Boston Globe KPD: The Bruins’ dismal 10-game stretch underscores the need for help at the trade deadline. But will that be enough?

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Boston Globe: KPD's dismal 25-year stretch of lazy recycled columns underscores the need for help on the sports desk, but will that be enough?
25 ? More like 40, although it feels like 80. Worst was when the globe had Dumb & Dumber, KPD and Fluto both covering the Bruins. Thankfully Fluto was relegated to an irrelevant media and KPD will soon be relegated to the retirement home.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
What do you think about Jon Cooper as coach if Monty can’t beat Leafs in first round

Cooper gone from Tampa sounds like it

• Haha
Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
And what did you think their chances were when you heard their plan was to elevate two centers and play them above what they really have been for their careers? Or how they had very little scoring depth? I mean not for nothing but who gives a f*** what the armchair quarterbacks and analysts say? Does this look like a team that’s built for the grind of the playoffs? They’re literally living off the loser point to stay high in the standings and there is no loser point jn the playoffs.

Idk if vegas odds makers are armchair GMs and analysts. Idk we also had the preseason guesses and here and most people were projecting playoff team.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
What do you think about Jon Cooper as coach if Monty can’t beat Leafs in first round

I like Coop a lot.

It'a funny going from Claude (and the cup), a guy who would NEVER tinker. To a guy who tinkers so much it's almost mad. I actually liked it at first till it started getting to be TOO much.

Now it's also possible his tinkering has us where we are instead of 9th. And I think much better hockey minds would be the only ones to know.

I still can't help but shake the idea that we have almost no business being this good this year.

Reactions: DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I like Coop a lot.

It'a funny going from Claude (and the cup), a guy who would NEVER tinker. To a guy who tinkers so much it's almost mad. I actually liked it at first till it started getting to be TOO much.

Now it's also possible his tinkering has us where we are instead of 9th. And I think much better hockey minds would be the only ones to know.

I still can't help but shake the idea that we have almost no business being this good this year.
Cooper thread on HF they mostly want him fired

Love it

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Cooper thread on HF they mostly want him fired

Love it

It's such a "what have you done for me lately" business. Tampa last so many guys, and somehow it's still Coop's fault.

I was in Ottawa when they all wanted Jacques gone. The irony that now he's the saviour is delicious. Recency, baby.

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I think you have to be nuts to think this team has what it takes to make a cup run this season. When the real hockey starts and physical play amps up in the playoffs this team has no shot at advancing more than a round or two. They are built for regular season hockey not the playoffs.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Kevin and I got into it a bit many, many years ago here when I was young, immature and thought I knew more than I did.

We worked through it over several PM’s and years later he even donated some very good Red Sox tickets to a fundraiser I was holding for a friend who was battling cancer…..he did this out of the blue, unsolicited after I mentioned the fundraiser on here.

In the end, I’ll never say a bad word about the guy, because:

1. I was wrong, immature and disrespectful and he was right for calling me out. But he was also mature and classy via the PM’s we exchanged and didn’t gloat for all to see.

2. I guarantee I’m not the only person he was generous enough to help….again out of nowhere.

3. His opinions are just as valid as any of ours….big difference is, he was smart/lucky or a combination of the two enough to get be able to paid for his….all while we’re playing make believe sports analysts.

My wife would disagree in reference to yours truly.

He and I have had conflicting opinions over the years for sure. But I wont bash him as a person either Al.

Years ago, maybe 15 or so, I had a similar interaction with him as you. Somehow he found out my son my going through a rough stretch medically. He has a boy the same age that also had some medical issues.

Anyway Dupes went out of his way to track me down at work. He knew the biotech I worked for at the time. He got my direct office line. Surprised the hell outta me.
We chatted for a bit. He showed genuine concern and offered whatever he could do if it could help my boy. Signed stick, meet a player, etc….

Ill still disagree with his outlook on hockey, but as far as a person - no way.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I had several pleasant interactions with him back when he was here many years ago both open forum and via PM. I disagree with his hockey takes as much as anyone, but he was always a thoroughly decent dude and did not deserve the borderline personal shit he took from some.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Idk if vegas odds makers are armchair GMs and analysts. Idk we also had the preseason guesses and here and most people were projecting playoff team.
I’m asking what you thought as a fan that closely follows the team. Vegas only has one goal which is to incent enough people on both sides to hedge their bets for them. What they project and what a team really is aren’t the same because they’re just trying to get people to balance it out for them.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

I like John Cooper, but I don't see Monty getting canned after a first round exit, so the point is moot.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He and I have had conflicting opinions over the years for sure. But I wont bash him as a person either Al.

Years ago, maybe 15 or so, I had a similar interaction with him as you. Somehow he found out my son my going through a rough stretch medically. He has a boy the same age that also had some medical issues.

Anyway Dupes went out of his way to track me down at work. He knew the biotech I worked for at the time. He got my direct office line. Surprised the hell outta me.
We chatted for a bit. He showed genuine concern and offered whatever he could do if it could help my boy. Signed stick, meet a player, etc….

I’ll still disagree with his outlook on hockey, but as far as a person - no way.
Great story

He still wants the rough and tough hockey we grew up with in 60-80’s but that’s not possible

Game has changed

Lot of his takes I agree with - he’s certainly not a 180 off and I’m certainly not all knowing or right about my takes (many of them crap)

It’s the life of a sports fanatic - we remember when we are right we forget the misses

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Great story

He still wants the rough and tough hockey we grew up with in 60-80’s but that’s not possible

Game has changed

Lot of his takes I agree with - he’s certainly not a 180 off and I’m certainly not all knowing or right about my takes (many of them crap)

It’s the life of a sports fanatic - we remember when we are right we forget the misses

Bruins regulary get beat by teams who play physical in the playoffs. Hence only past the 2nd round once under sweeney.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bruins regulary get beat by teams who play physical in the playoffs. Hence only past the 2nd round once under sweeney.
Oh that is it. Wasn’t sure, thanks for the info

They are soft apparently

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour

I grew up near him and can tell you that KPD is and always has been a nice person. His parents were nice as well.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Oh that is it. Wasn’t sure, thanks for the info

They are soft apparently
It's not "apparently"

They are.

They're easy to play against because teams know you can go truck guys all over the ice and you won't get it back in any sort of fashion. We've been seeing this for a while now, people want to bury their heads in the sand and act like it doesn't exist, but it does.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The hardcore fan naturally has an antagonistic relationship with sportswriters because we all think we could do the exact same thing (why else do we post on message boards?). And to get hits and page views the sportswriter has to make some outlandish or provocative claims that the majority recoils at.

I'm sure KPD and Dan Shaughnessy don't believe a good portion of what they write, and if they were just dudes at the bar talking sports we'd have good conversations with them. You just have to separate the character they play as a media personality from the human being behind them. Felger is probably this market's biggest example of a guy who is clearly playing a role and leaning into a character, who is definitely not the guy he is at home with his family and friends.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
I have nothing but mad respect for Kevin.
He's in the HHOF for a reason.
He's praised and critiqued the Bruins' players and organization when it's been warranted.
Some fans have an unhealthy parasocial relationship to teams/players and take team/player critique as personal... not good.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
The hardcore fan naturally has an antagonistic relationship with sportswriters because we all think we could do the exact same thing (why else do we post on message boards?). And to get hits and page views the sportswriter has to make some outlandish or provocative claims that the majority recoils at.

I'm sure KPD and Dan Shaughnessy don't believe a good portion of what they write, and if they were just dudes at the bar talking sports we'd have good conversations with them. You just have to separate the character they play as a media personality from the human being behind them. Felger is probably this market's biggest example of a guy who is clearly playing a role and leaning into a character, who is definitely not the guy he is at home with his family and friends.
Not Shaugnessy. I know people who know him well, from several different angles. He's just an asshole.

• Haha
Reactions: McGarnagle

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Ok then live in the dream world but its a reality they regularly face
I’ve picked them last 4 years on Bruins HF point total to finish anywhere from 7-25 points below what they got

I have them at 98 this season

I posted last week they probably aren’t winning a round

I’ve repeatedly said they are a good B at times B+ team

if I was realistic I’d have respected them more

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I think you have to be nuts to think this team has what it takes to make a cup run this season. When the real hockey starts and physical play amps up in the playoffs this team has no shot at advancing more than a round or two. They are built for regular season hockey not the playoffs.

Who thinks that? But more importantly, before the year started, who thought that?

Nobody pretty much.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I grew up reading KPD first in the paper and then here. His hockey knowledge is deep and unmatched imo. I'm not a fan of many of his takes but he does make you think one way or another. We are lucky he is still writing. It is a shame he no longer posts here.

Any interaction I have had with him has been pleasant and he's salt of the earth.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

These stories don't surprise me. I've always felt that KPD is a decent person.

Perhaps I should have noted that.

However, as a columnist DuPont's perspective is often cynical and joyless.

His flippant denigration of players over the years, who are human beings, is, or should be, beneath him.

This is the stuff that turns me off. KPD certainly knows his hockey.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad