Value of: Kovalchuk Rights to Edmonton (Mod Warning #42)

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Does nothing work? Because that's what I'd offer for a player who isn't going to sign in Edmonton.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Does nothing work? Because that's what I'd offer for a player who isn't going to sign in Edmonton.

What makes you say that? Who passes up on an opportunity with one of the best players in the league?

McDavid factor, Oilers are good, and Devils would want him out of conference.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
I presume Devils would want defensmen and picks/prospects.

Take your picks.

Kovalchuk is kind of risky for the Oilers. We don't know what he would be like now compared to when he left and I'm not sure if he would be a good locker room fit for the Oilers.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Edmonton doesn't need Kovalchuk - they need cheap players on ELC's so that they can keep players like McDavid.

0% chance Chiarelli would want to bring on Kovalchuk.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Kovalchuk is kind of risky for the Oilers. We don't know what he would be like now compared to when he left and I'm not sure if he would be a good locker room fit for the Oilers.

A while ago he got stripped of his captaincy and was scratched for playing drunk.

Since that day, he went to rehab, fixed himself up, and got the captaincy back and lead his team to the Gagarin Cup.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
How can Oilers not afford him on a one year deal? He's 35 and he's not gonna make bank, plus if he wants to go into the NHL he'll take less.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
What makes you say that? Who passes up on an opportunity with one of the best players in the league?

McDavid factor, Oilers are good, and Devils would want him out of conference.

Edmonton needs cap space to pay McDavid and Draisaitl. Plus they already have Lucic, Nuge and Eberle pulling in big contracts. So unless Kovy is prepared to take a significant pay cut for the privilege of being on the same team as McDavid or the Devils want Eberle (or a cap dump), I can't see the Oilers having a lot of interest right now.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I fully understand wanting him back but your Kovalchuk + a 2nd wouldn't get him. Wouldn't even start the conversation. No offense, you don't have the assets to get him back.

1. I was totally kidding about the offer as it is totally unrealistic for EDM to trade Larsson after he just completely changed the outlook of their defense and is their best defender. Let alone trade him back to NJ.

2. I think you are really underestimating how good Ilya Kovalchuk still is. See how much of an impact Radulov had this season in his NHL return, thats about how big of an impact Kovalchuk will have. Radulov was the best forward on a team that finished with 103 points.

3. But yeah I would seriously love Adam Larsson back. My hope is that he fell in love with the Devils and New Jersey and comes back in 2021 when he's a UFA. Just as you guys probably hope Hall comes back as a UFA in 2020.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
1. I was totally kidding about the offer as it is totally unrealistic for EDM to trade Larsson after he just completely changed the outlook of their defense and is their best defender. Let alone trade him back to NJ.

2. I think you are really underestimating how good Ilya Kovalchuk still is. See how much of an impact Radulov had this season in his NHL return, thats about how big of an impact Kovalchuk will have. Radulov was the best forward on a team that finished with 103 points.

3. But yeah I would seriously love Adam Larsson back. My hope is that he fell in love with the Devils and New Jersey and comes back in 2021 when he's a UFA. Just as you guys probably hope Hall comes back as a UFA in 2020.

Not many of us want Hall back. Hell we don't currently want Eberle either. You want Ebs for Kovalchuk we can talk, you want any defenceman not named Russell we're not interested.

Chiarelli wouldn't trade any top 4 defenceman for Kovalchuk, more should he.

I'd like to give Kovalchuk a shot if the cost is picks/prospects or an Eberle package.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

Why wouldn't we just throw the money Kovalchuk would cost to sign at Radulov then? Since Radulov wouldn't cost assets and is more proven then Kovalchuk as you just said, he already has proven this past season his ability. That way we retain Larrson and can trade Eberle for other assets, be it picks/prospects

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton

We don't want Hall infecting what we're building. Keep your wonder boy. He's already disliked by a small amount of your fa base on these boards. And when you see the full picture of Hall , NJ will toss him too.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
We don't want Hall infecting what we're building. Keep your wonder boy. He's already disliked by a small amount of your fa base on these boards. And when you see the full picture of Hall , NJ will toss him too.

I'm not convinced Hall is a cancer. He wants to win as bad as anyone and wasn't in the right situation to do so. Now Edmonton has an established #1 goalie, a balanced roster and depth.

Replace any winger on Edmonton with Hall and I believe we'd be in the same good moving forward situation.

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
I'm not convinced Hall is a cancer. He wants to win as bad as anyone and wasn't in the right situation to do so. Now Edmonton has an established #1 goalie, a balanced roster and depth.

Replace any winger on Edmonton with Hall and I believe we'd be in the same good moving forward situation.

What pro athlete doesn't want to win. Taylor Hall cares about TAylor Hall. He still has his supporters here but most are glad he's gone. I don't think you would find any that would trade Larsson for Hall. Maybe a couple that bought a Hall jersey that hasn't taken his name off. At any rate if you want results and character, you take Larsson 10 out of 10 times.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad