Rumor: Kovalchuk to Hawks?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
IIRC, it would be a sign and trade. I assume NJ could sign and retain 50%.

So his old contract is irrelevant, well beyond the fact that only NJ can sign him to a new contract... But they then essentially have to turn around and trade him, but if they trade him to Chicago they have to retain for us to fit him in.

That just seems like they're doing him a favor then at that point, and why the hell would they bother to do that? Unless they're getting a monster return back, but we don't really have anything we could send them back as a monster return.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Well yeah, they would probably be getting a 1st rounder if they signed and retained 50%. I'd be ok with it as a 1 and done show me contract.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I dont think it works... would be interesting tho.

ModryJazyk

Go Hawks !
Feb 22, 2010
Bratislava
Kovalcuk is clasless clown, he won't fit to Hawks organization.
Prague 2015 IIHF WC final game, Canadians w/ Crosby(c) won gold medals after they defeated Russia 6-1 and that idiot Kovalcuk (c) pulled whole Russian team from the ice before Canadian anthem, what's not only against championship rules but it's absolutely misbehaviour.Only seven players didn't listen to Kovalcuk icl. Panarin, Tichonov, Malkin, Oveckin and Dadonov and that idiot Kovalcuk came for them later.

Not to mention his desertion from NJD.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Yeah, if there's one thing the Blackhawks are real sticklers against, its players with a sketchy history of poor off-ice behavior. *snicker*

Beggars cant be choosers. The Blackhawks are beggars right now. If a player with skill is willing to play on an affordable deal, or a trade can be made to bring on skill in exchange for bloat, you bring them on.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I'd fear the term of addinga Kovy even with it potentially being some Hossa deal moving trade.

Funny there is rumors today of the Hawks adding a different Russian LW or trading the remaining Russian center for Galy.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
it all goes down to what the hawks have to give up. if it is reasonable, the gamble is worth it.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well ...how much is the sign for and how long the term? Does it have to be a sign and trade by NJ or can they just trade his signing rights which they somehow still have for his re-entry to the NHL?

Either way ..what does he want as to pay and term...34 yrsvold now ...I would be loathe to offer any more than a 3 yr term unless yr 4 was for a small amount .maybe part of the solution would be bonus clauses which Hawks could extend out to next season ...IF NJ retained sone and also paid a signing bonus then obviously what we trade them back is of higher value than if we just paid the whole thing.

What woukd we have to give up?

We already do not have a 2nd and 4th round pick in 2018..loathe to give our 1st rounder and badicalky wipe out the 2018 draft...But you do not want to give up any of the first 3 round picks we have for 2019 2020 or 2021 as thise 3 drafts are going to ve extremely exceptional in future nhl talent and are very very deep drafts.

So do we have to give up DeBrincat? Think..if SaaS and Kovy are are 2 top LWs for 3-4 more years then DeBrincat ought to be traded ..no room on the top 2 lines unless hebplays RW and wr dump Panik on line #1. OR do wr trade Sikura's rights and say that if NJ cannot sign him next summer then we will give up some other prospects in our system? So what price tp get Kovalchuk in terms of cap cost ,term and return we give NJ?

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Meh Stan doesn't have balls or the skill to do this deal the right way where he actually wins the trade, he can only lose trades, if Kovalchuck comes at 50% retained prepare to get hosed losing 1st, Schmaltz and Debrincat

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Schmaltz is better than Kovalchuk and signed for nothing for 2 more years. Debrincat would be a very tough pill to swallow. I don't know, if Stan thinks it makes sense and it gets it done, maybe.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Hmmmm....too many variables to assess. Not really sure how he equates in the NHL anymore in terms of what he's worth, his ability to play within a system, etc. Yes, for the right price, I would be interested, but I'm not sure what that price should be.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Schmaltz is better than Kovalchuk and signed for nothing for 2 more years. Debrincat would be a very tough pill to swallow. I don't know, if Stan thinks it makes sense and it gets it done, maybe.

VGCkKWK.gif

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I'd fear the term of addinga Kovy even with it potentially being some Hossa deal moving trade.

Funny there is rumors today of the Hawks adding a different Russian LW or trading the remaining Russian center for Galy.

TSN guys were saying Galchenyuk is close to re-signing with Habs.

Kova? If he can still pull the trigger he would be most welcome short term,(that is if possible from a financial standpoint).

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Maybe I should walk that back, lol. More trade value, IMO, lol. It's funny tho, I knew I was talking straight out of my ass as soon as I read it and just let it sit there and see if someone called me out. Good on you.

Last edited:

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
What are the odds Kovalchuck would sign with the Hawks for the mere pittance the Hawks could afford to pay him? Winning Power Ball has better odds.

But it is kinda neat to look at:

Saad-Toews-Panik
Kovalchuk-Anisimov-Kane
Sharp-Schmaltz-Hartman

Not a bad top-9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad