Rumor: Kovalchuk to Hawks?

ModryJazyk

Go Hawks !
Feb 22, 2010
Bratislava
We heard that same crap from some here about Emery, then Carcillo, then Tootoo, recently about Evander Kane, James Neal and now Kovalchuk. Beggars can't be choosers and the team needs a goal scorer. Hawk fans need to get over themselves with these goody-goody attitudes.

Kovalcuk is 3.5 year younger than Hossa, it's not the same player who deserted from NJ.It's not like he'll come to NHL after 4 years break and easy life in Russia and will score 30 goals.Also, like Radulov, he is probably overstimating himself , so he will ask big money.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Are there legs to this rumor? Is this likely to happen?

i will not dispute it but the only thing i found out was that kov was bench. after being bench, he said he was going back to america to play hockey next season.

other than that nothing else. so i am not going to dispute it.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
This is nonsense. With our cap situation combined with this guys attitude issues there is no way the Hawks are dumping a core guy to make room for him.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
The Hawks have cap space if they want it. Don't know why it's so hard to understand Hossa's LTIR position.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
If Kovy is willing to sign for 4-5 million each for even 2 years, the Hawks could certainly afford him. He would need to remain unsigned until the first week of the season when we can LTIR Hossa and are allowed to then go over the cap for a replacement player. For the second year of the deal, we have bonus overages (mostly Panarin) of 3.5 million coming off the cap so there is certainly room in year 2 also. The only contract of note at this point for next Summer is Hartman. Absolute worst case scenario, Harman blows up into a 25 goal 50 point guy and you agree to a deal, but sign him after you can LTIR Hossa in October. I would be leery of going beyond 2 years as you then would be getting into Schmaltz's next deal in year 3.

All that said....hell the f no on Kovy. Quitting on teams all over the globe is the guys mo. Besides, we need to invest resources and cap space into solidifying the D. Maybe Forsling is ready to blossom into a top 4 D, but at this point I would not put all my eggs in that basket given what our other choices are. Even if you think Forsling is that guy starting this fall...we'll have to pay him in a couple Summers too.

If we are dumping 4-5 million into anything at this point it needs to be into a 20 something year old middle pairing left handed defenseman and I would much rather we figure out something in the 2-3 million range so we have a bullet left to use at the trade deadline.

I also think we will see Hossa's cap go away fairly quickly (once the league officially allloows LTIR for his condition) in subsequent years. The cost to move 5.275 cap hit that only costs 1 million in actual salary will have value to a number of bottom feeders that will struggle to spend to the cap floor. Look at the payroll commitment Vegas has next year and ask who they could possibly spend money on to get to the cap floor when there isn't an expansion draft for them to take a handful of crappy contracts? Arizona isn't much better in terms of what they might spend cap on to get to the floor. I would not be surprised to see the Canucks go Toronto and burn it to the ground when the twins come off the books next Summer.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I still don't know where this alleged rumor comes from. The main board thing I see mentions other teams. Seems unlikely.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Thanks for posting that.

Eeek, umm I don't see it happening. They would want a lot to do some kind of sign and trade. The Hawks don't have a lot to give. Unless they want Anisimov...?

Me neither and I guess Devils want some kind of Dman or 1st + something. For reasonable caphit for two years, like $3mil per, I would give our first and a guy like Radke. That's basically 50% retained from Shero if the rumours of Kovy's demands are accurate. I think at that cap hit he is still pretty good.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
The Devils don't have much bargaining power. They can trade him for something smallish or Kovy plays in the KHL again.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
They already have a $250k a year attribution on their cap for Kovy...so if they retain another $750k that will.not kill them..BUT 750k buys us another spot for a player under our cap ..So if Kovy willing to sign for $ 4.75 million cap hit /yrover 4 years with us only capping it at $4million a year ..I think we do that..but No NMC or NTC involved (just in case we gotta trade him) ..We could however pay him bigger in tge first 2 years ...Point is. .alk that would not be an albatross ..because we replace Hossa for 2 spots and the term on Kovy would be only the same 4 years Hossa had at less cap cost and that extra spot covered.

Also Hossa was going to be a 3rd liner those 4 years if he played
..K9vy can be a 2LW for at least the next 3 years before we worry about hom playing the last one at age 38 or buying out that last year.

As to character. Well..we have the greats in Toews Keith Seabs and eve Sharp back to help Kovy understand the Hawks "highercstandards for conduct...right?

But he is an elite sniper..can't find that much around tge NHL today ..With Kane setting hom up he might put in 40 goals ...besides..we will need at leat 1 Russian speaker to.mentor "the next one" (Altybarmakyan) when he arrives in the show after 2 or 3 more seasons...right?*Anisimov long gone by then since the great Schmaltz will be the 2C "star" ....9f course tge 2019 lockout over a new CBA will when ended given us lots of cap space as we use an amnesty buy-out on Seabrook
..don't work..Stan has it all figured out...right? THEN we will have the cap space for the big raise to Schmaltz who will be a huge star once he assumes the 2C after we trade Anisimov in tge summer of 2018 ...Yes Stan has it all planned out.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I would be all over IK. His production will instantly replace Hossa's offensive production and he has the makings to be nasty on the PP with Kane. He is a pure sniper that could help.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I am a bit weary of this idea. A one dimensional sniper who isn't as good as the one we traded away. If the cap hit is 4mil or less for 3 or less years, I wouldn't mind it.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I don't really get the mindset that Kovalchuk would poison the room as opposed to the room would force Kovalchuk to smarten up.

That said, all the 'issues' are largely media driven. Nobody he's played with has a bad thing to say about his professionalism, including Ray Ferraro, who's typically ready to unload on any guy he views has attitude issues.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I am a bit weary of this idea. A one dimensional sniper who isn't as good as the one we traded away. If the cap hit is 4mil or less for 3 or less years, I wouldn't mind it.

Funny thing is that if he does become a Hawk you will start worshiping him immediately and tell us all about how great Q and Stan are for fixing him and how the media is blowing his problems out of proportions and how he is ten times better than Panarin and even he at 6.6 million he is cheap, your homerism is just hilarious :laugh:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Funny thing is that if he does become a Hawk you will start worshiping him immediately and tell us all about how great Q and Stan are for fixing him and how the media is blowing his problems out of proportions and how he is ten times better than Panarin and even he at 6.6 million he is cheap, your homerism is just hilarious :laugh:
:help:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
We heard that same crap from some here about Emery, then Carcillo, then Tootoo, recently about Evander Kane, James Neal and now Kovalchuk. Beggars can't be choosers and the team needs a goal scorer. Hawk fans need to get over themselves with these goody-goody attitudes.

Kane is stupid, that's why.
Neal would be great pickup.
Kovalchuk is not like the others and Cancer. I don't Need him and rather look elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad