Proposal: Kovalchuk to CGY

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Flames fans are beyond stupid to say no to this deal. A playoff protected 1st and two average prospects in exchange for a top-6 forward with easy 30+ goal potential AND getting rid of Brouwers contract. It would help our team a ton for the next few seasons while Gio is still elite.

LOL! that's giving up to much, why'd you do that? We don't need to give up Brouwer that bad, not worth overpaying for.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
To NJ:
2018 1st (lottery protected)
D Brandon Hickey
LW Morgan Klimchuk
RW Troy Brouwer

To CGY:
Ilya Kovalchuk

Honestly... this is the rare Flames trade on this board where I say yes, I do it.

Hickey may not even sign with us, Klimchuk is an okay prospect who could be a good 3rd liner but he's no Kovalchuk, AND we replace Brouwer's contract with Kovalchuk? Sign me up. The lottery-protect 1st is tough to swallow for just 34YO Kovalchuk, but add in Brouwer and the value makes sense for us.

Kudos. It's not often I see a Flames trade that I don't laugh at us pretty much getting robbed.

What's missing however, is Kovachuk's cap hit.

Hard no from this devils fan. Don't want anything to do with Brouwer's albatross of a contract.

Brouwer would look good on a line with Hall and Zajac. Probably the best fit for him in the NHL allowing him to get back to being a 20+ goal guy. He may be a passenger, but he's a passenger with hands, who can play PP, and be a meat shield on the 5-on-3 kills.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Ya this is a bit far fetched. Nobodys giving up a first to tske a flyer on Kovalchuck. Theres too much uncertainty around him. This is the type of move that gets GMs fired

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Honestly... this is the rare Flames trade on this board where I say yes, I do it.

Hickey may not even sign with us, Klimchuk is an okay prospect who could be a good 3rd liner but he's no Kovalchuk, AND we replace Brouwer's contract with Kovalchuk? Sign me up. The lottery-protect 1st is tough to swallow for just 34YO Kovalchuk, but add in Brouwer and the value makes sense for us.

Kudos. It's not often I see a Flames trade that I don't laugh at us pretty much getting robbed.

What's missing however, is Kovachuk's cap hit.

Brouwer isn't so bad that he needs to be dumped with that many assets.

Agree on the issue with Kovalchuk's cap hit, but IMO he's a rental which is the true reason I dislike the idea. Now is not the time to throw assets at a rental. I doubt we'd have Kovalchuk for a season or two especially with the historical issues (unsure why we have such issues or reputation) we have had with retaining Russian players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad