Confirmed with Link: Kovalchuk Retires/Quits To Russia (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Like hang out in his summer house. From his virtual silence and the fact that no one other than Lou has spoken with him, I just assumed he was gone. My bad, he's just a total coward who has his mom take the press heat for him. Be a man and do the presser, instead of having your mom talk for you.

Like green card issues where once his contract voided he no longer had a work visa. Probably needs to get someone to sell his NJ house and other get all his things moved to Russia. He issued a statement with Devils. Did you actually expect him to give a press conference to say , "Hey I quit and will go back to Russia"?

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I'm sure they did, they loved St. Petersburg so much that they're in Miami. The man whose money doesn't go far lives in Miami in the summer. I'm sure that was cheap. Some of you guys would be so easy to lie to. :laugh:

being lied to implies we care where he is at the moment. bottom line, hes gone and it sucks, but again anyone here would do the same thing, but now it doesnt matter to me where he is.

he never told me he was getting off his contract and flying all his stuff to russia the next day. did he tell you that?

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Like green card issues where once his contract voided he no longer had a work visa. Probably needs to get someone to sell his NJ house and other get all his things moved to Russia. He issued a statement with Devils. Did you actually expect him to give a press conference to say , "Hey I quit and will go back to Russia"?

don't be ridiculous, he doesn't have things to take care of before moving his family to another country. that would mean hes a real person and not some robot who plays a sport.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
So why doesn't everyone just start doing it? Malkin, Ovechkin, how about Elias if that report about the Czech KHL team pursuing our guys is true? Hell, why don't everyone just leave to go play in the bush league?

How do you know those guys wont bolt? Truth is, you named players like Ovechkin and Malkin who make 11 million a year and on top of that they have huge endorsments so leaving for the KHL for 3 million more doesn't make sense.

And about Elias, I doubt they would offer him 20 million a year in the KHL

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How do you know those guys wont bolt? Truth is, you named players like Ovechkin and Malkin who have make 11 million a year and on top of that they have huge endorsments.

And about Elias, I doubt they would offer him 20 million a year in the KHL
They wouldn't offer him $20 million, but I bet they offer him more than he makes here.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
So why doesn't everyone just start doing it? Malkin, Ovechkin, how about Elias if that report about the Czech KHL team pursuing our guys is true? Hell, why don't everyone just leave to go play in the bush league?

I won't be surprised if Ovi or Malkin leave. I believe Ovie parents live with him in VA though. Not sure about Malkin, but I bet those two wouldn't risk their teams not signing off and them missing the olympics. Watch out next off season though.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

he asked about any one in the same situation, are they all in the same situation. where is and how close are they all to their extended family? do they have better friends there or here? do they like playing for the league better or the nhl? and a bunch of other factors i don't know about.

i don't know these things, so i can't say if they are in the same situation as kovy or not. but feel free to tell me all about all of the European NHL players personal life, i would love to make an informed decision before answering that.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
They wouldn't offer him $20 million, but I bet they offer him more than he makes here.

Elias didn't even play during the lockout. Elias family lives in NJ and won't go unless they offered him a ridiculous amount of money.

Kovy situation is completely different.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Who else is in Kovalchuk's situation?

I said people in his situation meaning if other people could be put in his shoes, 99% of people would of done the samething.

You know why Ovy and Malkin don't do it? First, they know their respective GM wont void their contracts, second of all, their cap re-capture would be huge, and finally they're all younger then Kovy

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
For the love of God, still with this nonsense?

Azzload of money x ~50% going to the government

is much less than

Even biggerer azzload of money x 13% going to the government.

That. Is. Why. Kovy. Is. Gone.

It has virtually nothing to do with "missing" Russia.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I said people in his situation meaning if other people could be put in his shoes, 99% of people would of done the samething.

You know why Ovy and Malkin don't do it? First, they know their respective GM wont void their contracts, second of all, their cap re-capture would be huge, and finally they're all younger then Kovy

False. Ovie's and Malkin's recapture would be zero.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal

is much less than

That's exactly what I am referring too.

For that amount of money, anyone in his situation would of done the same thing

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011

is much less than

If that was the only issue he won't have signed in the KHL a few years ago. My guess his family and him really enjoy their time in St. Petersburg so he quit.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Not according to capgeek's calculator. He isnt even in the list of players that you could calculate it

Yea I tried to correct that quickly. My eyes failed me. He is only get 7.5 million with a cap hit of 8.7 million. If it was switched it would be been.

DevilChuk*

99% of people who would of been in Kovy's situation would of done the samething

No, 99% of people wouldn't even be in Kovalchuk's situation since they would consider the ramifications of signing a long term contract before they put pen to paper to get a payday. Well, maybe not 99% but at least the smart ones.

Amazing how people still don't get it. He could every just reason in the world to skip town. That doesn't make it right. That doesn't excuse him from honoring a 15 year commitment. Yea, maybe it is the best thing for him/his family/his wallet.. but there's no excuse to not considering those things (or how those things would change/develop) as a UFA before signing a long term deal.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
No, 99% of people wouldn't even be in Kovalchuk's situation since they would consider the ramifications of signing a long term contract before they put pen to paper to get a payday. Well, maybe not 99% but at least the smart ones.

Amazing how people still don't get it. He could every just reason in the world to skip town. That doesn't make it right. That doesn't excuse him from honoring a 15 year commitment. Yea, maybe it is the best thing for him/his family/his wallet.. but there's no excuse to not considering those things (or how those things would change/develop) as a UFA before signing a long term deal.

Yep, I dont care what the excuse was

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
If that was the only issue he won't have signed in the KHL a few years ago. My guess his family and him really enjoy their time in St. Petersburg so he quit.

Great.

It's still about money.

If if werent about money, and Kovalchuk was so desperate and desirous to return to Russia, SKA wouldnt have to pay Kovalchuk EVEN MORE money to play in the KHL than he makes in the NHL, especially when you consider the obvious tax implications.

It's. About. Money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad