Boston Globe KPD: What will Don Sweeney do now with this Bruins roster?

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Coyle is better in the middle, get the second line an in his prime or close 25 goal scorer with size and physicality. There arent many but there are some. Over pay for Anderson with prospects, sign Ferland, would rather him as Coyles wing but he gets 20-25 with Krejci and DeBrusk.

ELC's are important, but they just lost the seventh game of the cup final with a veteran core, now is not the time to see if Senyshyn, Studnicka, Frederic et al are ready. Now is the time to fill gaps and make one more run with this core.

I have always wondered why Providence hasn't produced a dominant player in so long, last one i can really think of was Boychuk and he was a minor league vet when he got there.

How many Dominant players are produced by any AHL team?

Debrusk, Krug, Gryz, Clifton, Heinen, and others have all benefited from their time in Providence. Going back further you have Krejci, Marchand, and Rask.

Most high profile players around the league develop their game at the NHL level. Guys like Bergeron, Pasta, McAvoy are the type of guys who are quite simply are too good for that league (I know Pasta played 25 games in his transition year, but he was too good for that league from Day One)

Reactions: Strafer

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
How many Dominant players are produced by any AHL team?

Debrusk, Krug, Gryz, Clifton, Heinen, and others have all benefited from their time in Providence. Going back further you have Krejci, Marchand, and Rask.

Most high profile players around the league develop their game at the NHL level. Guys like Bergeron, Pasta, McAvoy are the type of guys who are quite simply are too good for that league (I know Pasta played 25 games in his transition year, but he was too good for that league from Day One)
Not saying they dont benefit from being in Providence just dont understand why they don't put up good offensive numbers when there.

Normally dont see a player scoring more in the NHL than in the I think every prospect should play at least one whole season on the minors, when the Red Wings were successful they kept players down for multiple years before bringing them up.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I don't think it was that apparent. They won 15 games. Of their 9 losses I'd say 3 of them were because they were being out-muscled and in 1 of those the refs were letting automatic penalties slide.
This team is a bit different than they have been in the past. They don't intimidate other teams anymore but they (along with St. Louis) are a tough team to play against.
They're a driven, well-structured team that battles for every puck and is a pain in the ass to play against with good leadership and guys rowing in the same direction. It might be a bit different than we're used to but - this is a helluva good team as they're constructed. This team is very composed.

I know they lost in The Finals and we're all frustrated but I don't **** with the chemistry, structure or approach too much as they're pretty much the definition of a team that 'plays within itself'. Everybody's buying in. No one's trying to prove themselves. Or start ****.

They played some incredible hockey this year and were skating down hill for much of it.

Bruins fans won't like this comparison, but in a lot of ways this team reminded me of the Canadiens of old. We were outhit in most series, but we didn't wilt. We took hits and we got power plays. We relied on a devastating PP and great goaltending.

I don't think that's a bad recipe, it certainly worked well for the Habs, but STL and CLB showed that there's still value in a heavy, consistent hitting game. It can be a weapon. Why not use it?

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I'll throw this out there.

Now that we know the Bruins 1st round pick is number 30. Would anyone give up that pick if it meant the team getting the pick had to take Backes as well? Don't forget that by making that deal at the draft, the team taking Backes has to pay his 3 million signing bonus, so they are taking on more of a financial commitment than waiting until after the bonus is paid, hence the high price (pick No. 30) paid by Boston to move the contract.

Obviously Backes would need to be onboard with whatever team he was going to (I don't think his NMC changes to a NTC until July 1st). But it's speculated he'd be open to working with the Bruins to find a landing spot where he'd be more likely an everyday player.

They don't have a 2nd rounder. And I don't think a 3rd + Backes entices a team to take on his contract.

Not saying I'd do it but I think it's worth exploring. Not to mention it gives the Bruins cost certainty cap-wise in case they want to go shopping on July 1st. Normally I'd want them to stay away from July 1st, but the pedigree of being a win away from a cup is something the Bruins might want to capitalize on when trying to attract star UFAs this summer.

That's what it'd probably take, but I'd never do it. I get that people don't value the #30 pick, but it's so important to continuously add quality young talent to the system. You need to be able to have cheap, impact players in your lineup in order to compete.

I don't think the value matters because they'd never do it. They'd get, deservedly, crucified if they did that, especially after they weren't willing to trade it for a rental at the deadline.

Now, maybe there's a deal to be made where they trade down into the 2nd round. I wouldn't be opposed to that.

Reactions: Strafer

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Bruins fans won't like this comparison, but in a lot of ways this team reminded me of the Canadiens of old. We were outhit in most series, but we didn't wilt. We took hits and we got power plays. We relied on a devastating PP and great goaltending.

I don't think that's a bad recipe, it certainly worked well for the Habs, but STL and CLB showed that there's still value in a heavy, consistent hitting game. It can be a weapon. Why not use it?

I actually think this team more resembles The Hawks recent powerful teams. - but it's all in the eye of the beholder.
In a perfect world you re-up Johansson, move Backes and Moore both for Cap purposes and so that they can actually be on a team where they never have to be a healthy scratch, and target a top flight winger (either side) that's an upgrade on either DeBrusk (as much as I like him) or the revolving cast on RW and create a proper second line. As long as he buys into the work ethic and attitude of the team I'm not as worried if he isn't a super physical player. - like if he was a better version of Coyle or Nash redux or another Johansson - I'm fine.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I agree with you for the most part but I still think they need another big body or two to create space in front of the net and to win battles along the boards. Both in the Tampa series last season and in the SCF our skill players were completely shutdown because they had no space to operate, a lot of perimeter play because they couldn't get to the middle and especially against St. Louis, they had a real hard time getting to rebounds because the Blues D would just out-muscle them. This seems to be a recurring theme with the Bruins when they run into heavy teams and I highly doubt they aren't going to have through one of Washington or Tampa next year.

Don't get me wrong I'm not asking for a goon or anything like that, but I think they could benefit from someone like Michael Ferland (who is a UFA this year that I hope they take a crack at). He'd look good on DKs right wing I think since he seems to thrive when he has guys creating space for him, or drop Pasta down to play with Krejci and Debrusk and put him with Bergy.

St. Louis vaunted physicality never really generated much either. They spent most of the series on the perimeter or chasing the play - as did Boston. Blues weren't able to get a net front presence nor had many second chances themselves. Sure they wore down The Bruins d a bit but that's more that there isn't a Seidenberg or Boychuk, K. Miller back there. A Ferland type player ain't going to help against The Blues d. The Blues d and their two way forwards are very very good.

It's hard for me to articulate properly. I'm a wee bit better just sitting around talking hockey over a few pepsis than trying to type when I've had a couple but... I've been a Bruins fan for a good few decades and like you and nearly every other Bruins fan I love tough physical hard-hitting hockey.

This particular roster isn't that and I don't think they should chase that this summer in reaction. This team plays very controlled yet confident hockey. This whole team looks more like Bergeron every day. Ain't the fastest, most physical, biggest, most talented... but still just incredibly hard to play against and somehow both passionate yet clinical in their approach.

I don't disagree with a big body (I don't want them hunting down some Eberle style player) but I'm currently more concerned that whomever they bring in buys into this constant effort Team play than is able to throw a big hit or drop them. - and once again that's not something I usually/ever think. - although it kinda started last year as I thought Nash was the perfect fit.

Reactions: Clode and BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That's what it'd probably take, but I'd never do it. I get that people don't value the #30 pick, but it's so important to continuously add quality young talent to the system. You need to be able to have cheap, impact players in your lineup in order to compete.

I don't think the value matters because they'd never do it. They'd get, deservedly, crucified if they did that, especially after they weren't willing to trade it for a rental at the deadline.

Now, maybe there's a deal to be made where they trade down into the 2nd round. I wouldn't be opposed to that.

It get it has value, and it's important to add young players to the organization. I'm not even sure I'd do it either.

But I don't think they'd be crucified if they did. Going back in history, the very first deal where a team gave up something of value in order to entice a team to take on a bad contract was when NJ gave up a 1st rounder (26th overall) to San Jose to get San Jose to take on the remainder of Vladimir Malakhov's bad contract. It's not unheard of for a team to give up a late 1st to shed a bad contract commitment.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

Now that we know the Bruins 1st round pick is number 30. Would anyone give up that pick if it meant the team getting the pick had to take Backes as well? Don't forget that by making that deal at the draft, the team taking Backes has to pay his 3 million signing bonus, so they are taking on more of a financial commitment than waiting until after the bonus is paid, hence the high price (pick No. 30) paid by Boston to move the contract.

Obviously Backes would need to be onboard with whatever team he was going to (I don't think his NMC changes to a NTC until July 1st). But it's speculated he'd be open to working with the Bruins to find a landing spot where he'd be more likely an everyday player.

They don't have a 2nd rounder. And I don't think a 3rd + Backes entices a team to take on his contract.

Not saying I'd do it but I think it's worth exploring. Not to mention it gives the Bruins cost certainty cap-wise in case they want to go shopping on July 1st. Normally I'd want them to stay away from July 1st, but the pedigree of being a win away from a cup is something the Bruins might want to capitalize on when trying to attract star UFAs this summer.

That may actually not be a bad thing, especially if Boston trades Krug for a higher first-round pick (or a top-six RW). Heck, Sweeney could also trade Krejci after a career year in points and get a first-round pick (and sign Duchene as a replacement).

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
For me it comes down to whether or not to trade Krug.

Option 1 - resign Johansson and move Krug (alone or in a package) for a top 6 forward.

Move Backes (long shot) otherwise use him as the 13th F.

Marchand - Bergeron - (Krug acquisition)
Johansson - Krejci - Pasta
JDB - Coyle - Heinen
Blidh - Kuraly - Nordstrom

Chara - McAvoy
Grzelcyk - Carlo
Miller/Moore/Clifton/Vaakanainen/Lauzon

Option 2 - Keep Krug - which probably only allows them to sign Johansson or someone similar,

Marchand - Bergeron - Pasta
Johansson - Krejci - ???/JDB
?????? - Coyle - Heinen
Blidh - Kuraly - Nordstrom

Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
Grzelcyk/Miller/Moore/Clifton/Vaakanainen/Lauzon

Obviously, they can trade Miller/Moore, etc. to thin the herd on defense, but none will bring back what Krug will.

Not sure of the cap ramifications in either scenario, as I have no idea what Krug will bring back and if they can move Backes, that obviously gives them more cash to spend on a FA.

I do know, they need to give it a legit shot with this group!

I've seen a lot of this "Krug replacement RW" but I don't think that's realistic. Who is this mystical player? I went through the list of scoring leaders at rw for the past two years and I can't find a single player who makes sense. Mantha? Meh plus why would Detroit want 1 year of Krug? Palmieri? Same question.

If they trade Krug, I think they would be best served getting futures.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

Me personally ? I'm not trading that first unless its to move up in the draft or to acquire a player that can help today. Send Backes to providence if need be,

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Without a doubt was a Canadiens esque performance, but that’s the way to win in today’s nhl. You have big teams like St. Louis, Columbus and Washington and the rest are in the middle or soft

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Explain Columbus sweeping Tampa? Also an outlier? Islanders over Penguins? Sharks making semi finals playing the last pure goon in many playoffs games in Haley?

I agree to a certain extent but if the games were call correctly in the finals we sweep the Blues, They sucked more often than not. Not once did they "outplay" Boston completely.

Bruins outplayed them even in our loses. My bet is Blues will be a lottery team in the next year or two, Well managed teams will see this as well and are NOT thinking ,hey let's see if we can be as good as the Blues next year.

This playoff run was a fluke for BOTH teams. Stay the course and add to this core.

Reactions: sarge88

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital

Getting out of the Backes nightmare contract is key IMO. $6M ia a ton of money. It’s the Bruins student loan debt preventing them from starting their adult life. We can’t underestimate how difficult it will be to move him. Drafting #30 is a first round pick in name only, isn’t it?

Tazz

Oct 4, 2017
Think it's a pipe dream but love to see...

MARCHAND-BERGERON-PASTRNAK
DEBRUSK-KREJCI-ANDERSON
FERLAND-COYLE-SENYSHYN or KUHLMAN
NORDSTROM-KURALY-WAGNER/ACCAIRI

CHARA-MCAVOY
KRUG-CARLO
GRYZLYCK-MILLER
MOORE-CLIFTON

RASK
HALAK

BACKES bought out or demoted whatever option opens up the most cap space.

STUDICKA, FREDERIC, STEEN, VAAK, ANDERSSON etc developing in Providence.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I've seen a lot of this "Krug replacement RW" but I don't think that's realistic. Who is this mystical player? I went through the list of scoring leaders at rw for the past two years and I can't find a single player who makes sense. Mantha? Meh plus why would Detroit want 1 year of Krug? Palmieri? Same question.

Exactly.

That RW everyone is looking for doesn't really exist. If there was a deal to be made it would have happened a while ago.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That may actually not be a bad thing, especially if Boston trades Krug for a higher first-round pick (or a top-six RW). Heck, Sweeney could also trade Krejci after a career year in points and get a first-round pick (and sign Duchene as a replacement).

I'd be blown away if Sweeney trades Krug at the draft. Especially now with the status of Moore and Miller being ready for the start of the season.

To me the path has always been fairly clear, try to get as much out of this group as they can until the end of next season. They'll take one more kick at the can as I see next summer as a turning point for this organization. I don't see them subtracting by moving Krug for a draft pick. They are set for next season in G, D, and up the middle. Try to upgrade the wing position and overall even strength scoring. Especially now as they got so close to a cup. Had they gone out in Round 1 or even 2, I could see them changing course a bit maybe, but not now.

I expect Acciari to get a nice offer elsewhere after he raised his profile in these playoffs. Johansson might of priced himself out. I think they'll ultimately find a taker for Backes one way or another. Kampfer likely leaves for a better opportunity as well. I expect the rest of them back.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Think it's a pipe dream but love to see...

MARCHAND-BERGERON-PASTRNAK
DEBRUSK-KREJCI-ANDERSON
FERLAND-COYLE-SENYSHYN or KUHLMAN
NORDSTROM-KURALY-WAGNER/ACCAIRI

CHARA-MCAVOY
KRUG-CARLO
GRYZLYCK-MILLER
MOORE-CLIFTON

RASK
HALAK

BACKES bought out or demoted whatever option opens up the most cap space.

STUDICKA, FEDERIC, STEEN, VAAK, ANDERSSON etc developing in Providence.

How did you get to that lineup?

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

Then you’re rebuilding

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

that is the problem, it is really hard to find an offer out there that makes sense for Krug for both teams.

Unless some team comes out and makes you just a crazy offer for Krug, I just can't see dealing him, certainly not for futures. You downgrade your 2019/20 team substantially.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Explain Columbus sweeping Tampa? Also an outlier? Islanders over Penguins? Sharks making semi finals playing the last pure goon in many playoffs games in Haley?

NHL fans and teams across the world saw how to handle the Bruins and that is to hit them as much as possible. It's a copy cat league so I expect that to continue. Will the Bruins counter that, I really hope so.

Reactions: Fenian24 and BMC

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I love Krug

He epitomizes what you want on and off the ice

I’d offer 5 at 6.5 M

The Krug - Carlo second pairing could be spectacular for years

I am not saying Krug is better then Karlsson but for this team I’ll take Krug everytime

The only problem with that, is Krugs camp knows he'll get 8- 10 on the open market.

After what he showed in this years playoffs teams are going to be lining up to get him. I'd love for him too stay, love him as a player and a person but-it'll be hard fitting him in. I just don't see it happening, Bruins need to get younger at the center position and with their depth behind the blue-line, Krug just maybe the bargaining piece to bring in that top young Center this team so badly needs heading forward.

Reactions: Bodit9 and Strafer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad