Proposal: Kovalchuk vs Puljujarvi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yes, because five years of NHL stardom in the prime of his career is totally comparable to an 8 game pump and dump of a 36 year old fallen star. Good one.

There is 16 games until TDL. IF Kovy continues his production at near PPG or above, that would make a sample set of 24 games. In that scenario, you think its still pump and dump?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
There is 16 games until TDL. IF Kovy continues his production at near PPG or above, that would make a sample set of 24 games. In that scenario, you think its still pump and dump?

Absolutely, just a slightly longer one. But you’d be more justified in what you think he’s worth at that point. I just hope we don’t pay it. It’s a poor bet.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Can we just shut down this thread. I don’t think the Oil are interested in Kovalchuk. His talents are still legitimate, but he’s flaky as f***. I think we’re pretty happy with our locker room right now. Zero reason to add a wild card to that mix.

If we’re targeting a guy, I hope it’s JGP out of Ottawa. Price will obviously be higher, but worth it.

Habs have always loved their sketchy Russians and it always seems to work out for them (Kovalchuk, Kostitsyns, Radulov, Kovalev). That doesn’t mean other teams value them the same way.

Hard pass on Kovy.

Reactions: BudBundy

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
“he’d be good with McDavid” is literally the worst argument you could possibly think of. Everyone is varying degrees of good with McDavid. He got 27 goals out of Maroon FFS.

Kovy would be finishing off RNH's crappy passes like no one else can. Because its hard to finish off crappy passes.
Can we just shut down this thread. I don’t think the Oil are interested in Kovalchuk. His talents are still legitimate, but he’s flaky as ****. I think we’re pretty happy with our locker room right now. Zero reason to add a wild card to that mix.

If we’re targeting a guy, I hope it’s JGP out of Ottawa. Price will obviously be higher, but worth it.

Habs have always loved their sketchy Russians and it always seems to work out for them (Kovalchuk, Kostitsyns, Radulov, Kovalev). That doesn’t mean other teams value them the same way.

Hard pass on Kovy.

Hey, you forgot Markov, Emelin, Petrov and V. Bure.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Kovy would be finishing off RNH's crappy passes like no one else can. Because its hard to finish off crappy passes.

RNH is playing with Draisaitl at the moment and they’ve been on fire, RNH has 13 points in his last 8 games. Their line was assembled when Kailer Yamamoto was called up.

Since then:

RNH: 6-7-13 +9
Yamamoto: 3-3-6 +6
Draisaitl: 5-9-14 +4

With how a good 8 games inflates value around here, what’s he worth now? Top 5 pick? Top 3? ;)

Reactions: BudBundy

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
RNH is playing with Draisaitl at the moment and they’ve been on fire, RNH has 13 points in his last 8 games.

With how a good 8 games inflates value around here, what’s he worth now? Top 5 pick? Top 3? ;)

He'd be worth at least a 2nd round pick. Which is what i am asking for if Kovy keeps up the pace.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
ah, yes, RNH and Kovalchuk have similar value. That’s completely a thing a sane person would say.

A completely sane person would concede that if Kovy produced 24 pts in 24 games by the TDL, he would be worth a 2nd. That's a tall order. If he accomplishes it the Habs will get their quote. 8 games is not enough. If Kovy gets zero points in the remaining 16 games then obviously there would be no suitors at all.

RNH is irrelevant in the scheme of things.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

Were those guys sketchy though? I have respect for Markov. Val Bure pooped out kids with the Full House chick, so he seems pretty normal. Don’t know as much about Emelin and Petrov.

I wasn’t simply naming Russians that played for the Habs, all the guys I named were sketchy as f***.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Were those guys sketchy though? I have respect for Markov. Val Bure pooped out kids with the Full House chick, so he seems pretty normal. Don’t know as much about Emelin and Petrov.

I wasn’t simply naming Russians that played for the Habs, all the guys I named were sketchy as ****.

lol, how were they sketchy? That's hilarious!

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
A completely sane person would concede that if Kovy produced 24 pts in 24 games by the TDL, he would be worth a 2nd. That's a tall order. If he accomplishes it the Habs will get their quote. 8 games is not enough. If Kovy gets zero points in the remaining 16 games then obviously there would be no suitors at all.

RNH is irrelevant in the scheme of things.

You brought up RNH for no particular reason and got dunked on. *shrug* don’t like it, keep “irrelevant” players out of the conversation.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You brought up RNH for no particular reason and got dunked on. *shrug* don’t like it, keep “irrelevant” players out of the conversation.
Dunked on? lol.

Tell you what, since i am feeling guilty about absolutely dominating you in these forums, i will let you think you dunked on me regarding the alleged unnecessary discussion of RNH. That way you have some self esteem left.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Dunked on? lol.

Tell you what, since i am feeling guilty about absolutely dominating you in these forums, i will let you think you dunked on me regarding the alleged unnecessary discussion of RNH. That way you have some self esteem left.

Yes, dunked on. In an attempt to prop up Kovalchuk’s questionable value you brought up a player that’s crushed Kovalchuk’s production over the same timeframe. :laugh: Tough thread for you and what I can only assume is Cobra’s 11 year old
brother.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Absolutely, just a slightly longer one. But you’d be more justified in what you think he’s worth at that point. I just hope we don’t pay it. It’s a poor bet.
I just wonder what do you think you can afford to get at the deadline and what do you think Puljujärvis value is at this point?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Yes, because five years of NHL stardom in the prime of his career is totally comparable to an 8 game pump and dump of a 36 year old fallen star. Good one.
it said before chicago did so when panarin was a rookie/ unsigned undrafted in the khl

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
If Edmonton wanted Kovalchuk and saw him as an upgrade, they would have tried to sign him when he was available for nothing. They didn’t. A good two weeks doesn’t change that, and Holland won’t change the mindset he’s had for 7 months just because Kovalchuk is on a hot streak (and shooting nearly 20%). Pretty cut and dried. It’s a no-brainer NOT to do.

Frankly, our “need for help on the wings” is massively overblown.

RNH: 33 pts
Kassian: 28 pts
Neal: 28 pts
Yamamoto: 6 pts in 8 games

Those are the guys in our top six W roles over the last 8 games, and we’re 6-1-1 in that stretch. Every report I’ve seen says we want a 3C or a long term top 6 winger. Kovalchuk is neither.
To be fair, beside RNH, this is a bad group of wingers.

Yamamoto is a rookie that has 34 games of NHL experience.

Kassian is bad. He is a proven commodity: he is not a top 6 winger, he is at best 3rd liner, at best. Please, don't try to convince me he is a Jari Kurri. He'll cash in somewhere after having a career year with McDavid at 29, but I hope for the Oilers they don't fall in the Lucic trap for a second time and give him any sort of term... But I think Holland is smarter than that, he's no Chiarelli, I think he learned from his Detroit mistakes.

Neal has basically stopped producing in November.

Not saying Kovalchuk is the only solution, but that team needs talent on the wing in the top 6, and it is not overblown. I feel they'll get a player somehow to help them.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
lol, how were they sketchy? That's hilarious!

Both Kostitsyns and Radulov have bailed on their team before (Sergei with the Bulldogs, Andrei and Radulov with the Preds - Radulov twice actually). Kostitsyns were linked to a major drug dealer/HA in an investigation - at the very least, they were familiar with each other. Kovalchuk bailed on the Devils, then pouted with the Kings. Kovalev trashes his own team in the media. I’ll also remember the Glen Murray playoff goal forever as how not to try and sell a penalty and pout.

I think it’s fair to say teams would probably look for a little higher caliber of character than what those guys have shown.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Sorry, but playing in SM-Liiga IS beer league.

Out of all the silly things that have been said in this thread, which is many, this ranks right at the top, just behind everything that “Cobra Commander” has posted.

Such a weird thing to say, and it shows a complete lack of understanding about hockey outside your own team.

Reactions: ninetyeight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad