Proposal: Kovalchuk to CGY

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
If we move our first i would rather target a younger RWer with size who can play top 6( Coyle type would be perfect).

This deal is just too much for Kovy, even if we get rid of Brouwer.

sureloss

Jan 5, 2006
Flames fans are beyond stupid to say no to this deal. A playoff protected 1st and two average prospects in exchange for a top-6 forward with easy 30+ goal potential AND getting rid of Brouwers contract. It would help our team a ton for the next few seasons while Gio is still elite.

FWIW McKenzie said in his podcast that he doesn't expect the Devils to get more than a 2nd or 3rd for Kovalchuk. With that in mind, your proposal is a massive overpayment.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
If we move our first i would rather target a younger RWer with size who can play top 6( Coyle type would be perfect).

This deal is just too much for Kovy, even if we get rid of Brouwer.

Ya Coyle would be perfect but no way we can get him for a package of a pick and B prospects. I don't see how this is too much for Kovy given that clearing Brouwers contract would be the best thing to happen to the Flames this off season. We would only lose around 1-2 million max depending on Kovalchuks contract, and we would still have tons of cap to figure out our goaltending and 2nd pair RD while adding a potential 40 goal scorer to play alongside Johnny and Money

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
FWIW McKenzie said in his podcast that he doesn't expect the Devils to get more than a 2nd or 3rd for Kovalchuk. With that in mind, your proposal is a massive overpayment.

I saw that but the fact that we're able to get rid of Brouwers contract would make it ok to move a 1st in my opinion. Maybe remove one of Klimchuk or Hickey but otherwise I think it's a fair deal that would help Calgary a ton going forward, and it would likely be enough to convince NJ to pull the trigger.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Flames fans are beyond stupid to say no to this deal. A playoff protected 1st and two average prospects in exchange for a top-6 forward with easy 30+ goal potential AND getting rid of Brouwers contract. It would help our team a ton for the next few seasons while Gio is still elite.

WTF is a playoff protected 1st? You mean a lottery protected 1st?

This is way overpay and I don't think Kovy is the right player to target.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
To NJ:
2018 1st (playoff protected)
D Brandon Hickey
LW Morgan Klimchuk
RW Troy Brouwer

To CGY:
Ilya Kovalchuk

Huh? What? Did I miss something where 34 year old-out of the NHL for 5 years-bolted to Russia once could do it again-Kovalchuk was worth that much? I don't want him anywhere near Calgary, but just talking value, if the Devils get even a 1st for him I'd say that's more than enough. Klimchuk and Hickey may not be blue chip pieces but they are both pretty solid young players. Those 2 plus a 1st could land something more useful than Kovalchuk.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

And apparently you aren't a Flames fan as your name would suggest because this is just horrible. Plus the fact that you called those two average prospects says a lot. They may not be elite, but they also aren't average. You are definitely out to lunch on this one. Read the replies, you're the only Flames "fan" that wants any part of this.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I like it for NJ.

For everyone who is saying this is terrible, it is near IMPOSSIBLE to gauge Kovalchuk's trade value at this point. For all we know, Kovalchuk can be worth far more than the OP. Nobody knows as of now.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Give up a 1st to move Brouwer?

We don't need to move Brouwer that badly.

Terrible idea.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Huh? What? Did I miss something where 34 year old-out of the NHL for 5 years-bolted to Russia once could do it again-Kovalchuk was worth that much? I don't want him anywhere near Calgary, but just talking value, if the Devils get even a 1st for him I'd say that's more than enough. Klimchuk and Hickey may not be blue chip pieces but they are both pretty solid young players. Those 2 plus a 1st could land something more useful than Kovalchuk.

What better player could we get for this type of package? Maybe if we didn't add Brouwer we could get a player with more value, but I don't see any realistic targets we can afford without giving cap the other way. Hickey and Klimchuk are both solid young players sure, but they definitely aren't A level prospects and are buried on our depth chart. I think it's worth it in order to get rid of Brouwer and add a guy who could be our best offensive weapon other than Johnny.

Give up a 1st to move Brouwer?

We don't need to move Brouwer that badly.

Terrible idea.

Well giving up a 1st and adding a potential top-line RW to play with Johnny and Money.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Terrible proposal. Way too much for Kovalchuk, and I like Kovalchuk.

It is a lot to give up for a player that is getting up there in age, and who's best seasons are behind him. Sure, I bet he is still effective right now, but I also bet that he is declining and every year will show that. He is also a flight-risk as well.

Besides, why would you want to stack the top line? If Kovalchuk came to Calgary, I would put him on Bennett's wing, as Bennett deserves better than playing with scrubs. That would balance the Flames scoring lines into 3 good lines. You don't see any other team really throwing their three best scorers on the top line any longer.

Hickey isn't an average prospect, and neither is Klimchuk either. I would bet that Hickey ends up making the NHL, and probably as a top 4 defender at that (elite skating, great first pass, and generally good at everything). Klimchuk just needs to stay healthy for a change, but he has such a wonderful snipe of a shot, and is also good in all 3 zones. Just needs to stay healthy.

It will be interesting to see where he goes and for how much, but I would be surprised if that package came close to this.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
What better player could we get for this type of package? Maybe if we didn't add Brouwer we could get a player with more value, but I don't see any realistic targets we can afford without giving cap the other way. Hickey and Klimchuk are both solid young players sure, but they definitely aren't A level prospects and are buried on our depth chart. I think it's worth it in order to get rid of Brouwer and add a guy who could be our best offensive weapon other than Johnny.

Well giving up a 1st and adding a potential top-line RW to play with Johnny and Money.

Moving Brouwer is a luxury, not a necessity. He is overpaid 1-1.5 mil per year IMO. I'd rather buy him out than do this deal. I don't even think buying him out is necessary. He's not that bad, but definitely an upgrade on last season Brouwer would be nice.

You ask who can we get who is better and I ask why we would chase Kovalchuk who likely wouldn't be much more than a rental. That's very short sighted.

Lastly, if we're moving those types of assets, I think it's safe to say we should be moving assets like these for a goalie over a 1 RW. We have adequate options on 1RW. Upgrading our 1RW from "alright" to "great" before goalie and #4 RHS RD is folly.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Moving Brouwer is a luxury, not a necessity. He is overpaid 1-1.5 mil per year IMO. I'd rather buy him out than do this deal. I don't even think buying him out is necessary. He's not that bad, but definitely an upgrade on last season Brouwer would be nice.

You ask who can we get who is better and I ask why we would chase Kovalchuk who likely wouldn't be much more than a rental. That's very short sighted.

Lastly, if we're moving those types of assets, I think it's safe to say we should be moving assets like these for a goalie over a 1 RW. We have adequate options on 1RW. Upgrading our 1RW from "alright" to "great" before goalie and #4 RHS RD is folly.
Nicely said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad