Boston Globe KPD: What will Don Sweeney do now with this Bruins roster?

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Here’s the Bruins for next season

Boston Bruins - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

You’re 100% right
Are you sure ?
Because as of today it looks like CapFriendly says the Bruins have $2,834,105 in cap space.
Boston Bruins Daily Cap Tracker - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
BOSTON BRUINS
2018-19

boston_bruins.svg

FINAL CAP HIT
q.svg
: $76,665,895

FINAL CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $2,834,105

LTIR USED
q.svg
: $0

Last edited:

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Yea I don’t think it’s feasible to sign all of them. If they can find a taker for Backes they’ll be in good shape can wise. If they have to keep Backes it’ll be tougher but it can be done
Yeah moving Backes would be a huge help,I can’t see how they get them all resigned for 14 million if not though.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Are you sure about the cap situation,I didn’t think it was that bad a situation

I thought they had something like 14 million.

DK#46 may go, probably Johansson. Backes may be bought out, although I understand the "savings" would be minimal. I love David, but perhaps this would be addition by subtraction if he can't keep up with the game.

I think it would be a great mistake to trade Krug.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I’ll say it again:

There isn’t any way Torey Krug is a #1 defenseman in the National Hockey League on any team and he shouldn’t be paid like one.

If there’s a GM out there who wants to risk his job paying 8-10 million to Torey Krug (your numbers) then they’re playing with fire.

Someone will pay Erick Karlsson that kind of money, (which IMO is gonna be a huge mistake) but not Torey Krug.

Montreal already made that mistake with PK Subban (who isn’t a #1 D either) and Nashville now has buyer’s remorse and is supposedly looking to move him.

Here’s the top 20 highest paid D in the NHL:

1Drew Doughty

DEFENSEMAN
$11,000,000
2P.K. Subban

DEFENSEMAN
$9,000,000
3Oliver Ekman-Larsson

DEFENSEMAN
$8,250,000
4John Carlson

DEFENSEMAN
$8,000,000
Brent Burns

DEFENSEMAN
$8,000,000
6Victor Hedman

DEFENSEMAN
$7,875,000
7Shea Weber

DEFENSEMAN
$7,857,143
8Dustin Byfuglien

DEFENSEMAN
$7,600,000
9Ryan Suter

DEFENSEMAN
$7,538,462
10Aaron Ekblad

DEFENSEMAN
$7,500,000
11Kris Letang

DEFENSEMAN
$7,250,000
12Marc-Edouard Vlasic

DEFENSEMAN
$7,000,000
13Brent Seabrook

DEFENSEMAN
$6,875,000
14Mark Giordano

DEFENSEMAN
$6,750,000
Ryan McDonagh

DEFENSEMAN
$6,750,000
16Kevin Shattenkirk

DEFENSEMAN
$6,650,000
17Cam Fowler

DEFENSEMAN
$6,500,000
Alex Pietrangelo

DEFENSEMAN
$6,500,000
19Keith Yandle

DEFENSEMAN
$6,350,000
20Ryan Ellis

DEFENSEMAN
$6,250,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
There’s some really bad contracts there and some bargains like Giordano, Pietrangelo and Ryan Ellis.

But anyone who wants to pay Torey Krug on par with Subban, OEL, John Carlson and Brent Burns is nuts.

Hell, every one of those deals are stupid to me.

And you still haven’t told me who you’re trading Krug for

He won't get that kind of money, from anyone. My sense is that Torey will resign a team friendly deal that affords a substantial pay increase but not crazy money.

He's certainly not a #1D, but he's a great player that gives you so much, not least his highly competitive character.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

DK#46 may go, probably Johansson. Backes may be bought out, although I understand the "savings" would be minimal. I love David, but perhaps this would be addition by subtraction if he can't keep up with the game.

They're not going to buy it out Backes.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
What? Their hitting created TONS of turnovers by our defense. They bottled up our breakouts by hitting our wingers and it felt like half of their offense came off those plays. I can think of at least 4 or 5 goals that came off hits...

G7 - Perron hits DeBrusk in the Dzone corner, steals puck and feeds Sanford for goal.
G5 - Game winner comes from Perron hitting Bergeron on the breakout, takes the puck off the turnover and feeds it down low where it's passed out front for a goal.
G4 - Game winning goal comes when Perron hits Carlo in the Dzone corner who throws the puck away, right to their D, he passes across to Petro who shoots on Rask and Tarasenko buries the game winner.
G3 - Sanford hits Chara off the puck, creates the space to feed Barbashev in the slot for a goal.
G1 - Bergeron gets hit by Schwartz and turns the puck over to Schenn on the breakout. He shoots, gets his own rebound shoots again and scores.

And you could list as many Bruins goals that were the result of the same kind of plays.
Bruins scored off hitting and the forecheck also - all playoffs. Both teams did. Their hitting and forecheck at times created problems and wore down the d - no argument. Bruins forecheck and hitting created a lot of turnovers also. It'd take me a few minutes to think about it but they had some great goals (and a lot of chances) this series that were built off pressuring/hitting the puck carrier/taking away space. Bruins won a tonne of one-on-one and board battles.
The Bruins have developed a slightly new identity in the past couple seasons under Sweeney and Cassidy and it's a more controlled style. Don't want them drifting from that.
Honestly think that if Kevan Miller was healthy it would've been a bit different as I thought near every difficulty was from having a few under-sized d-men... not the forwards. Don't think Ferland, etc. is really going to change that but it definitely can upset the apple cart.

Reactions: TCB and Ladyfan

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
I’ve got a feeling Backes wants to play with a contender. Will be tough to find a team in the mix with the cap space and need for him. Can’t imagine anyone in the East is going to help you out of that either.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I’ve got a feeling Backes wants to play with a contender. Will be tough to find a team in the mix with the cap space and need for him. Can’t imagine anyone in the East is going to help you out of that either.
I think Backes will be open to a trade anywhere if he wants to play, he was not very happy being a healthy scratch the finals 3 games and he knows his playing time in Boston is just going to be less and less, he could even end up waived and sent to the AHL. May not be the right thing to do, but this is business and I would rather send him to the AHL instead of carrying any sort of cap hit for him for the next 4 years, so I can easily see Backes accepting a trade to any team.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I think Backes will be open to a trade anywhere if he wants to play, he was not very happy being a healthy scratch the finals 3 games and he knows his playing time in Boston is just going to be less and less, he could even end up waived and sent to the AHL. May not be the right thing to do, but this is business and I would rather send him to the AHL instead of carrying any sort of cap hit for him for the next 4 years, so I can easily see Backes accepting a trade to any team.

Who would wan him?

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

If I am Don, and I make a decision to move Backes this offseason. I make it very clear to him his options will be to work out a trade to another NHL team, or he will be the Captain of the Providence Bruins. Turning down a deal and remaining in boston should not be an option for him

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass

I really don’t wanna trade Krug either. Here’s what I am proposing with Krug, a list of contracts proposals.

3 years 21 M
4 years 24 M
5 years 25 M

He said he wants here forever. Prove it. I’ll give him a NTC and make it happen. And get McAvoy and Carlo done after that. I assume Krug picks one of those contracts , if not I shutter what will happen if he refuses.

Backes is a great man ,a leader , I assume a class act. But I’m afraid he doesn’t fit anymore. I know behind the scenes he knows that. I have no problem throwing a first rd pick and a level B prospect so someone will take that contract.

If Krug takes one of those contracts I was talking about . DK could stay BUT we need a new winger for him and JB. If not then Sweeney should look for a trade. It’s either find him somebody or trade him. It’s been what two years. Now or never.

Mojo ... I let walk. He’s injured a lot not paying him 6 M a year. Nope.
I don’t want Hayes as well.

I move Miller or Moore . Although I thought Moore played good when called upon. I wanna see Uhro play. If they didn’t move him or couldn’t for Stone which was never happening , they like him a lot. Play him.

Accari , I like but don’t see keeping unless he signs their deal . Unlikely. Plus Sweeney always picks them fourth liners good with Wagner and the trade of Kuraly.

I also would cut down Chara’s minutes . He better understand that. It does no use of him playing 25 M a night burning him out and I feel at times McAvoy covers both ends of the ice at times. Maybe on back2back nights for example.

Sign Krug
Physical winger

Physical veteran Dman who can hit dirty and get away with it. Need that for the playoffs I would still say it if the won the cup or not.

Kusinaata

Jun 14, 2019
Id like to see Mantha in our second line. He has a good shot and can score goals from front of the net, and i think that is the thing we lacked vs blues. He also brings size to our forward group. It would probably cost us Krug, but i think we would be fine.

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak

DeBrusk - Krejci - Mantha

Heinen - Coyle - Senyshyn/Kuhlman

Nordstrom - Kuraly - Wagner

Chara - Mcavoy

Grzelcyk - Carlo

Vaakanainen - Miller/Clifton

Thoughts?

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
Krug for 2020/21 - deserves and will likely get between $6M and $7M. Just a bit of a raise over the current $5.25M. Thoughts?

McAvoy - not sure what will happen here. Don't we want a 4-year bridge deal so he remains a RFA in 4 or 5 years? If so, he gets something like $6M x 4 or 5. If not, he gets something like $5.5M x 7 or 8. Thoughts? Is this being way too cheap??

Carlo - obviously won't get as much as the 2 above, so pencil him in for 4 x $4.5M as a bridge to remain an RFA or 7 x $4M if he wants a longer term and to test market down the road while still in prime.

Heinen - who cares....either he stays for cheap or he gets moved. I prefer if we move him I think - I don't see much more upside. He is a 2nd liner for a weaker team.

Debrusk for 2020/21 - the wildcard...is he worth keeping on long term with his reckless injury-prone play? Love his heart when he is on and flying.... $5M x 6 years?

Would like to see this next year if possible:

Marchand - Bergeron - FA or TRADE
DeBrusk - Krecji - Pastrnak
ROOKIE - Coyle - FA or TRADE
Wagner - Kuraly - Nordstrom
Acciari or other

Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
Miller or FA or TRADE - Grzelcyk (if Miller is moved)
Moore / Clifton

Think the key to this team is really getting the 3rd line chemistry going and finding a true gritty winger that suits Marchand and Bergy. I think the above 2nd and 4th lines and D are perfect. Johansson could fit playing with Coyle but I don't think he will be affordable and don't think he will take a discount to stay.

Would be great to free up $8.5M by somehow moving Backes and Miller. This should be enough to get a couple of RWs for the 1st and 3rd lines.

Trade Heinen for depth or for picks or to move up in the draft.

Don't touch the G for now, but keep in mind at the draft.

Reactions: bbfan419

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->