Rumor: Kovalchuk to Hawks?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
We heard that same crap from some here about Emery, then Carcillo, then Tootoo, recently about Evander Kane, James Neal and now Kovalchuk. Beggars can't be choosers and the team needs a goal scorer. Hawk fans need to get over themselves with these goody-goody attitudes.

Tootoo and Carcillo didnt have bad 'lockerroom' reputations by the time they came to the Blackhawks. It was pretty well known (or widely perceived/reported, I should say), they had conquered their personal demons by that point. They were simply well known as poor hockey players hanging around the league by conning GMs into giving them money for bringing zero value on the basis of outmodded notions like deterrence.

Similarly for Neal. He's an aging, declining, one-dimensional shooter that cant help himself but deliever gross cheap shots and take brain dead penalties. He makes Andrew Shaw look like a brain surgeon. And for all that, he brings a 5mil cap hit this season. Thats why people didnt want him, not any lockerroom baggage.

Emery, you have a point. But the Blackhawks DID pick him up. So it seems lockerroom baggage isnt a deal breaker for the organization provided they think you can offer some value.

Id take EKane or Kovi on the team for the right price, because they're good hockey players. I'd avoid Neal.

Last edited:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Tootoo and Carcillo didnt have bad 'lockerroom' reputations by the time they came to the Blackhawks. It was pretty well known (or widely perceived/reported, I should say), they had conquered their personal demons by that point. They were simply well known as poor hockey players hanging around the league by conning GMs into giving them money for bringing zero value on the basis of outmodded notions like deterrence.

Similarly for Neal. He's an aging, declining, one-dimensional shooter that cant help himself but deliever gross cheap shots and take brain dead penalties. He makes Andrew Shaw look like a brain surgeon. And for all that, he brings a 5mil cap hit this season. Thats why people didnt want him, not any lockerroom baggage.

Emery, you have a point. But the Blackhawks DID pick him up. So it seems lockerroom baggage isnt a deal breaker for the organization provided they think you can offer some value.

Id take EKane or Kovi on the team for the right price, because they're good hockey players. I'd avoid Neal.

Except those players also bring psychological impact because even though it isn't a protection or deterrence the players feel it is and like those guys in the room. Just like Rutherford acquiring Reeves probably isn't a solo decision or upper up alone one but based on lockerroom of guys worried for a Crosby head hit again.

And Carcillo had ability, one of the greatest Kane highlights ever was from the Carcillo-Kane-Hossa line where Kane spinorama passes cross the ozone to Hossa with space opened by Carcillo driving to the net

ModryJazyk

Go Hawks !
Feb 22, 2010
Bratislava
deserting from the team, causing international hockey scandal by leaving the ice for CAN anthem and gold medals ceremony and blackmailing own team is not just "bad reputation".Also he did it a year-two ago as 33-34 years old adult man, not as stupid kid, so there is zero chance he would mature.
"Hey coach Q, if you will scratch me once again because my lazy play, I'm leaving off back to Russia and you can eat my cap"

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Tootoo played his ass off last year and outperformed Desi by a long shot. I read you guys *****ing about Tootoo all season and it was tough. He did a great job not making mistakes, connecting on his passes, playing D first but knowing when to jump up. Do I want him playing much this year? Of course not, the team should have enough talent to force him out of the lineup. Last year, they certainly did not. He should have played more. Desi should have always been scratched before him.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Except those players also bring psychological impact because even though it isn't a protection or deterrence the players feel it is and like those guys in the room. Just like Rutherford acquiring Reeves probably isn't a solo decision or upper up alone one but based on lockerroom of guys worried for a Crosby head hit again.

And Carcillo had ability, one of the greatest Kane highlights ever was from the Carcillo-Kane-Hossa line where Kane spinorama passes cross the ozone to Hossa with space opened by Carcillo driving to the net

Agree on Carcillo. He's hardly a 1st line talent but Carcillo could actually play hockey a bit and was an effective player when his head was screwed on right. Taking the monkey business aspect out of it, he had some playing ability.

As for Reeves, there is no justification in my book. Reeves literally does nothing to deter a potential Crosby head hit again. I know you weren't claiming that, but I can't believe even Sidney Crosby himself is thinking "oh good, I'll never take a headshot again now that he is here". That said, there are still players who do have that mindset and mentally buy into that notion, so there's probably a lot of truth to your statement where that is concerned, but for me it would make absolutely no difference. I agree with your overall point, though.

Still, in no universe am I trading a 1st Round pick for friggin' Reeves if I'm a GM. Still don't get that at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad