Boston Globe KPD: The Bruins’ dismal 10-game stretch underscores the need for help at the trade deadline. But will that be enough?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Yes, the Bruins will make the playoffs with ease. Yes, every team lifts its game once the rubber hits the icy road beginning with Game 83.

But to borrow a phrase that team president Cam Neely is accustomed to using when things just ain’t going right: This dog won’t hunt. Not as presently constituted. Not with its tracking nose most nights not sniffing around the net and its bark scaring absolutely no one. Fact is, this team barely yelps.

“We haven’t been good enough, right?” coach Jim Montgomery said in Vancouver, the Bruins playing into OT for a fifth straight game for the first time since January 1932. “A lot of points squandered … I have to look at play usage, and who’s on the ice ... I’m probably going to the well too often with the same players.”

Neely and GM Don Sweeney now have this short stretch leading to the league’s March 8 trade deadline to conjure up a reset. Short time span. Tall order.

Despite having a club with more points (81) than 29 of the other original 32 member clubs, the recent 10-game stretch of regular failures is fair warning that a third consecutive flop in the first round looks as inevitable as a Bobby Schmautz slapper shooting comet-like into the old Garden’s second balcony.

People, in a word, duck!

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I don’t have access to the full article, but I’m curious what KPD thinks “help” might look like.

What can this team realistically trade away to acquire anything of value that moves the needle?

You’re struggling to score, so move DeBrusk?
Makes zero sense to me.

The draft pick cupboard is bare.

You’ve got Ullmark. Not sure what he realistically brings in a return.

Maybe you can deal for a bottom pairing stay at home defenseman? Ok?

It feels like they either limp into the playoffs or they get Zacha and DeBrusk going and find their game.

Either way, I just don’t see a recipe for playoff success here. Teams are going to look to
take away Pastrnak physically and force someone else to beat them.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Here ya go, Mr. Smith:

People, in a word, duck!

A month ago, as they departed for the break after a convincing 6-2 matinee win in Philly, things were great. The Bruins stood 12-2-3 (.794) since the much-need Christmas break and a handful of their forwards were on fire.
David Pastrnak hit the break with 33 goals. Ten games later, he has 35.

Jake DeBrusk was 8-6–14 in 16 games prior to the break. He has two points
since, both of those coming in Wednesday night’s OT win in Edmonton, where the Bruins squandered a 4-1 lead. DeBrusk, without a contract beyond this season, is now the No. 1 candidate to be dealt prior to March 8.
Brad Marchand, a sizzling 11-8–19 in that 17-game stretch, has collected 2-3–5 over the last 10 games. One goal was shorthanded, the other at even strength, which means he is 0-for-10 on the advantage. The captain has scored one power-play goal since Jan. 8.

Charlie Coyle, without a goal on the recent 7-game homestand flop, scored a pair Thursday night in Calgary. He was cooking at a career-best 8-13–21 in those 17 games leading up to the break. Now he’s 2-4—6 in the last 10.
Advertisement

The Neely-Sweeney “needs’ list as of this morning runs deep.

▪ With Hampus Lindholm expected out for a protracted stretch, back-end help has to be priority. That said, it was a priority before Lindholm went down Monday with his knee injury.

As much as they will miss his skill, the Bruins already had not replaced the back-end moxie factor that exited the lineup when Connor Clifton departed as a UFA to Buffalo. Parker Wotherspoon has added a smidgen of that here and there, but much more is needed.

▪ Relief on the penalty kill. Both Coyle and Marchand receive ample time on the PK and PP units. It looks like time-on-ice has caught up with both of those thirty-somethings. Montgomery has to draw from others to ease their burden, or Sweeney and Neely have to find one or two PK drones in the trade market. Playing both of those guys to exhaustion is not the cure.

▪ Goal scoring. Remember the days when “Get us a sniper, Harry!” was the cure to all Bruins’ needs? Decades later, especially after these last 10 games, it stlll resonates. It’s just not that easy.

Rick Nash and Tyler Bertuzzi were top-six deadline acquisitions made in that spirit, and the results were, let us say, mixed at best. Don’t be looking for that guy now.

More realistically, they’ll move DeBrusk for a guy whose size and game (read: drool factor) can plug into the top six and buy (read: muscle up) some space for the likes of Marchand, Coyle, Pastrnak, and the where-did-he-go? Pavel Zacha.
Advertisement

Side note here: A Canucks strategy was to pummel Pastrnak, early and often. The star Czech winger took two stiff hits early from 6-foot-6 Nikita Zadorov and then Noah Juulsen, both in the opening 10 minutes. Pastrnak finished 0-0–0, but kept firing, landing six of his nine shots.

Hammering Pasta will be high on every opponent’s list the rest of the way, for these next 23 games …and beyond, however long that ends up being.

“We played a desperate team that were on their toes and physical,” underscored Montgomery at the end of Saturday’s sputtering. “I think that’s why were in our end a lot.”

One team desperate, and the other team right now on its way to Palookaville.

Kevin Paul Dupont can be reached at [email protected].
Show comments

Hey, KPD: I can't abide your noxious, cutesy prose for more than a few minutes before I have to run outside for some fresh air. You are a good writer when you want to be. Unfortunately, 90% of the time that isn't the case.

Like your pal CHB, you're a hack. Do yourself and the rest of us a favor. Retire.

Which you should have done 20 years ago.

Last edited:

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
Commitment one way or the other is too much to ask from these guys, probably, but whichever approach they're erring towards, they should take full advantage of what's there and commit. If you're not going to empty the cabinet to win, then sell everything and call guys up.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Commitment one way or the other is too much to ask from these guys, probably, but whichever approach they're erring towards, they should take full advantage of what's there and commit. If you're not going to empty the cabinet to win, then sell everything and call guys up.
The cabinet is pretty much bare.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
6 regulation wins during a quarter of the season is not going to cut it.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
KPD is a hack, always has been, always suggesting stupid trades and saying things that make you wonder if he even watches the games. The B's are as good as any team in the league right now, so why do they HAVE to make a deal before the deadline? It's hard to imagine any trade that wouldn't be a wash, a slight upgrade in one area at the cost of a downgrade in another, or still another mortgaging of the future by giving up still more draft picks.

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
I don’t have access to the full article, but I’m curious what KPD thinks “help” might look like.

What can this team realistically trade away to acquire anything of value that moves the needle?

You’re struggling to score, so move DeBrusk?
Makes zero sense to me.

The draft pick cupboard is bare.

You’ve got Ullmark. Not sure what he realistically brings in a return.

Maybe you can deal for a bottom pairing stay at home defenseman? Ok?

It feels like they either limp into the playoffs or they get Zacha and DeBrusk going and find their game.

Either way, I just don’t see a recipe for playoff success here. Teams are going to look to
take away Pastrnak physically and force someone else to beat them.
This is it for me. Too many problems and not enough bargaining chips

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
KPD is a hack, always has been, always suggesting stupid trades and saying things that make you wonder if he even watches the games. The B's are as good as any team in the league right now, so why do they HAVE to make a deal before the deadline? It's hard to imagine any trade that wouldn't be a wash, a slight upgrade in one area at the cost of a downgrade in another, or still another mortgaging of the future by giving up still more draft picks.
Exactly. Where was this pompous ass when they were winning.

Mails it in for clicks.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Yes, the Bruins will make the playoffs with ease. Yes, every team lifts its game once the rubber hits the icy road beginning with Game 83.

“We haven’t been good enough, right?” coach Jim Montgomery said in Vancouver, the Bruins playing into OT for a fifth straight game for the first time since January 1932. “A lot of points squandered … I have to look at play usage, and who’s on the ice ... I’m probably going to the well too often with the same players.
Is that a shot at management about the lack of depth on this team? That’s what it sounds like to me.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

I think deals to improve this season's team can be made. It shouldn't be that difficult to move a roster player/middling prospect for two bangers, one on D, one up front.

That would be a modest upgrade, and heartening for a neanderthal like me.

Lohrei and Poitras should be off the table. Lysell, who has improved after the Mouge publicly dressed him down, is a chip. Unless he brings better return than he will in the off-season, they should not deal Linus.

Hanifan is solid though perhaps not as high end as many believe. I don't know, but that's what some analysts say.

We'll see,

1708908683824.png

Reactions: sarge88 and BMC

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Is that a shot at management about the lack of depth on this team? That’s what it sounds like to me.
I read it as him self criticizing because of how much he leans on the top of the roster. And I agree. Against the nucks he benched the 4th line for the last 15 min as the team pissed away their 2 goal lead.

Reactions: BMC

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
They took their shot last year. They just can’t make any deal that will help significantly. They cannot give away any more assets to go for it. You’re seeing the effect of it now. They will have to work on it like any other team. What they have is what they will go into the playoffs with. One or two players doesn’t change a team mentality.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Bruins dismal stretch against the top 20% of the league was probably a lot closer to what they were gonna be this year anyway, and yadda yadda no need to panic.

Variance earlier this year was massively in our favor. It caught up. We're probably a little better than this, and a little worse than we were before. If we're a little better than this, we have a puncher's chance in any series we're in. And that too, nobody expected for this year.

Reactions: BMC

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Here ya go, Mr. Smith:

People, in a word, duck!

A month ago, as they departed for the break after a convincing 6-2 matinee win in Philly, things were great. The Bruins stood 12-2-3 (.794) since the much-need Christmas break and a handful of their forwards were on fire.
David Pastrnak hit the break with 33 goals. Ten games later, he has 35.

Jake DeBrusk was 8-6–14 in 16 games prior to the break. He has two points
since, both of those coming in Wednesday night’s OT win in Edmonton, where the Bruins squandered a 4-1 lead. DeBrusk, without a contract beyond this season, is now the No. 1 candidate to be dealt prior to March 8.
Brad Marchand, a sizzling 11-8–19 in that 17-game stretch, has collected 2-3–5 over the last 10 games. One goal was shorthanded, the other at even strength, which means he is 0-for-10 on the advantage. The captain has scored one power-play goal since Jan. 8.

Charlie Coyle, without a goal on the recent 7-game homestand flop, scored a pair Thursday night in Calgary. He was cooking at a career-best 8-13–21 in those 17 games leading up to the break. Now he’s 2-4—6 in the last 10.
Advertisement

The Neely-Sweeney “needs’ list as of this morning runs deep.

▪ With Hampus Lindholm expected out for a protracted stretch, back-end help has to be priority. That said, it was a priority before Lindholm went down Monday with his knee injury.

As much as they will miss his skill, the Bruins already had not replaced the back-end moxie factor that exited the lineup when Connor Clifton departed as a UFA to Buffalo. Parker Wotherspoon has added a smidgen of that here and there, but much more is needed.

▪ Relief on the penalty kill. Both Coyle and Marchand receive ample time on the PK and PP units. It looks like time-on-ice has caught up with both of those thirty-somethings. Montgomery has to draw from others to ease their burden, or Sweeney and Neely have to find one or two PK drones in the trade market. Playing both of those guys to exhaustion is not the cure.

▪ Goal scoring. Remember the days when “Get us a sniper, Harry!” was the cure to all Bruins’ needs? Decades later, especially after these last 10 games, it stlll resonates. It’s just not that easy.

Rick Nash and Tyler Bertuzzi were top-six deadline acquisitions made in that spirit, and the results were, let us say, mixed at best. Don’t be looking for that guy now.

More realistically, they’ll move DeBrusk for a guy whose size and game (read: drool factor) can plug into the top six and buy (read: muscle up) some space for the likes of Marchand, Coyle, Pastrnak, and the where-did-he-go? Pavel Zacha.
Advertisement

Side note here: A Canucks strategy was to pummel Pastrnak, early and often. The star Czech winger took two stiff hits early from 6-foot-6 Nikita Zadorov and then Noah Juulsen, both in the opening 10 minutes. Pastrnak finished 0-0–0, but kept firing, landing six of his nine shots.

Hammering Pasta will be high on every opponent’s list the rest of the way, for these next 23 games …and beyond, however long that ends up being.

“We played a desperate team that were on their toes and physical,” underscored Montgomery at the end of Saturday’s sputtering. “I think that’s why were in our end a lot.”

One team desperate, and the other team right now on its way to Palookaville.

Kevin Paul Dupont can be reached at [email protected].
Show comments

Hey, KPD: I can't abide your noxious, cutesy prose for more than a few minutes before I have to run outside for some fresh air. You are a good writer when you want to be. Unfortunately, 90% of the time that isn't the case.

Like your pal CHB, you're a hack. Do yourself and the rest of us a favor. Retire.

Which you should have done 20 years ago.
You summed it up nicely. Other than Pasta, this team has too many streaky players. Now they all cold at the same time.

It obviously affects the PP, which is killing us. Sometimes, when you are faring poorly 5 on 5, the PP can save you, but not this team. For several years, this team was a killer at 5 on 5 hockey. Remember the 2011 playoffs? PP was dismal, but 5 on 5, it was no contest.

Realistically, all we can hope for at the TDL is a third pair physical dman and a bottom 6 PKer.

For next season, this team has a lot of holes. Top 6 center, top 6 winger (if they sign a center, Zacha can move back to LW filling that void), 4th line center who can win faceoffs and kill penalties (I wonder, if Sweeney had known that Nosek would play for $1 million, he would have re-igned him), top 4 dman (I vote for Hanifin), and a 3rd pair physical right-shot dman to play with Lohrei.

Obvious that Griz is playing his last season here. Perhaps JDB as well.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
You summed it up nicely. Other than Pasta, this team has too many streaky players. Now they all cold at the same time.

It obviously affects the PP, which is killing us. Sometimes, when you are faring poorly 5 on 5, the PP can save you, but not this team. For several years, this team was a killer at 5 on 5 hockey. Remember the 2011 playoffs? PP was dismal, but 5 on 5, it was no contest.

Realistically, all we can hope for at the TDL is a third pair physical dman and a bottom 6 PKer.

For next season, this team has a lot of holes. Top 6 center, top 6 winger (if they sign a center, Zacha can move back to LW filling that void), 4th line center who can win faceoffs and kill penalties (I wonder, if Sweeney had known that Nosek would play for $1 million, he would have re-igned him), top 4 dman (I vote for Hanifin), and a 3rd pair physical right-shot dman to play with Lohrei.

Obvious that Griz is playing his last season here. Perhaps JDB as well.

* Actually, aside from "Here ya go, Mr. Smith" (SmithFormerAgent) and snide comments about the writer who produced this piece, the summery emanated from the Globe's senior hockey analyst, Kevin Paul DuPont.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
* Actually, aside from "Here ya go, Mr. Smith" (SmithFormerAgent) and snide comments about the writer who produced this piece, the summery emanated from the Globe's senior hockey analyst, Kevin Paul DuPont.
Thanks for the correction, my friend. I agree with you about KPD's snide comments. Very disrespectful of the people targeted. I do think, however, that he knows his hockey, and that, technically, he writes very well.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Boston Globe: KPD's dismal 25-year stretch of lazy recycled columns underscores the need for help on the sports desk, but will that be enough?
If you think FSG is cheap on the baseball field, wait until you see what they pay the folks on the copy desk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad