Boston Globe KPD: The Bruins’ dismal 10-game stretch underscores the need for help at the trade deadline. But will that be enough?

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
You summed it up nicely. Other than Pasta, this team has too many streaky players. Now they all cold at the same time.

It obviously affects the PP, which is killing us. Sometimes, when you are faring poorly 5 on 5, the PP can save you, but not this team. For several years, this team was a killer at 5 on 5 hockey. Remember the 2011 playoffs? PP was dismal, but 5 on 5, it was no contest.

Realistically, all we can hope for at the TDL is a third pair physical dman and a bottom 6 PKer.

For next season, this team has a lot of holes. Top 6 center, top 6 winger (if they sign a center, Zacha can move back to LW filling that void), 4th line center who can win faceoffs and kill penalties (I wonder, if Sweeney had known that Nosek would play for $1 million, he would have re-igned him), top 4 dman (I vote for Hanifin), and a 3rd pair physical right-shot dman to play with Lohrei.

Obvious that Griz is playing his last season here. Perhaps JDB as well.
I agree with the bolded part above, and I'd be fine with that.

I'm also fine with standing pat and riding the current group through the post season. I don't see this team as a Cup contender either, and I don't think there's a realistic move at the deadline that will suddenly make us one. I'd just as soon stand pat, save the draft capital, and take our chances.

If you wanna move Griz, or DeBrusk for some assets in return, fine, but don't expect miracles.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Thanks for the correction, my friend. I agree with you about KPD's snide comments. Very disrespectful of the people targeted. I do think, however, that he knows his hockey, and that, technically, he writes very well.

Actually, the snide comments at the bottom of the post were mine.

KPD does know hockey, and is a member of the HHOF. He's capable of writing thoughtfully and well, as when he addressed the Mitchell Miller business and the circumstance with Milan.

But, to me, his lame "nicknames" -- "John Casey and the Amazing Technicolor Five Hole," "Landon of the Lost," "The Lach Net Monster," which became "Let 'em In Lacher" when Blaine flamed out -- are gratuitously disparaging.

"To wit" (another tiresome phrase inserted into almost everything he writes):

"More realistically, they’ll move DeBrusk for a guy whose size and game (read: drool factor) can plug into the top six and buy (read: muscle up) some space for the likes of Marchand, Coyle, Pastrnak, and the where-did-he-go? Pavel Zacha."

Much of the time his snarky stylistic flourishes are both lazy and tedious.

Which is one definition of a hack.

Am I the only one who likes the legendary KPD?

I'm sure he has his fans. I'm not one of them.

nonoffensiveusername

May 23, 2009
I don't want them to do anything at the trade deadline except get rid of dead weight if they can (JVR, Forbort, Shatt). Play as many rookies as you can. Don't care about wins/losses at this point. Poitras comes back next year, Lohrei beasts it up, someone else comes in from camp, profit.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Boston Globe: KPD's dismal 25-year stretch of lazy recycled columns underscores the need for help on the sports desk, but will that be enough?

There's plenty of talent in the wings.

I don't know what the Globe is waiting for.

People love to dump on KPD. As is often the case, he’s not wrong; people just seem to hate hearing the obvious.

This team will dissolve in the playoffs. Many people here have already noted that all teams need to is hammer Pasta and smother Marchand and we’re done.

I don't disagree with his analysis, or yours.

I just don't like the way he delivers the message, and never have.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
Actually, the snide comments at the bottom of the post were mine.

KPD does know hockey, and is a member of the HHOF. He's capable of writing thoughtfully and well, as when he addressed the Mitchell Miller business and the circumstance with Milan.

But, to me, his lame "nicknames" -- "John Casey and the Amazing Technicolor Five Hole," "Landon of the Lost," "The Lach Net Monster," which became "Let 'em In Lacher" when Blaine flamed out -- are gratuitously disparaging.

"To wit" (another tiresome phrase inserted into almost everything he writes):

"More realistically, they’ll move DeBrusk for a guy whose size and game (read: drool factor) can plug into the top six and buy (read: muscle up) some space for the likes of Marchand, Coyle, Pastrnak, and the where-did-he-go? Pavel Zacha."

Much of the time his snarky stylistic flourishes are both lazy and tedious.

Which is one definition of a hack.

I'm sure he has his fans. I'm not one of them.
I thought the nicknames were hilarious. I also liked the Shane Morrison- “Sh, no one man is Orr” thing that he did. That and when he said he was “still seeing too much Sunrise“ in Nathan Hortons game shortly after we got him.
I’ve always enjoyed his stuff. There’s a reason he’s in HOF writer and for me it’s always been the humor that he adds. To each his own, though.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I thought the nicknames were hilarious. I also liked the Shane Morrison- “Sh, no one man is Orr” thing that he did. That and when he said he was “still seeing too much Sunrise“ in Nathan Hortons game shortly after we got him.
I’ve always enjoyed his stuff. There’s a reason he’s in HOF writer and for me it’s always been the humor that he adds. To each his own, though.
Absolutely.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Am I the only one who likes the legendary KPD?

Kevin and I got into it a bit many, many years ago here when I was young, immature and thought I knew more than I did.

We worked through it over several PM’s and years later he even donated some very good Red Sox tickets to a fundraiser I was holding for a friend who was battling cancer…..he did this out of the blue, unsolicited after I mentioned the fundraiser on here.

In the end, I’ll never say a bad word about the guy, because:

1. I was wrong, immature and disrespectful and he was right for calling me out. But he was also mature and classy via the PM’s we exchanged and didn’t gloat for all to see.

2. I guarantee I’m not the only person he was generous enough to help….again out of nowhere.

3. His opinions are just as valid as any of ours….big difference is, he was smart/lucky or a combination of the two enough to get be able to paid for his….all while we’re playing make believe sports analysts.

I wish this was all in person - in person you really get the full greatness

My wife would disagree in reference to yours truly.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
The draft pick cupboard is bare.
Major Sweeney's trades involving the draft picks going back to 2018:

Bertuzzi for 1st and 4th
Orlov and Hathaway for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, Smith
Lindholm for 1st, 2nd, 2nd, Vaak, Moore
3rd for Vladar
Hall and Lazar for 2nd, Bjork
Mike Reilly for 3rd
Kase for 1st, Andersson, Backes
Marcus Johansson for 2nd, 4th
Coyle for 4th, Donato
Kampfer, 4th, 7th for McQuaid
Wingels for 4th
Rick Nash for 1st, 7th, Lindgren, Spooner, Beleskey
3rd for Vatrano

Coyle and Lindholm are the only regular Bruins on the roster.
Five 1st round and five 2nd round picks are gone.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

Bertuzzi for 1st and 4th
3rd for Vladar
Mike Reilly for 3rd
Coyle for 4th, Donato
Wingels for 4th
3rd for Vatrano

Your top three were big investments.

Reactions: Sevren

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Bertuzzi for 1st and 4th
3rd for Vladar
Mike Reilly for 3rd
Coyle for 4th, Donato
Wingels for 4th
3rd for Vatrano

That’s the nature of deadline trades, particularly when you don’t have cap space to retain people

And unfortunately some of those picks were used to create any little bit of cap space

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Will Calgary take a 2044 and 2045 first round pick for Hanafin?
You can’t trade that far ahead according to Hockey Genius dot com

For whatever is left in Lindholm.

Makes Sweeney sound out to be worse than he is. He had to make those trades.
Left of Lindholm? Shit did he lose limbs

Kevin and I got into it a bit many, many years ago here when I was young, immature and thought I knew more than I did.

We worked through it over several PM’s and years later he even donated some very good Red Sox tickets to a fundraiser I was holding for a friend who was battling cancer…..he did this out of the blue, unsolicited after I mentioned the fundraiser on here.

In the end, I’ll never say a bad word about the guy, because:

1. I was wrong, immature and disrespectful and he was right for calling me out. But he was also mature and classy via the PM’s we exchanged and didn’t gloat for all to see.

2. I guarantee I’m not the only person he was generous enough to help….again out of nowhere.

3. His opinions are just as valid as any of ours….big difference is, he was smart/lucky or a combination of the two enough to get be able to paid for his….all while we’re playing make believe sports analysts.

My wife would disagree in reference to yours truly.
But your kids wouldn’t

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

Bertuzzi for 1st and 4th
3rd for Vladar
Mike Reilly for 3rd
Coyle for 4th, Donato
Wingels for 4th
3rd for Vatrano

The only trade there I have issue with is needing to tie a first to Backes to dump his contract.

I have no issue with the moves last deadline to try and push a juggernaut team to a cup.

There’s plenty to crap on Sweeney about, that list of trades to me just isn’t one of them.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
DuPont just mails it in from 30,000 feet
So much this. It's really easy to say the team needs help, but with what cap space? Any upgrade in one area will result in a roster player having to move to create the cap space needed, which will result in a downgrade somewhere else. This isn't their year. Simply accept the truth and don't do something stupid because of pressure.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
How exactly are the bruins underdogs? They had the 7th highest odds to win the cup headed into this year. Not only were they projected to be a playoff team, but also in the top half of playoff teams.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
How exactly are the bruins underdogs? They had the 7th highest odds to win the cup headed into this year. Not only were they projected to be a playoff team, but also in the top half of playoff teams.
And what did you think their chances were when you heard their plan was to elevate two centers and play them above what they really have been for their careers? Or how they had very little scoring depth? I mean not for nothing but who gives a f*** what the armchair quarterbacks and analysts say? Does this look like a team that’s built for the grind of the playoffs? They’re literally living off the loser point to stay high in the standings and there is no loser point jn the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad