Boston Globe KPD: Patrice Bergeron is taking a beating, so why aren’t the Bruins coming to his defense?

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Major house cleaning is in order. Needs to be done while there is still plenty of season left, though. Coach needs to go. DS needs to go. I've had enough of this grinder/has-been obsessed GM, and I've had enough of this soft as baby shit culture. It's a disgrace to the spoked B. It's also terribly disrespectful to Bergy and Marchy who signed team-friendly discounts so that the Bs would have a better chance of building something special. Enough is enough. Bring in some brains for the front office that know how to build a proper balanced hockey club, and bring in a coach with a higher ceiling than what's currently here. The house needs to be cleaned sooner rather than later. Beyond tired of this rinse and repeat nonsense with DS and Cassidy every year (DS more so than Cassidy).

100% on board. This organization needs a clean out. When you don't defend each other or the captain, a future HOFer & top 10 Bruin, there are major problems. It is unacceptable. Their most skilled player, who is a top 10 player in the league & a midget, is the only one coming to his defense, there are major problems. Get rid of this soft as shit hockey team.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
In regards to Frederic, management has bottled him up to try and make him play " the right way ", which has been the team's battle cry since the 2018 season. Sweeney told Frederic's agent to tell Frederic to stop fighting so much before his callup and Cassidy took a shot at at Frederic to the media last year during his benching, saying ( words may not be 100 percent accurate ) that he doesn't like it when guys try to make fighting about themselves and turn things into a clown show. 100 percent disagree with Cassidy. Frederic was effective and being disruptive without hurting the team, unless there was something going on with him in the lockers behind the scenes, which I doubt.

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
It’s a mindset/culture of a team to fight for each other, this team doesn’t have it.
Absolutely, the culture isnt there anymore. It feels like they only have 3 true Boston Bruins players, Marchand Bergeron and MaC who really cares and are ready to sacrifice. The rest are just there to relax, play some hockey and collect cheques.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Time to protect Bergeron

It’s been a topic growing in fervor, especially in light of recent games, but why hasn’t the team done more to respond to opponents who appear to be targeting captain Patrice Bergeron for singular (and physical) attention in games?
Bergeron is a veteran of more than 1,000 physical wars, but those years have taken their toll. 14 years ago, his Hall of Fame career almost wasn’t, and could’ve been ended by a hit from behind. In the 2013 Stanley Cup final series against Chicago, he played Game 6 with a separated shoulder, cracked rib, torn rib cartilage and a punctured lung.

That’s the tip of the iceberg(eron) when it comes to injuries, but the B’s captain is clearly a player whose toughness has always been measured in his insane threshold for pain as opposed to being someone known for leveling punishing hits or dropping his gloves regularly, as others tend to define the term.

No, Bergeron has weathered myriad wounds, hurts and serious, even life-threatening injuries to keep playing hockey and give the Bruins his best, even if he were reduced to trying to skate on one leg. He’s certainly done the one arm thing. If there is a player who has earned a fanatical zeal to protect his physical person if not honor, it is No. 37.

Bruins Brunch: Taking stock of the B's and what to expect (hockeyjournal.com)

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Dupes is right.
It’s a friggen disgrace.
Should be like this.

Biggest farce. Many players got cheap shots with no response when he was here also. He didn’t respond as much as he should have IMO. He can’t skate anymore. Give it a rest. If he was good, Washington would have resigned him. Give me a break. Haggerty making up shit for clicks.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Absolutely, the culture isnt there anymore. It feels like they only have 3 true Boston Bruins players, Marchand Bergeron and MaC who really cares and are ready to sacrifice. The rest are just there to relax, play some hockey and collect cheques.
I think your right. Big Mac gets it. You can see it in his game and how he presents himself. At least one young player is showing it.

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
It seems like the B's are more worried about picking up an instigator penalty, and going on the PK if they stand up for a teammate...and I hate this because sometimes it is worth it to take a penalty and even to give up a PP goal to bring a team together and show that they are willing to have each other's backs. It shouldn't have to be #63 or #73 to be the ones to stick up for their captain and I would love to see them return to the "pack" mentality in sticking up for each other, but I am not holding my breath waiting for this to happen.

I know I am probably a bit of a neanderthal when it comes to this, but seeing Bergeron get run without any consequences leaves a bad taste.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
It seems like the B's are more worried about picking up an instigator penalty, and going on the PK if they stand up for a teammate...and I hate this because sometimes it is worth it to take a penalty and even to give up a PP goal to bring a team together and show that they are willing to have each other's backs. It shouldn't have to be #63 or #73 to be the ones to stick up for their captain and I would love to see them return to the "pack" mentality in sticking up for each other, but I am not holding my breath waiting for this to happen.

I know I am probably a bit of a neanderthal when it comes to this, but seeing Bergeron get run without any consequences leaves a bad taste.

Especially in a year where his contract is ending and his future is uncertain. If I am him and I am taking a beating from any random Joe NHL Player a couple times a week I know what way I'd be leaning when the season ends.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
It's what happens when you are a one line team as well... not saying anyone should allow it but what's the risk. Take Bergeron out and this team misses the playoffs. Matching penalties with him is a win 99% of the time for the other team.

Basically there is little risk of physical retribution, little risk of L2-4 scoring if you get matching penalties, etc. It's the same reason MacAvoy get's run - they know you take him out and it's clear sailing for a W.

Maybe Bergeron needs to play a few games like he did back in year 1 when he was a missile and just destroyed guys with hits. Volchenkov (sp?) was the big one I remember - after that Marty and the vets told him to lay off a bit as it's pro and people's living.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Spot on. Sometimes you have to take a stand even if it costs you.

I certainly wouldn't mind an instigator or even a game misconduct to one Bruin for defending another Bruin. Hell I'd stand up and cheer for him.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Imagine allowing Patrice freaking Bergeron to have the sh*t beat out of him all season long as a sendoff. It makes me sick to my stomach.
I don't think teams are targeting Bergeron, that broken-nose hit aside, which I don't think was an intent to injure. He's been giving as good as he's been getting. Do we know that he doesn't feel his teammates have his back? Anyway, perhaps because he isn't playing hurt at the moment, this is maybe the best he's played in a couple of years, so I'm not at all sure this is his sendoff season. Also, people demanding a return to the days of the enforcer are overlooking all that's been learned about concussions in recent years and the tragic later life of so many famous hockey enforcers. The league is lawsuit-wary, as it should be.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
It's what happens when you are a one line team as well... not saying anyone should allow it but what's the risk. Take Bergeron out and this team misses the playoffs. Matching penalties with him is a win 99% of the time for the other team.

Basically there is little risk of physical retribution, little risk of L2-4 scoring if you get matching penalties, etc. It's the same reason MacAvoy get's run - they know you take him out and it's clear sailing for a W.

Maybe Bergeron needs to pay a few games like he did back in year 1 when he was a missile and just destroyed guys with hits. Volchenkov (sp?) was the big one I remember - after that Marty and the vets told him to lay off a bit as it's pro and people's living.
I remember reading once that a guy on another team wanted to fight Bergeron in his rookie season, and Bergeron said he'd go, but Lapointe was standing there and told the guy "if you want to fight Bergeron, fine. But you have to fight me first." :D

A few years ago when Bergy fought Wheeler, I'm of the opinion that he only did it because Marchand had tried to protect him earlier in the game, and Bergy probably didn't want it to look like he couldn't fight his own battles and had to have his smaller linemate do it. :laugh: I could be off base on that, though.

Reactions: BMC

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Don’t get me wrong, I love to see us take 5 out of 6 on a tough road trip.

That said, I agree that the beating Bergeron has taken of late is utterly unacceptable.

More worrisome is that it’s deeper than simply not having some toughness in the lineup (although, oh, how I miss you Kevan Miller). It’s that I truly don’t know what kind of team Sweeney is trying to build.

1) Speed and talent offensive.
2) Big, physical and nasty.
3) Defensive steel trap.
4) Some combination of the above.

I would argue that right now we are kind of a mishmash grab bag of things. Serious question, does anyone have a feel for the “type” of team Sweeney is building —after looking at our core, the new adds, and the roster in the minors/ranks? I don’t.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
369 fights in the NHL last season. Instigator isn't called very often

20211212_163558.jpg

Reactions: The National

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
In regards to Frederic, management has bottled him up to try and make him play " the right way ", which has been the team's battle cry since the 2018 season. Sweeney told Frederic's agent to tell Frederic to stop fighting so much before his callup and Cassidy took a shot at at Frederic to the media last year during his benching, saying ( words may not be 100 percent accurate ) that he doesn't like it when guys try to make fighting about themselves and turn things into a clown show. 100 percent disagree with Cassidy. Frederic was effective and being disruptive without hurting the team, unless there was something going on with him in the lockers behind the scenes, which I doubt.
Frederic playing better without idiotic Cassidy around too.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
I remember reading once that a guy on another team wanted to fight Bergeron in his rookie season, and Bergeron said he'd go, but Lapointe was standing there and told the guy "if you want to fight Bergeron, fine. But you have to fight me first." :D

A few years ago when Bergy fought Wheeler, I'm of the opinion that he only did it because Marchand had tried to protect him earlier in the game, and Bergy probably didn't want it to look like he couldn't fight his own battles and had to have his smaller linemate do it. :laugh: I could be off base on that, though.

I don't doubt that Bergeron prefers taking care of himself. Having said that this isn't about him, it's about the team sticking up for one another. I don't expect in this day's NHL another Hnidy face bashing of a Niskanen. But I would expect that irrespective of Bergeron wanting to man up that guys would but the body and wood on guys in the course of the game on people that take liberties. If in some bizzaro world it is Bergeron that has neutered them out of doing that, it's time for a pep talk from mgmt and some of the vets / alumni to say it's "OK" and needed to play that way.

Anyone think we would have won the 11 Cup if they didn't have each others' backs or if the team told TT to cool off and Looch to let bygones be bygones with Horton out cold??

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Bruins lack any identity. When you are worrying about why the team doesn’t defend their captain then you are too deep into the problem. The “leadership” should have been asking the toughness question after the first dozen games where the team had never dictated the physical tone of the game. Recent transgressions on Bergeron not being addressed are on Cassidy, but the root cause of the problem is Sweeney.

*BINGO.*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad