Boston Globe KPD: What will Don Sweeney do now with this Bruins roster?

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Biggest thing is getting rid of Backes, his actual salary will only be around $2 m per for the next two years, but the cap hit is still $6m. Maybe a team needing to hit the cap floor will take him on, but at the same time I am not trading first or second round picks away with him, I would however deal say Acciari(UFA) with him and 2 prospects from a pool of Koko, JFK, Zboril, Senyshen, Fitzgerald, Swayman, Frederic. in order to move Backes, that cap space would be a huge addition alone.

Reactions: Strafer

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Agree with most.

Hope Acciari returns, but someone will probably pluck him up on July 1.

Obviously the team would love to move Backes....but doubt there are takers, unless we are giving up a pick just to move the salary to a team that has to reach the cap....but would he agree to go somewhere like that?

Still think the value of Krejci is underrated and that it would be wise to hold on to him.

Carlo and McAvoy are the future of the team's defence...obviously must signs and must make happy situations.

Clifton is interesting as he seems to be blossoming.

What about Senyshyn next year? Could he make the roster?

Can't really see Sweeney doing a lot. Maybe some minor adjustments, etc... Too bad we prob can't keep Johansson as when he was 100% healthy and started to acclimatize he looked great. But someone will offer him $5M+ and he will move on. What the team really needs is a sniping winger to lighten the load on Pasta and the 1st line... but we can never get it. Kuhlman starting to look like another Marchand in terms of talent - remember when Marchy was playing the 3rd/4th lines and developing? Never thought he would be one of the stars in the league.

The team is obviously very deep and the minor league system is deep on offence. Expect Sweeney to draft a lot of D and a couple of goalies.
I would think the Bruins have plenty of D ,I would think they would be going after Centermen

Reactions: Strafer

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I’d basically stand pat and see what it looks like at the midpoint of the season and add/sell accordingly.

The time to blow it up has passed and they’ve essentially committed to this more moderate retool where the older core continues to age and is supplemented by emerging youth, especially on the back end.

My biggest fear is to panic and overpay for yet another aging forward whose contract will prove to be an albatross by year 2 or 3.

As uninspiring as it sounds, I probably ride into camp with “the hole” on the second line.

I go in to the regular season with

63-37-43
74-46-88

I'll look if that doesn't gel but I think it will. I also think they are going to want to add size on 3LW next to Coyle and I would imagine Kuhlman.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
You have to sign Krug IMO.
He is a gamer and has grown a lot since he first played in the NHL. The only problem is the upcoming expansion draft. The Bruins can potentially lose Grzelcyk, Clifton, Lauzon, or Zboril.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I go in to the regular season with

63-37-43
74-46-88

I'll look if that doesn't gel but I think it will. I also think they are going to want to add size on 3LW next to Coyle and I would imagine Kuhlman.
Right.

And you always have the option of reuniting Pastrnak with Bergeron and Marchand and/or adding a piece at a later date.

Agreed with keeping Krug.

He’s not a perfect player, but he generates a lot on offense and you need that back there as the young defense develops further.

Maybe down the road he becomes expendable and you flip him at a later date.

PlinySR

Oct 12, 2017
New England
Sweeney will stand pat, with minor moves relating to salary if his hand is forced on that front.

He kept his first round pick and managed to make moves that helped the team get within a game of a cup, so he won't feel the need to do much until he sees how kids and vets look at the start of next season.

My big thing is that throwing crap against the wall on Krejci's wing has got to stop. Pasternak wasn't an effective 5v5 player in the playoffs, Backes is meh, and Kuhlman is still just a rookie. Debrusk also had large stretches of underwhelming play this year. His wingers were mostly guys who sat in the press box if they weren't next to him. So please give Krejci a legit top 6 right wing.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I want to see Krug play solid defense during the regular season the way he did in the post season before I hand him a ton of money. Hopefully he's figured it out and will keep playing both ends of the ice from now on. If he has, pay the man. Otherwise not.

Get a second line right wing- that's been the black hole of death for a long time now. It looks like Johansson won't be staying so I hope Sweeney's got someone else in mind.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
If Taylor Hall is available I'd make him a priority. Not only is the top 6 still too shallow, I think new blood will be key to helping the team move on from this nightmare.
I'd ask Johansson and Moore about Hall before kicking the tires on him.

They would be able to provide insights into how he is in the locker room ect to even see if he's a real fit here as it seems like off the ice stuff is valued just as highly as the on ice performance

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I'd ask Johansson and Moore about Hall before kicking the tires on him.

They would be able to provide insights into how he is in the locker room ect to even see if he's a real fit here as it seems like off the ice stuff is valued just as highly as the on ice performance

This is true, especially because Moore's "d***heads" comment was allegedly referring to Hall. Still, how would a Marchand-for-Hall hockey trade go down? New Jersey would get the older player, but on a great contract, while Boston would receive the younger player who would command more money on his new contract. If not Marchand, then maybe Krug+ or Debrusk+ would get it done.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Backes has a list of eight teams to which he would accept a trade. Even if he waives his NTC, Sweeney will have to pay a price to move that contract to another team.

KingKrug47

May 21, 2019
The most valuable trade piece I think we have would be Krug. The problem is he is such a strong piece to the PP and offense from the back end trading him could cause problems and open another hole we need to fill. Back in 2010-11 this team was in the market for a D man who could create offense and they went out and got Kaberle. I honestly think keeping Krug is our best bet. We need a solid 2 RW but it doesnt need to be a Stone or Panarin. Get someone who can compliment Krejci well along the lines of Eberle. Replace Henien with someone like Mike Ferland or Colin Wilson who is a bigger body and I think better suited to play with Coyle on line 3. Blidh or Frederic replace Accari . Most likely Gryz would be the odd man out I think

Out: Henien, Backes, Accari, Gryz

Reactions: bbfan419

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Sadly, I don't think any kid will be ready to make the jump to even the third line next year. Studnicka appears to be our best hope, and most here haven't seen him play. Maybe Lauko can continue to grow. That'd be nice. Bjork looks good in spurts and I like his speed. Frederic... I just don't see it. Same with Senyshyn and Cehlarik.

It seems like they need to find a way to keep Johansson unless they can land a big fish. And how many of those are there? Hall, potentially? Panarin? I don't know. Maybe I'm being too negative and one of the kids will step up and surprise.

EDIT: I forgot about Kuhlman. Maybe he could be a good 3rd liner next to Coyle.

Last edited:

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
The most valuable trade piece I think we have would be Krug. The problem is he is such a strong piece to the PP and offense from the back end trading him could cause problems and open another hole we need to fill. Back in 2010-11 this team was in the market for a D man who could create offense and they went out and got Kaberle. I honestly think keeping Krug is our best bet. We need a solid 2 RW but it doesnt need to be a Stone or Panarin. Get someone who can compliment Krejci well along the lines of Eberle. Replace Henien with someone like Mike Ferland or Colin Wilson who is a bigger body and I think better suited to play with Coyle on line 3. Blidh or Frederic replace Accari . Most likely Gryz would be the odd man out I think

Out: Henien, Backes, Accari, Gryz
Acciari can easily be replaced. After all, he was a replacement for the injured Wagner. Wags has another year left on his deal. Plus Kuhlman shows signs of becoming a solid two way RW for the 4th line.

If you decide to move Heinen and Grz, the return could be a solution for the 2nd line RW problem.

If Sweeney is un able to score an Anderson like star, perhaps a Heinen for Virtanen would be a compromise. Sending Heinen back home to BC in a swap of players still trying to find their status would be a plus for both us and Vancouver. Jake is a big natural RW with good skating ability and a high ceiling.

Signing Krug is a must.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingKrug47

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Mojo is the key to me.

Ink him ASAP and you are gonna see a deep team with 3 scoring lines.

Don't ink him and we will be what we were this year early and the third line with Heinen and whomever is gonna be useless and suck.

Noone is trading for Backes. We save over 1 mil sending him to Providence. He collects his bonus July 1 and isn't owed that many real dollars he'll have collected most of that deal. I think he will retire in July I don't see how he doesn't get sent down there this year does he really want to toil in the AHL? Gotta think we keep 8 D men again. (Bring Kampfer back at the minimum and Moore is a great #7 I prefer him to Gryzlyk.)

No reason for big changes. I'd like to see some accountability for certain guys who are untouchable though Marchand and Bergeron getting split up for the first time in 9 years for example. Not saying it has to happen but it would be nice if it were an option at least.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
This is true, especially because Moore's "d***heads" comment was allegedly referring to Hall. Still, how would a Marchand-for-Hall hockey trade go down? New Jersey would get the older player, but on a great contract, while Boston would receive the younger player who would command more money on his new contract. If not Marchand, then maybe Krug+ or Debrusk+ would get it done.

Hard to see us getting a guy who recently fired Bobby Orr as his agent.

I also think you can't bring in an outsider whos gonna have a contract that is way bigger than DK/Bergy/Marshy/Pasta. If we inked Panarin for example I'd be wary of the ripple effect think the Celtics getting worse with Hayward and Irving being added to a team that went to G7 of the ECFs.

Sort of why Mojo is a perfect signing and Coyle the best guy to extend. Anyone better is going to get a bigger contract than those 4 guys in free agency when the Skinners of the world get 9 mil per.

Don't overthink things Sweeney bring everyone back. Heinen and Gryz are the 2 that I am wary about paying 3 mil for. Krug/Coyle/Mojo I don't see us going wrong and none are old you will be getting their peak.

KingKrug47

May 21, 2019
Really like that Virtanen idea hadn't thought of him. He fits the mold of that big body player

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Hard to see us getting a guy who recently fired Bobby Orr as his agent.

I also think you can't bring in an outsider whos gonna have a contract that is way bigger than DK/Bergy/Marshy/Pasta. If we inked Panarin for example I'd be wary of the ripple effect think the Celtics getting worse with Hayward and Irving being added to a team that went to G7 of the ECFs.

Sort of why Mojo is a perfect signing and Coyle the best guy to extend. Anyone better is going to get a bigger contract than those 4 guys in free agency when the Skinners of the world get 9 mil per.

Don't overthink things Sweeney bring everyone back. Heinen and Gryz are the 2 that I am wary about paying 3 mil for. Krug/Coyle/Mojo I don't see us going wrong and none are old you will be getting their peak.

I recall reading somewhere recently that Hall had said that money wasn't as important as being on a competitive team that wants to win and that will have success. So, he may not break the bank on his next contract. In general, though, I really hope that Sweeney isn't against bringing in players whose contracts will be substantially more than those of Marchand, Bergeron and Pastrnak. Those deals are the exception, not the norm, in today's NHL. If Boston doesn't want players who are going to earn notably more than those three, then it's not going to attract elite talent.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
If Sweeney is un able to score an Anderson like star, perhaps a Heinen for Virtanen would be a compromise. Sending Heinen back home to BC in a swap of players still trying to find their status would be a plus for both us and Vancouver. Jake is a big natural RW with good skating ability and a high ceiling.

Signing Krug is a must.

Thats a downgrade, not a compromise. All virtanen has shown in his career is that he is an inconsistent player and bust level seeing where he was drafted. I'm fine with acquiring him and hoping he can turn it around but I'm not doing it at the expense of a Heinen.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
If Backes retires, does the cap hit go away?

Dom mentioned there’s a bit more relief by burying him in Providence as opposed to buying him out (which essentially saves you nothing).

I get wanting to do right by the guy, but if you’re up front with him and tell him your plan is to have him ride the buses in the A, does he retire?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad