Value of: Kovalchuk Rights to Edmonton (Mod Warning #42)

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
How can Oilers not afford him on a one year deal? He's 35 and he's not gonna make bank, plus if he wants to go into the NHL he'll take less.

Because we are close to the salary cap thanks to raises and performance bonuses and still have other places to improve upon. It also isn't worth giving up much in trade for him, he will sign a 1 year deal and go to free agency after.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
We don't want Hall infecting what we're building. Keep your wonder boy. He's already disliked by a small amount of your fa base on these boards. And when you see the full picture of Hall , NJ will toss him too.

Take your revisionist history and shove it. Yes, we're a better team now without Anton Belov, Corey Potter and Martin Marincin as our "shutdown D". Hall was a world class player who busted his arse for absolutely nothing, without any help, for years. You think he wouldn't be killing it with our current D, Lucic, Maroon, Kassian, McDavid and Draisaitl around? Hell Eberle should be sending him half of his $6M salary since it's Halls push that earned it for him.

Be happy with Larsson. I am too. But no slagging Hall, because it's simply BS.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
EDM fans pre-2016: Larsson is trash, a bust, dont want him

EDM fans post-2016: absolutely not moving Larsson

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
EDM fans pre-2016: Larsson is trash, a bust, dont want him

EDM fans post-2016: absolutely not moving Larsson

Who knew actually watching a player and having team success with that player can positively impact the fans opinion of said player.

Shocking stuff, I know.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Who knew actually watching a player and having team success with that player can positively impact the fans opinion of said player.

Shocking stuff, I know.

dont worry, looking back I could tell EDM fans formed their opinions with close to zero actual facts. just vilifying being proven right

also laughable how during the MANY Larsson to EDM threads, several Devils fans including myself would settle for nothing less than Hall and were universally lambasted by EDM fans, but as soon as the trade went off, Hall was suddenly a cancer and the root of all evil in Edmonton. and based on what ive seen from Hall within NJ, theres zero evidence for that either.

I think EDM fans live on a cloud where they create magical facts to suit whatever narrative works for them. im personally very happy for Larsson to be in the playoffs and wish him well. I dont even have 1% of the bitterness towards the leaving player that EDM does, despite being the team that is currently the worse of the two :laugh:

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario
dont worry, looking back I could tell EDM fans formed their opinions with close to zero actual facts. just vilifying being proven right

also laughable how during the MANY Larsson to EDM threads, several Devils fans including myself would settle for nothing less than Hall and were universally lambasted by EDM fans, but as soon as the trade went off, Hall was suddenly a cancer and the root of all evil in Edmonton. and based on what ive seen from Hall within NJ, theres zero evidence for that either.

I think EDM fans live on a cloud where they create magical facts to suit whatever narrative works for them. im personally very happy for Larsson to be in the playoffs and wish him well. I dont even have 1% of the bitterness towards the leaving player that EDM does, despite being the team that is currently the worse of the two :laugh:

The key thing from that deal that nobody mentions is this, SALARY CAP HIT.

Larsson is locked up for 4 more years @ 4.25mil cap hit,
Hall is locked up for 4 more years @ 6mil cap hit,

That played a huge price in the deal.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown

Hall earned a reputation in town with some people from his actions away from the rink. In my opinion this is a major contributing factor in the current negative opinion you see displayed about him. Edmonton is a pretty small place and rumours/stories pass around quickly here, especially if you're as high profile as Taylor was.

Oilers fans lived in this hell where the team was terrible every year and management was an embarrassment and there was literally nothing to be happy about except the point production of a couple of players. Once Hall left and the team wasn't terrible fans could drop the act and felt more free to express their real opinions of some of their players, including Hall.

Remember, you don't see Oilers fans savagely bashing Paajarvi or Petry. There are lots of former Oilers still in the league that the fans don't have the same dislike for that they have for Taylor. Hell, Yakupov was a massive disappointment in Edmonton and you still regularly hear "loved the kid, wish he hadnt been ruined by Eakins". It's important to recognize there's a reason Hall is treated differently.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Kovalchuk turned 34 2 weeks ago. Got to think the Oilers put in an offer of a 2017 2nd and Darnell Nurse for him. Kovy and Mcdavid together could be amazing to watch.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
We don't want Hall infecting what we're building. Keep your wonder boy. He's already disliked by a small amount of your fa base on these boards. And when you see the full picture of Hall , NJ will toss him too.

BS . Follow the ball . When these rumours started with the problems in the locker room . Mac T then GM went down to coach a few games to see what was happening . As soon as he returned Perron was traded . Perron also spoke out about the Oilers . Right or wrong he was seen as the problem and traded . There has never been 1 shred of proof that Hall was a problem .

LOL at everyone on the Larsson ban wagon . I liked Hall but the Oilers were built all wrong . I said it was a good trade from day 1 and got ripped by fellow Oilers fans . Now most like the trades and won't admit they wanted Chia fired for making the trade

See my postings . I wanted Hall trade for 2 years before it happened . It was not he was a cancer but he had the most value in a trade to bring back the D we needed

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Kovalchuk's rights cannot be traded.

All it takes is New Jersey agreeing to it from what I have heard.
From what Daly said previously, that would've been the case if he came back this season.
Now, another year has passed, and it's not just Jersey with veto power.
All 30 (31?) teams need to approve his return if he signs anywhere other than Jersey.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Kovalchuk turned 34 2 weeks ago. Got to think the Oilers put in an offer of a 2017 2nd and Darnell Nurse for him. Kovy and Mcdavid together could be amazing to watch.

Nurse + 2nd is definitely an offer I could see Shero accepting.

We still don't know if Shero wants to bring Kovalchuk to NJ though.

Kovalchuk's rights cannot be traded.

From what Daly said previously, that would've been the case if he came back this season.
Now, another year has passed, and it's not just Jersey with veto power.
All 30 (31?) teams need to approve his return if he signs anywhere other than Jersey.

Kovalchuk can sign with NJ and then NJ can trade his rights. Basically the same thing. Devils could allow him to talk to other teams if they're not interested in signing him (or he's not interested in signing with the Devils) and then they work out a trade with the team that wants to sign him.

There's five tweets regarding McKenzie on Kovalchuk (which is the latest news/update on his situation): https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
I'm not convinced Hall is a cancer. He wants to win as bad as anyone and wasn't in the right situation to do so. Now Edmonton has an established #1 goalie, a balanced roster and depth.

Replace any winger on Edmonton with Hall and I believe we'd be in the same good moving forward situation.

Watching larsson play 26 absolutely immaculate defensive minutes in game 6 made me honestly think Taylor who?? He is a stud he was as good as vlasic in the series. I loved Taylor hall as a player but larsson is a defensive stud. As for kovalchuck don't think it's a good fit we need a Wayne Simmons to take ebs spot imo

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Wouldn't Kovalchuk's contract with 1 million remaining years be enforced?

Don't really care from an Edmonton perspective because he's not coming here regardless.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Kovie's probably not a fit in Edmonton, and no way would Nurse be offered. Nurse I think could turn out to be as good as Klefbom, who is becoming a no.1 guy himself. Too risky for a 35 year old who hasn't played in the NHL in years.

As per Hall, the only reason he is in New Jersey is because the Devils would not accept RNH or Eberle for Larsson. Period. Has nothing to do with anything else, Eberle or RNH would have been gone first, but they didn't have the trade value to get the deal done and Edmonton needed that RD. I'd take Talyor Hall on my team over Eberle or Nugent Hopkins any day of the week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad