Boston Globe KPD: What will Don Sweeney do now with this Bruins roster?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I actually think this team more resembles The Hawks recent powerful teams. - but it's all in the eye of the beholder.
In a perfect world you re-up Johansson, move Backes and Moore both for Cap purposes and so that they can actually be on a team where they never have to be a healthy scratch, and target a top flight winger (either side) that's an upgrade on either DeBrusk (as much as I like him) or the revolving cast on RW and create a proper second line. As long as he buys into the work ethic and attitude of the team I'm not as worried if he isn't a super physical player. - like if he was a better version of Coyle or Nash redux or another Johansson - I'm fine.
Moore's shoulder was "blown up." IF not he would've been a big add on D but playing with only one arm essentially made him weaker than Krug. I expect bigger and better from him next year. He may even be the guy who replaces Krug if the Bruins trade him. Anyway, why would any team give up a good return for a guy who's going to be out for SIX months? Would you give up a decent player, prospect or draft pick for a guy going in for major shoulder surgery. His value is with/for the Bruins. Also he will be a guy that is offered up to Seattle in 2020, by that time he'll be healed and his value will rise again. Better to lose him to Seattle than a guy like Vaak or Lauzon.

Reactions: TCB

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
NHL fans and teams across the world saw how to handle the Bruins and that is to hit them as much as possible. It's a copy cat league so I expect that to continue. Will the Bruins counter that, I really hope so.
We saw it with the Leafs even ,Muzzin was hammering Pasta every chance he got,and definitely had a huge impact on him,but really it’s playoff hockey it’s to be expected,to tell you the truth I’m actually amazed the Bruins got as far as they did,I really never thought they would be able to handle it,I think Carolina was definitely a nice break for them.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Then you’re rebuilding

They would actually be dealing from a position of strength. Something that needs to be done to stay competitive. If the Bruins deal Krug they'll be more than fine defensively and if they can bring in a future number one center or a top forward they'd actually be better off.

The Bruins have depth on the blueline and in a year Krug is looking at anywhere between 8-10 mil per on the open market, teams will be lining up too acquire him. I mean look at what Skinner just got, too me Krug is a much more valuable asset.

I wouldn't call it a rebuild, more so managing your assets to remain competitive.

Reactions: Bodit9

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
We saw it with the Leafs even ,Muzzin was hammering Pasta every chance he got,and definitely had a huge impact on him,but really it’s playoff hockey it’s to be expected,to tell you the truth I’m actually amazed the Bruins got as far as they did,I really never thought they would be able to handle it,I think Carolina was definitely a nice break for them.

Next year well probably have to go through Washington Tampa and maybe Columbus followed by the west champ. Time to load up and get some intimidating players with skill. Being a power play team wont work bc if you're not strong 5 on 5 that is a PP for the other team

Reactions: BMC and sarge88

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Moore's shoulder was "blown up." IF not he would've been a big add on D but playing with only one arm essentially made him weaker than Krug. I expect bigger and better from him next year. He may even be the guy who replaces Krug if the Bruins trade him. Anyway, why would any team give up a good return for a guy who's going to be out for SIX months? Would you give up a decent player, prospect or draft pick for a guy going in for major shoulder surgery. His value is with/for the Bruins. Also he will be a guy that is offered up to Seattle in 2020, by that time he'll be healed and his value will rise again. Better to lose him to Seattle than a guy like Vaak or Lauzon.

My hazy memory is as always, hazy, but wasn't he a healthy scratch a lot of times before he got injured. I thought he was scratched even when K. Miller was hurt. Is he really expected to be gone for six months? That's brutal. I also kinda forget about the expansion draft and haven't given it much thought yet as the playoffs were going but that's a good point.

I like Moore and have no problem with him on the team. My thoughts on possibly trading him were two-fold and neither really has anything to do with the return. You could trade him for 'future considerations' (I miss those trades) and I'd understand it.
#1. You can move him if you're going for a big fish this off-season and need a bit more cap space.
#2. You can move him out of respect and professionalism. If he projects to be your 7-8 d-man next season, through no fault of his own, you think about moving him to a team where he can play top 4 minutes. Money aside, I feel bad for him as he should be a full-time NHL regular and would be on most every other team in the league so allow him the opportunity to go out there and play. -

Reactions: Strafer

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Next year well probably have to go through Washington Tampa and maybe Columbus followed by the west champ. Time to load up and get some intimidating players with skill. Being a power play team wont work bc if you're not strong 5 on 5 that is a PP for the other team
Agree they will have a tougher path I believe to get as far next season,but really aren’t going to change the make up of team drastically,I would definitely like to see a winger for the second line with some size,but also with offensive ability,not sure where they get one,wouldn’t mind seeing a bigger winger to go with Coyle either,I really don’t think the Bruins will be able to resign MoJo.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Agree they will have a tougher path I believe to get as far next season,but really aren’t going to change the make up of team drastically,I would definitely like to see a winger for the second line with some size,but also with offensive ability,not sure where they get one,wouldn’t mind seeing a bigger winger to go with Coyle either,I really don’t think the Bruins will be able to resign MoJo.

A forward with some size and a hard hitting top 4 dman I'd love to see

Reactions: Clode

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
They would actually be dealing from a position of strength. Something that needs to be done to stay competitive. If the Bruins deal Krug they'll be more than fine defensively and if they can bring in a future number one center or a top forward they'd actually be better off.

The Bruins have depth on the blueline and in a year Krug is looking at anywhere between 8-10 mil per on the open market, teams will be lining up too acquire him. I mean look at what Skinner just got, too me Krug is a much more valuable asset.

I wouldn't call it a rebuild, more so managing your assets to remain competitive.

You deal Krug, you weaken your defense, (yes defense) power play and roster.

Who’s running your power play like Krug? McAvoy? Not quite.

Then who are you trading Krug for?

He’s not gonna get 8-10 million. 8-10 million is #1 defenseman money and Torey Krug is not a number 1 defenseman.

If some team is foolishly willing to spend that kind of money then you’re looking at another Shattenkirk/Yandle situation.

You can’t compare what Buffalo paid Skinner to Krug’s value to the Bruins either. The situations are completely different. The Bruins aren’t rebuilding their roster and trying to retain scoring, but the Sabres are. And now Buffalo have two players making about $20 million per season plus Okposo’s contract at 6 million for another 3 seasons. And then Dahlin needs to be signed too.

No thanks

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
The team is stacked -think people are just identifying needs based on muscle memory reflex from previous off seasons. Sweeney’s built as legit a Cup contender as you will find in the league. There are no real needs, only wants at this point.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
A forward with some size and a hard hitting top 4 dman I'd love to see
The hard hitting D they had ,he just couldn’t stay healthy,I think a healthy Miller could have made a huge difference in the series,dont think the Blues would have taken as many liberties on the Bruins D when they new he was going to hit back.A couple of big hits bye Chara wouldn’t have hurt either.Imagine if Chara had hit a forward like he did Nash.

Reactions: BMC

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
NHL fans and teams across the world saw how to handle the Bruins and that is to hit them as much as possible. It's a copy cat league so I expect that to continue. Will the Bruins counter that, I really hope so.

Yup, The whole league is going to run around throwing forearms to the head of Heads of the Bruins all year. That will make for a fun season of hockey.

If this is a copycat league, then the NHL concussion rate might double next season

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The hard hitting D they had ,he just couldn’t stay healthy,I think a healthy Miller could have made a huge difference in the series,dont think the Blues would have taken as many liberties on the Bruins D when they new he was going to hit back.A couple of big hits bye Chara wouldn’t have hurt either.Imagine if Chara had hit a forward like he did Nash.

I like Miller but just too injury prone. Perhaps a guy like Boychuk who can stay healthy can be acquired

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
The team is stacked -think people are just identifying needs based on muscle memory reflex from previous off seasons. Sweeney’s built as legit a Cup contender as you will find in the league. There are no real needs, only wants at this point.
They still need a second line winger,one with some size and offensive ability wouldn’t be a bad thing.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Yup, The whole league is going to run around throwing forearms to the head of Heads of the Bruins all year. That will make for a fun season of hockey.

If this is a copycat league, then the NHL concussion rate might double next season

It's a reality the Bruins will face. Its hit or be it. Teams with muscle arent going away. I like skill but we need to protect the skill players

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
You deal Krug, you weaken your defense, (yes defense) power play and roster.

Who’s running your power play like Krug? McAvoy? Not quite.

Then who are you trading Krug for?

He’s not gonna get 8-10 million. 8-10 million is #1 defenseman money and Torey Krug is not a number 1 defenseman.

If some team is foolishly willing to spend that kind of money then you’re looking at another Shattenkirk/Yandle situation.

You can’t compare what Buffalo paid Skinner to Krug’s value to the Bruins either. The situations are completely different. The Bruins aren’t rebuilding their roster and trying to retain scoring, but the Sabres are. And now Buffalo have two players making about $20 million per season plus Okposo’s contract at 6 million for another 3 seasons. And then Dahlin needs to be signed too.

No thanks

McAvoy more than capable of running your power play.

Try again, on the open market Torey Kug easily rakes in that amount.

Doesn't really matter much what buffalo situation is, they helped set the market on players of Skinners value and a Top offenseive defenseman, who's clutch in the playoffs and plays bigger than he is and with the heart of a lion will get paid 8-10 mil per on the open market. It will be a bidding frenzy, hell if Kovalchuk can get 6 mil per, you really think A Torey Krug isn't going to get at least 8 mil per.

Sweeney can't afford to loose Krug for nothing and I don't believe he'll have the cap space to re-sign him and with the depth and the young kids on the way behind the blue line and the need for a young top center, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sweeney deals him.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfan419

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I've seen a lot of this "Krug replacement RW" but I don't think that's realistic. Who is this mystical player? I went through the list of scoring leaders at rw for the past two years and I can't find a single player who makes sense. Mantha? Meh plus why would Detroit want 1 year of Krug? Palmieri? Same question.

If they trade Krug, I think they would be best served getting futures.

Fair enough.

I just work from the perspective that there is always a deal to be made.

With +/- 600 players in the NHL, GM’s can get creative if they put their mind to it in order to fill a need.

Maybe it’s Krug and a pick or prospect or, like you said it’s Krug for a package of picks/prospects and they used his money toward a UFA.

Either way....when I think as a GM, I see in house replacements for Krug, at least more than what they have to replace Johansson up front, IMO.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I like Miller but just too injury prone. Perhaps a guy like Boychuk who can stay healthy can be acquired

Boychuk's contract is awful and he's also injury prone

Bruins' D is great and all set as far as I'm concerned. As far as forwards go, there's maybe two spots up for grabs if they can move Backes. If they can get Ferland at a reasonable contract and then work in another kid on the third line they'll be in good shape.

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Blow it up. Make anyone and everyone available for trade. This team needs to bottom out and then do a proper rebuild before they’re trapped in purgatory. Hell, get rid of Cassidy, Sweeney, and Neely while your at it. Too bad there wasn’t a way to get rid of Jacobs too. Whole organization needs an entire culture change after that embarrassment on Wednesday night.

What’s scary is this is most likely a real person’s brain at work.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Boychuk's contract is awful and he's also injury prone

Bruins' D is great and all set as far as I'm concerned. As far as forwards go, there's maybe two spots up for grabs if they can move Backes. If they can get Ferland at a reasonable contract and then work in another kid on the third line they'll be in good shape.

The ship has sailed on Boychuk for sure I meant more of acquiring a player who can bring the same nastiness that he brought. Ferland would be a good acquisition but dont want to overpay significantly

Reactions: Clode and bbfan419

member 96824

I dunno, if there’s one copycat thing I think it’ll be how St. Louis(and Toronto to a lesser extent) really packed it in and stifled their offense with a lead. I think the copycat piece is going to be strong goaltending and sitting on the puck when you get a lead.

Bruins outscored the Blues 24 to 18 if I’m recalling correctly, so I don’t necessarily know if GMs will be sitting in their board room building an entire team strategy around what happened in one game 7.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It's a reality the Bruins will face. Its hit or be it. Teams with muscle arent going away. I like skill but we need to protect the skill players

I don't think you can protect your players now the way it was done years ago. The Bruins hitting opposing players isn't going to deter the opposition from hitting Bruins and vice-versa.

Look at McAvoy and Anderson. Anderson was drilling Bruins all series. Did it deter McAvoy from laying out Anderson with a hit later on? Do you think Bruins players were saying to themselves "Well don't hit Blue Jackets because Josh Anderson might hit us back in retaliation?"

The Bruins are a heavy physical team. But contrary to the popular belief outside of Bruins nation, the Bruins are for the most part clean hitters. Guys like Wagner, Acciari, Kuraly, Backes, Coyle, Nordstrom, Carlo etc. all play heavy and physical but they hit hard and clean the vast majority of the time. And they don't run around taking themselves out of position to make hits. If there is argument to be made, it's that the Bruins as a group are too honest physically, and a bit of dirtiness, an eye-for-an-eye so to speak, would be warranted. (and I don't mean Marchand kind of dirty).

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I don't think you can protect your players now the way it was done years ago. The Bruins hitting opposing players isn't going to deter the opposition from hitting Bruins and vice-versa.

Look at McAvoy and Anderson. Anderson was drilling Bruins all series. Did it deter McAvoy from laying out Anderson with a hit later on? Do you think Bruins players were saying to themselves "Well don't hit Blue Jackets because Josh Anderson might hit us back in retaliation?"

The Bruins are a heavy physical team. But contrary to the popular belief outside of Bruins nation, the Bruins are for the most part clean hitters. Guys like Wagner, Acciari, Kuraly, Backes, Coyle, Nordstrom, Carlo etc. all play heavy and physical but they hit hard and clean the vast majority of the time. And they don't run around taking themselves out of position to make hits. If there is argument to be made, it's that the Bruins as a group are too honest physically, and a bit of dirtiness, an eye-for-an-eye so to speak, would be warranted. (and I don't mean Marchand kind of dirty).

Bruins did handle the physicality to a degree agaisnt the Blues but over a 7 game series the Blues didnt look worn down at all. Just looking at the Bruins injuries compared to the Blues after the end of the season. The heavy hitting took its toll.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I dunno, if there’s one copycat thing I think it’ll be how St. Louis(and Toronto to a lesser extent) really packed it in and stifled their offense with a lead. I think the copycat piece is going to be strong goaltending and sitting on the puck when you get a lead.

Bruins outscored the Blues 24 to 18 if I’m recalling correctly, so I don’t necessarily know if GMs will be sitting in their board room building an entire team strategy around what happened in one game 7.

I think it will be simple for most NHL teams. As long as there is nobody to fear on Boston. The liberties will continue

Reactions: Bodit9

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I am very bad at mocking up contracts, but I went to CapFriendly and came up with this roster:

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Krejci-Ferland($5M)
Heinen($2.75M)-Coyle-Senyshyn
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner
Kuhlman

Chara-McAvoy($5.5M)
Krug-Carlo($4M)
Grzelcyk-Clifton
Moore-Miller

Rask
Halak

If you can move Backes, that leaves you with almost $2.2M in cap space carrying a full 23 players. Senyshyn could be replaced with Kuhlman or whichever other prospect you fancy.

Willing to hear your feedback, but please go easy on me :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad