Boston Globe KPD: Patrice Bergeron is taking a beating, so why aren’t the Bruins coming to his defense?

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
The goaltenders too.

Cassidy, what an idiot.

Your attempted satirical point doesn't register with me because it is BOTH goalies that *magically* start playing their best hockey of the year (by far) after Cassidy is out.

Under Cassidy: 2.8 GA/game
No Cassidy: 1.6 GA/game*

*Best in league, by far. Top teams opponents in this stretch, like Tampa and Alberta boys.

One could else argue that the D is playing much cleaner --but that's just pretty damning for Cassidy as well.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Your attempted satirical point doesn't register with me because it is BOTH goalies that *magically* start playing their best hockey of the year (by far) after Cassidy is out.

*Best in league, by far. Top teams opponents in this stretch, like Tampa and Alberta boys.

One could else argue that the D is playing much cleaner --but that's just pretty damning for Cassidy as well.

You might be right and I had observation and felling going like you are saying. . When Cassidy comes back, it will be interesting to compare under Cassidy and no Cassidy again, sometimes it is just a coincidence.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

So basically what you are saying is the team plays better without Cassidy as coach, correct?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It's what happens when you are a one line team as well... not saying anyone should allow it but what's the risk. Take Bergeron out and this team misses the playoffs. Matching penalties with him is a win 99% of the time for the other team.

Basically there is little risk of physical retribution, little risk of L2-4 scoring if you get matching penalties, etc. It's the same reason MacAvoy get's run - they know you take him out and it's clear sailing for a W.

Maybe Bergeron needs to play a few games like he did back in year 1 when he was a missile and just destroyed guys with hits. Volchenkov (sp?) was the big one I remember - after that Marty and the vets told him to lay off a bit as it's pro and people's living.

I honestly believe the Bruins don’t play an eye for eye because most of them don’t won’t to stand up for themselves after delivering crunching hits to the better players on the other team because today you sometimes have to fight for clean hits. You have a few but nowhere near enough

Reactions: Gordoff and ylekot

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Trent Frederic:

You don’t want to lose two points, but then again, it’s Bergy and we probably should’ve done more there, if I’m being honest,” Frederic said. “Anytime someone like that gets hit, we need to do something and make sure that’s not really our identity and that we don’t really take that.”
Huh... I wonder where that is coming from.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I miss Quaider. He would have jumped in for Bergy in a split second. Or rearranged somebody's face on the next shift.

Actually he would have done that for any of his teammates.

Quaider was the man.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Absolutely, the culture isnt there anymore. It feels like they only have 3 true Boston Bruins players, Marchand Bergeron and MaC who really cares and are ready to sacrifice. The rest are just there to relax, play some hockey and collect cheques.

This is exactly it. It appears to be a team of mercenaries more than anything, around the top line and McAvoy.

Especially with this past offseason. Players playing for salary and extending careers more than the fans or the jersey.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
It's what happens when you are a one line team as well... not saying anyone should allow it but what's the risk. Take Bergeron out and this team misses the playoffs. Matching penalties with him is a win 99% of the time for the other team.

Basically there is little risk of physical retribution, little risk of L2-4 scoring if you get matching penalties, etc. It's the same reason MacAvoy get's run - they know you take him out and it's clear sailing for a W.

Maybe Bergeron needs to play a few games like he did back in year 1 when he was a missile and just destroyed guys with hits. Volchenkov (sp?) was the big one I remember - after that Marty and the vets told him to lay off a bit as it's pro and people's living.

Bergeron has taken more runs at players, along with Marchand, than I can remember in recent years. They are both trying to lead, but so few are following.

Reactions: BMC and BBruins

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Trent Frederic:

NESN would finish the article with that garbage about message received. Similar to the Gryz comment post game two games ago where he commented on the team being called out and defending each other when, in fact, there was zero sign of it in that game either.

Talk, talk, talk. Actions are worth so much more.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Get Lucic on a plane asap. Eat his money.

f*** the points. Your CAPTAIN. Your star player gets hit with a cheap shot and your mentality is 1. We don't wanna lose 2 points? And 2. We probably should of done more.

THAT is one of the reasons why this team lacks substance.

It’s so incredibly eye opening that they are concerned about one regular season game and getting two points over sending a message and a tone that can carry them for the rest of the year.

Just the epitome of playing scared and shows this team is walking on egg shells from the players all the way up to management.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

I wonder if it helps them play more free because they know without Cassidy allowed on the road trip, every little mistake won’t end up in post game rant to the media.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
the sad part is they think no team has ever taken an instigator and still won?

Even if you lose at the end of the night the more important thing in a December game is having the highlights talking about the beating the guy who hit your captain took than 2 pts. If we establish that there are no consequences for hitting Bergeron then every 3rd and 4th line plug is gonna start taking liberties. And if that happens we'll have Bergeron at 80% for the playoffs if we make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad