Boston Globe KPD: What will Don Sweeney do now with this Bruins roster?

maswe12

Feb 27, 2002
orlando, fl
I’d basically stand pat and see what it looks like at the midpoint of the season and add/sell accordingly.

The time to blow it up has passed and they’ve essentially committed to this more moderate retool where the older core continues to age and is supplemented by emerging youth, especially on the back end.

My biggest fear is to panic and overpay for yet another aging forward whose contract will prove to be an albatross by year 2 or 3.

As uninspiring as it sounds, I probably ride into camp with “the hole” on the second line.

I agree. Avoid bad free agency contracts at all costs. I think the one real decision is what to do with Krug. Extend him or trade him before the season starts. I don't think the Bruins will be sellers at the trade deadline and you don't want to lose him for nothing next summer. I think the return could be a stepping stone to another nice, quick retool.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I recall reading somewhere recently that Hall had said that money wasn't as important as being on a competitive team that wants to win and that will have success. So, he may not break the bank on his next contract. In general, though, I really hope that Sweeney isn't against bringing in players whose contracts will be substantially more than those of Marchand, Bergeron and Pastrnak. Those deals are the exception, not the norm, in today's NHL. If Boston doesn't want players who are going to earn notably more than those three, then it's not going to attract elite talent.

I did agree with you.

At the start of this year I thought we needed 1 more 'great' player.

But honestly adding 2 'very good' players in Mojo and Coyle was perfect. They 'nailed' it. And I think we have a shot to get both inked well below market. I also think Coyle is our 1C of the future sorry but I am not buying Studnicka or Fredric. Mojo plays center too.

My biggest worry is accountability with the core. I think the powers in the organization are too cowardly to hold these guys accountable. There are no circumstances where I see Coyle and Bergeron swapping lines for a few games for example. Chara will never skate on the third pairing with Cliffy hes glued to McAvoy if hes gonna be on the ice. Marchand and Bergeron haven't been split up in 9 years. If we make internal changes like that, bring everyone back, and let the kids get a year older we become a better team. Look what some competition did for Rask.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My 90% locks will be on roster or in Providence an injury away next October if healthy

13/8/2

Rask
Halak

Chara
McAvoy
Carlo
Krug
Clifton
Grzelcyk
Moore
Vaakanainen (8th D)

Bergeron
Krejci
Marchand
DeBrusk
Coyle
Pastrnak
Kuraly
Nordstrom
Heinen
Wagner
Bjork
Frederic
Studnicka

50/50

Acciari
Miller
Backes

If they could transfer Backes money to Johansson that would be ideal

I’d take any 50/50 bet in Vegas that Krejci and Krug are here

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Treat this a little like the 2010 offseason, bring back most of the team to atone for the heartbreak, but acquire a top 6 winger (with some toughness if possible). Retain Johansson if possible. Move Backes even if takes some sweeteners.

Reactions: Strafer

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Sweeney will stand pat, with minor moves relating to salary if his hand is forced on that front.

He kept his first round pick and managed to make moves that helped the team get within a game of a cup, so he won't feel the need to do much until he sees how kids and vets look at the start of next season.

My big thing is that throwing crap against the wall on Krejci's wing has got to stop. Pasternak wasn't an effective 5v5 player in the playoffs, Backes is meh, and Kuhlman is still just a rookie. Debrusk also had large stretches of underwhelming play this year. His wingers were mostly guys who sat in the press box if they weren't next to him. So please give Krejci a legit top 6 right wing.
Getting a legitimate top winger is going to be more than just a minor move than,unless you feel the Bruins already have one there team,who might that be,are you thinking MoJo maybe,I think he will go elsewhere,so maybe Heinen?But then the third line could be pretty much gone again.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Blow it up. Make anyone and everyone available for trade. This team needs to bottom out and then do a proper rebuild before they’re trapped in purgatory. Hell, get rid of Cassidy, Sweeney, and Neely while your at it. Too bad there wasn’t a way to get rid of Jacobs too. Whole organization needs an entire culture change after that embarrassment on Wednesday night.

solid analysis:sarcasm:

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
A few names out of UFA I would consider are the 2 centers out of SJ, Pavelski and Thornton. Wayne Simmonds as Well.

I don’t think any of them will break the bank and I’ve read SJ May go in a different direction.

I would also consider bringing in Spezza and Rick Nash on PTO if the year off changed anything for Nash. Spezza looks done but might be worth a roll of the dice in camp.

Doubt we see any big moves. Would kill to get Karlsson or Panarin but I don’t think either of those will have team friendly deals or even close to it.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Mojo is the key to me.

Ink him ASAP and you are gonna see a deep team with 3 scoring lines.

Don't ink him and we will be what we were this year early and the third line with Heinen and whomever is gonna be useless and suck.

Noone is trading for Backes. We save over 1 mil sending him to Providence. He collects his bonus July 1 and isn't owed that many real dollars he'll have collected most of that deal. I think he will retire in July I don't see how he doesn't get sent down there this year does he really want to toil in the AHL? Gotta think we keep 8 D men again. (Bring Kampfer back at the minimum and Moore is a great #7 I prefer him to Gryzlyk.)

No reason for big changes. I'd like to see some accountability for certain guys who are untouchable though Marchand and Bergeron getting split up for the first time in 9 years for example. Not saying it has to happen but it would be nice if it were an option at least.
liked his game a ton, big time UFA pool this year, not so sure I`d race out to re-sign him quickly

2019 NHL Free Agents Tracker

Reactions: bbfan419

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Johansson played well... But I have zero desire to re-sign him.

Wasted money in the middle of the roster when we keep going back to the healthy scratch on Krejci's right. I'm years past done with that strategy and it needs to be fixed.

Time to start filling the bottom of the roster with ELCs and prioritize a real addition to the top six.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Johansson’s concussion history should temper any long term contract considerations. But I doubt he signs a 2-3 year deal with Boston.

Skinner has them too and got 8 years 9 mil per.

This UFA class isn't that deep sure it is compared to most years but theres only 15 ish guys his level or better. Nearly every team has the cap room to add a guy like him.

He had 11 points in 22 playoff games his agent can't be asking for much and hes 28. 5 or 6 years around 5 mil is just good business and you take the risk. Hes not going to lose his skating like Backes.

We don't sign him that line is gonna suck. Remember regular season Coyle when people were groaning about the trade. Or even worse what came before that when it was Heinen-JFK-Donato. Gotta ink the guy the top 2 lines are unreliable and DK and Bergy are old. Marchand/Bergeron/Pasternak/JDB/Krejci/Coyle/Johanssen that is a good 7 man core enough skill to ice 3 very good lines and collectively doesn't cost that much. Make it happen. Resign Coyle too before his price goes up no chance Fredric or Studnicka turn into as good a player and after Wednesdays loss its time to accept Bergy and Krejci are on the back 9.

Reactions: sarge88

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
A few names out of UFA I would consider are the 2 centers out of SJ, Pavelski and Thornton. Wayne Simmonds as Well.

I don’t think any of them will break the bank and I’ve read SJ May go in a different direction.

I would also consider bringing in Spezza and Rick Nash on PTO if the year off changed anything for Nash. Spezza looks done but might be worth a roll of the dice in camp.

Doubt we see any big moves. Would kill to get Karlsson or Panarin but I don’t think either of those will have team friendly deals or even close to it.
no thanks to Thornton or Simmonds, and while I think Little Joe would be nice, Pavelski is 34 and now has suffered some concussions that have this fan worried

Karlsson is damaged goods, Nash now works in the front office for the Jackets

Ideally, a top 6 winger with grit, foot speed and some scoring touch would be my focus, not many out there who check off all those boxes but there`s a few

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
liked his game a ton, big time UFA pool this year, not so sure I`d race out to re-sign him quickly

2019 NHL Free Agents Tracker

Looking at guys above or around him in terms of salary.

Spezza- Sucks at this point likely out of the NHL
Panarin- No chance he won't even give us a meeting
Duchense- No chance see Panarin
Eberle- Inferior player to Mojo who will cost more
Pavelski- No chance not a reasonable option
Pominville- Sucks will be out of the NHL next year
Bolland- Likely out of the NHL
Kevin Hayes- Probably as likely as Panarin with Philly trading for him
Brassard- Inferior player to Mojo
Moulson- Will be out of the NHL next year
Nyquist- OK thats your first reasonable target/other option
Lehtera- Not a good player 3 points last year.
Mojo- Well here he is best option IMO I prefer him to Nyquist head to head
Williams- No chance see Pavelski
Zuccarello- Reasonable option like Nyquist but I prefer Mojo whs 4 years younger
Hagelin- Inferior player
Simmonds- Worth the vet minimum no more
Wilson- A guy I kick the tires on but chances are hes grossly overpaid by someone
Anders Lee- Gonna get 7 or 8 mil most likely
Dzingel- OK but prefer Mojo
Panik- Prefer Mojo
Donskoi- Prefer Mojo
Ferland- Maybe but still prefer Mojo
Maroon- 1 year deal only

Not many options where you don't end up paying a worse player more.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I like Mojo but dont see a scenario where he hasn't priced himself out of the Bs range. He was a great pickup but think he'll be elsewhere come July

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
There are two ways to go, total rebuild or tweaks. Let's look at tweaking for now.

I am taking into account Krejci and Bergeron bounce back and are productive again, less ice time during the season would help both in the playoffs. While I do not think the team should still try to build a line around Krejci there is no other option of they are only tweaking.

First resign MacAvoy. He cannot be offer sheeted, do you sign him to a one year deal "because you can" like Sinden used to run the team or do you go bridge or long term. Advantages to a one year are you can buy out Backes after next season and Krejci's no trade list expands to more of the league. Chara should be done so more money will come of cap, you have to worry about DeBrusk but again cap will rise and more space from players leaving. This would enable a significant free agent signing this year (Panari or Duchense at least making competitive offers) or trading for a UFA a year away like Nugent-Hopkins or Kreider.

In this case I am going for a year explaining to MacAvoy that he will have a bigger payday next year and they can start negotiations during the season on it. Not a "take it or leave it" Sinden threat but explanation of teams plans.

Second fill second line RW. I'm going to go UFA here and sign Michael Ferland, in the last two season he has 17g/40p and 20g/41p seasons. He can play either wing, is physical, can skate and if the opportunity comes to improve the 2RW in season he can move back to third line L/RW. As a UFA ,and as these playoffs showed, the need for physical players who can score and skate I would expect him between 3.5/4M a year for 5 years. That would take him to 32. Last season on deal would be poor value but I would expect other teams to make comparable offers.

Third line RW. Johansson is probably gone, I would expect him in the 5.5M. Kuhlman here on an ELC is great value, adds speed to the line and can also be used up and down the line up. It gives him the chance to develop playing 12-14 minutes a game without a great deal of pressure being here instead of the second line which he is not ready for.

Third line LW. Danton Heinen to New Jersey for Miles Wood. Very fast and aggressive. 63GP 10-14-24. Heinen 77GP 11-23-34. I'll take the faster, more aggressive player with similar stats. Boston may have to sweeten the deal but that's why they have prospects.

Fourth line remains the same more or less with Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner.

Resign Carlo for a 3 years deal at 4M a year. If he wants fewer years at same money that is fine.

I have supported David Backes and loves the way he plays the game and his leadership but a 6M 13th forward is tough. It will cost the Bruins a high pick or prospect to move Backes to a city he agrees to go but it may have to be done. I still feel he should have played more in the playoffs because he was one of the few physical forwards the Bruins had. Adding Wood and Ferland covers his physical play up front.

D stays the same with K.Miller, if I have to move a D for cap purposes it's Moore.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Johansson played well... But I have zero desire to re-sign him.

Wasted money in the middle of the roster when we keep going back to the healthy scratch on Krejci's right. I'm years past done with that strategy and it needs to be fixed.

Time to start filling the bottom of the roster with ELCs and prioritize a real addition to the top six.

I agree. Enough with the UFA deals unless it is a no-brainer.

I want Sweeney to trade for a good winger with size or to pick up another frst rounder.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I think we can actually agree on something. unfortunately I don't think the flames take this
Flames have a price controlled Marchand, Tkachuk is going to want more than Marchand is getting. Marchand 100 point player,etc. Might be able to sell it to Flames if not add prospect or two. Not Studnicka or Vaak but a second tier or a pick next year, not a first.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I certainly would make a play for Hall too if available.
You would think he would be. The Devils cannot let him walk as a UFA next off season, they have to get something for him this year. They just have to decide if it is now or at the deadline. Maybe the gamble that Hughes and he really like playing together but I just don't see Hall staying in Jersey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad