one of them.

Edit: but as Fistfull states, the rest of Seattle's schedule is butter-soft. I hope that doesn't drop us back too far but it is a legit concern.

Last edited:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
While I agree that in other aspects of roster building, Francis is conservative, I think your argument about him and the draft is rather extravagantly stacked against him. Before any argument can be put forward in his favour, you say we should eliminate all picks between the 2nd round and the 7th round on accountability grounds and then you include eliminating #20 Sale in the first round because he doesn't fit your argument. So his conservatism comes down to two picks: Beniers and Wright. Beniers was the unanimous choice for #2 pick. Probably every other GM in the league would have picked him in that spot. I personally would have thought Francis was crazy if he picked someone else. I would call his approach here not conservative but sane and rational. As for Wright, is he conservative or risky? Three other GMs passed on him, so with equally skewered logic, one could argue by the time we got around to choosing him, he was a risky pick, not a conservative one. In reality, I think you could better argue that once again Francis took the BPA. Again, is that conservative or just sound draft strategy? But to the larger point, if you have to eliminate all of his draft choices except for two players and claim nobody else counts, you really haven't provided a convincing argument about Francis' conservatism at the draft.

Where did I say you should eliminate picks in rounds 2- 7 or how exactly did you get that impression?

I just stated that starting in the mid first round(or around #20, at the latest) and in rounds 2 - 7 you can take way more swings as a GM without really being held accountable for it.

Not because those picks don't mean anything, you couldn't find a decent prospect with them or should be eliminated.
Just because every draft chart will show you how much the value of those picks drops given that most of them don't make it or are rather complimentary players that end up in the middle 6, bottom six, bottom two defensive pair etc.

Beniers was the #2 guy and Wright fell into our laps, but we still need real high end offensive talent wether that's from forwards or defenders.

So hopefully the team doesn't completely blow their draft standings(we're getting close to #13) and Francis is able to hit on one of those prospects.

Who should we take from this group?

Catton
Iginla
Parekh
Silayev
Dickinson

1) Dickinson
2) Silayev or Catton
3 Parekh
4) Iginla

But besides Dickinson it's all pretty close, IMO.

BTW: ESPN's new mock draft.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
1 - SJS - Celebrini
2 - CHI - Levshunov
3 - ANA - Lindstrom
4 - CBJ - Eiserman
5 - ARZ - Demidov
6 - OTT - Dickinson
7 - MTL - Catton
8 - CGY - Silayev
9 - BUF - Parekh
10 - SEA - Buium
11 - SJS (Pit) - Iginla
12 - NJ - Yakemchuk

Thank you.

I would be very happy if the Kraken landed Zeev Buium. I think he's brilliant.

This list looks somewhat plausible except I would guess Eiserman ends up closer to #14 than #4, a lot of red flags there. And I think teams will be very high on Yakemchuk. Incredibly skilled 6'3 RD, Pronman thinks he'll go top 5 and I agree with him. He's another one I'd be very happy if the Kraken get, but at 6'3 I'd guess he'll go sooner than our pick.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Thank you.

This list looks somewhat plausible except I would guess Eiserman ends up closer to #14 than #4, a lot of red flags there. And I think teams will be very high on Yakemchuk. Incredibly skilled 6'3 RD, Pronman thinks he'll go top 5 and I agree with him. He's another one I'd be very happy if the Kraken get, but at 6'3 I'd guess he'll go sooner than our pick.
To be honest, I would be happy with any of those. Assuming we pick in the 10-12 range, I would not mind picking Yakemchuk if he is still available. I know the kid is one of the older prospects for this draft year but he has offensive skill, committed to defense and can play with a mean streak. Iginla is a power-forward type who is relatively safe to project as a 2nd line power forward. Eiserman has one of the highest offensive ceilings in the game. Might be a "risky" pick but it would be a home run swing.

I would not be shocked if all the D-men are gone before us. Which is fine because then we have a good forward to pick. That being said, I have concerns about Silayev. I expect him to be a defensive stalwart and a good anchor in the top-4 for years to come but am not sold on his offensive play. I do think @RainyCityHockey likes him though so maybe he can add information here. But then again, as long as we are picking in the top-12, I am ok with any of those options.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I've been "scouting" about as much as you have @Fistfullofbeer :laugh:

I've started a bit a couple of weeks ago but Silayev just reminds me too much of Simashev for him not to go pretty high.

Though, like I've said many times before, given that it's a russian prospect I doubt Francis would touch him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
To be honest, I would be happy with any of those. Assuming we pick in the 10-12 range, I would not mind picking Yakemchuk if he is still available. I know the kid is one of the older prospects for this draft year but he has offensive skill, committed to defense and can play with a mean streak.

Yakemchuk has insane offensive skill

More puck skills than any other D, maybe with the exception of Parekh, who I'm not interested in.

Iginla is a power-forward type who is relatively safe to project as a 2nd line power forward.

I've watched about six or seven Iginla games. He's a heck of a goal scorer, maybe even a topliner, but not a power forward. Just not very physical. Averaged size. He actually reminds me a good bit of Eberle. Very shifty. Maybe a better goal scorer than Ebs actually, but still not the hardest piece for us to get.

Eiserman has one of the highest offensive ceilings in the game. Might be a "risky" pick but it would be a home run swing.

A couple things - I didn't enjoy watching him, he really doesn't do anything, or at least nothing well, except for that few times a game when he can rip the puck. That and his interview recently he seemed to think he was good at defense, which makes him look like he lacks self-awareness. That's a big red flag for me.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
A couple things - I didn't enjoy watching him, he really doesn't do anything, or at least nothing well, except for that few times a game when he can rip the puck. That and his interview recently he seemed to think he was good at defense, which makes him look like he lacks self-awareness. That's a big red flag for me.
Yeah. That is definitely a big red flag. And something Francis is unlikely to look past.

I just feel like Iginla and Yakemchuk both would be pretty solid fits. I guess calling Iginla a PF is kind of a stretch. But I do like that he will go to the dirty areas and make plays and score goals from there.

I don't know if either/both fall to where we draft but if they do, I prefer Yakemchuk. I rate him slightly higher than Iginla plus bonus points because he is a D-man.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah. That is definitely a big red flag. And something Francis is unlikely to look past.

I just feel like Iginla and Yakemchuk both would be pretty solid fits. I guess calling Iginla a PF is kind of a stretch. But I do like that he will go to the dirty areas and make plays and score goals from there.

I've heard Iginla as power forward a lot on HF, so you're hardly alone. But I think that comes more from his surname than his playstyle. I've gone through a few scouting reports on him too and it hasn't come up. One scout even said he's less likely to go into the corners than your average winger.

I don't know if either/both fall to where we draft but if they do, I prefer Yakemchuk. I rate him slightly higher than Iginla plus bonus points because he is a D-man.

Yakemchuk is such a rare piece. That size, strength, meanness, handling skill, offensive IQ, who has that? Brent Burns and...

I'm guessing he'll go too early for us.

On the flip side, Cayden Lindstrom was just pulled from game 3, after returning for the first two games of the playoffs, presumably again because of back problems. If this persists he might just fall far enough for us to get him. He's a very rare piece. And sometimes back problems can be an issue for a year or two and then go away.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The good news--I guess it's good news--is that we no longer have that easy a schedule the rest of the way: three bad teams--Anaheim, Phoenix and San Jose-- but the other five opponents are doing much better than we are. Maybe we can land at the nine or ten pick after all.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Thank you.

Just to show the diversity of the various rankings, DraftProspectsHockey has Yak at 16 and Eiserman at 4.

But as I was saying the other day, if you want to know how teams will probably rank them, ask Corey Pronman or Bob Mckenzie.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Just to show the diversity of the various rankings, DraftProspectsHockey has Yak at 16 and Eiserman at 4.

But as I was saying the other day, if you want to know how teams will probably rank them, ask Corey Pronman or Bob Mckenzie.
Yakemchuk is definitely not ranked as high in most of the current rankings.

Ranked #22 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #12 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE
Ranked #11 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #11 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #15 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #12 by ISS HOCKEY

However, I do expect this to change in the final one before the draft.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Yakemchuck seems like a huge pain in the ass for other teams, and from his prospect board thread I wonder how hated he is among other East division fanbases. Is he like Corey Perry on D?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yakemchuck seems like a huge pain in the ass for other teams, and from his prospect board thread I wonder how hated he is among other East division fanbases. Is he like Corey Perry on D?

I think I've literally read Ducks fans call him that.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I think I've literally read Ducks fans call him that.

Now I'm even more conflicted about which among the top defensemen I want most. :laugh:
He's already big and skilled, but lately I've been thinking about how adding some attitude to this team would be a good thing. A little bit o' the dark side.

If he's the pick I would welcome it, along with like five other d-men haha. Just very excited for draft day.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The good news--I guess it's good news--is that we no longer have that easy a schedule the rest of the way: three bad teams--Anaheim, Phoenix and San Jose-- but the other five opponents are doing much better than we are. Maybe we can land at the nine or ten pick after all.

The next three opponents are Anaheim, Arizona and San Jose, like you've said..
Winning those three games could be enough to finish the season outside the bottom ten.
Especially with Calgary finding ways to lose to Chicago and Anaheim twice within a week, the Devils on a losing streak and you never know about Buffaloe or even Pittsburgh.

And while everyone's talking about Chicago landing the #1 pick there's also the Pen's who didn't draft #1OVR for some time and might just finish low enough(11th worst) to move up to #1. :sarcasm:

Anyways, we can't do much about that it(though, I still don't know why the f*** Dunn's playing these useless games) and hopefully we somehow still land a top ten(or #11 at worst) pick.

Reactions: Kevinsane and kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The next three opponents are Anaheim, Arizona and San Jose, like you've said..
Winning those three games could be enough to finish the season outside the bottom ten.
Especially with Calgary finding ways to lose to Chicago and Anaheim twice within a week, the Devils on a losing streak and you never know about Buffaloe or even Pittsburgh.
I don't know what is going on in Calgary. The Flames have lost seven of their last eight games, and they have lost those games by a whopping average of 2.4 goals. Maybe the team is trying to get its coach fired.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I don't know what is going on in Calgary. The Flames have lost seven of their last eight games, and they have lost those games by a whopping average of 2.4 goals. Maybe the team is trying to get its coach fired.

giphy.gif
:naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad