Confirmed with Link: Kovalchuk Retires/Quits To Russia (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilChuk*

Lost his green card

Part 4 more cups than he'll ever have.

Mod edit:

New Jersey retains his rights should he chose to return by offering him "a fair and reasonable Standard Player's Contract" Obviously what that means in practice would likely be decided by an arbiter should Kovalchuk not want to return to the Devils or if there's a dispute regarding his value upon return.

Kovalchuk is only allowed to return if one of the following conditions happens:
- He takes 1 full calendar year off of playing professional hockey (or amateur hockey in Europe)
- He turns 35 (will happen in April 2018)
- He obtains consent of all 30 NHL teams to return

In the 2nd case, Brooks says that Bill Daly told him it would mean Kovalchuk would be a UFA. 8.5(c) doesn't explicitly state that it overrules 8.9, so it's possible that an arbiter would eventually decide.

Last edited by a moderator:

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Imminent Schneider and Zajac jerseys.

971345_10200648407466377_658045617_n.jpg

Mory Schneideur*

Gargarian cup is such a stupid name. I see what they are doing but feels like a bootleg trophy. Then again NFL & NBA have stupid trophy names too I guess.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This has probably been went over a million times in one of the other 3 threads, but pardon me if I missed it when it got lost in between the tax talk.

We were a better team last year with Kovalchuk in the lineup than without him, but after what just happened I can't help but think this.

Many of us thought he was injured during the season before he really got injured going into the boards, but I'm thinking he was just dogging it. We saw a completely different player in the World Championships (For those of you who watched) and many thought it was because he was being used on the left wing over there, and not the right wing like he was over here. He had to have known from the time the season started that he was going back. I never questioned his effort, but now I think it's fair to. I'm talking the 2013 season, not the 2012 playoffs when it was clear he was very injured.

Mory Schneideur*

This has probably been went over a million times in one of the other 3 threads, but pardon me if I missed it when it got lost in between the tax talk.

We were a better team last year with Kovalchuk in the lineup than without him, but after what just happened I can't help but think this.

Many of us thought he was injured during the season before he really got injured going into the boards, but I'm thinking he was just dogging it. We saw a completely different player in the World Championships (For those of you who watched) and many thought it was because he was being used on the left wing over there, and not the right wing like he was over here. He had to have known from the time the season started that he was going back. I never questioned his effort, but now I think it's fair to. I'm talking the 2013 season, not the 2012 playoffs when it was clear he was very injured.

I'm thinking the same thing recently. Senioritis before he gives his 2 week notice.

DevilChuk*

I'm thinking the same thing recently. Senioritis before he gives his 2 week notice.

My theory is he wanted out in January.

Lou blackmailed him into returning for one more year (maybe in an attempt to get him to enjoy it over here and back out of his plan) by telling him he would void his contract in the summer if he wanted. Otherwise, he would block him playing in the KHL/Olympics.

So Kovy was basically skating through the season not to get injured and ironically, did. Didn't want to ruin his big upcoming paycheck.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Which going further means we would of been playing a guy 26 mins who would of been unhappy/dogging it and not being the top 10 player we need/were paying him for.

So yes this is the lesser of two evils as I rather the money free then him dogging it for years and getting worse.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey

I was thinking about that too

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Which going further means we would of been playing a guy 26 mins who would of been unhappy/dogging it and not being the top 10 player we need/were paying him for.

So yes this is the lesser of two evils as I rather the money free then him dogging it for years and getting worse.

I agree and I feel the same way too.

There were times I was very frustrated with him, but never expressed my anger cause I thought he was playing injured, or at least not completely right. I thought all the big minutes were maybe taking a toll on him. One game I remember him getting two clear cut breakaways and hitting the post twice. This was in the same game too, and we lost like 2-1. He was missing so many easy goals with hitting posts, and missing the net. Some of his shootout attempts this year were absolutely pathetic. The shootout against the big mattress goalie in Ottawa, he didn't even force him to make a save. He shot it into the glass like some Rolston or Zids slapshot from the point. Another shootout opportunity against Buffalo, he had Miller beat, I mean Miller gave him the entire net. I don't remember if he hit the post, or if he air mailed it into some glass.

Who could forget his disgusting play in the season finale? Leaving his buddy Moose out to dry on a shorthanded chance, and just standing there doing nothing while Callahan blew right by him. He didn't even make any effort to even look like he was trying. I never thought once that this meant anything other than the team packing it in cause they wanted the season over. That was until today.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I agree and I feel the same way too.

There were times I was very frustrated with him, but never expressed my anger cause I thought he was playing injured, or at least not completely right. I thought all the big minutes were maybe taking a toll on him. One game I remember him getting two clear cut breakaways and hitting the post twice. This was in the same game too, and we lost like 2-1. He was missing so many easy goals with hitting posts, and missing the net. Some of his shootout attempts this year were absolutely pathetic. The shootout against the big mattress goalie in Ottawa, he didn't even force him to make a save. He shot it into the glass like some Rolston or Zids slapshot from the point. Another shootout opportunity against Buffalo, he had Miller beat, I mean Miller gave him the entire net. I don't remember if he hit the post, or if he air mailed it into some glass.

Who could forget his disgusting play in the season finale? Leaving his buddy Moose out to dry on a shorthanded chance, and just standing there doing nothing while Callahan blew right by him. He didn't even make any effort to even look like he was trying. I never thought once that this meant anything other than the team packing it in cause they wanted the season over. That was until today.

You weren't the only one. Dig up the GDTs, some stand alone threads. Lots of guys here, and not just Jim, were concerned, annoyed, or at least noticed something was not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad