Confirmed with Link: Kovalchuk Quits Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
And Shaq and virtually anyone that's ever played for them.

You're forgetting several key details.

1) Shaq signed the largest contract in the HISTORY (literally, not figuratively) of professional team sports, including international soccer, which absolutely dwarfed the inter-state tax implications.

2) Nobody else reportedly offered close to the money LA did.

3) The Lakers had to raise ticket prices over 100% in many seat categories to afford Shaq's contract! :amazed:

It's not like this was a shock. It's not like Kovy didnt know what taxes where 3 years ago.

Exactly. Which is why Kovy is such an uber-DB. Nothing about this should surprise him, other than the fact that some Russian Billionaire actually DID follow through with his offer.

hockeyf4n

Apr 29, 2007
You talked about schools and infrastructure, how do Alabama's compare with New Jersey? Go ahead and look it up if you like. Also, unlike Alabama which lives off federal money, New Jersey gives more to the federal government than it gets back than any other state...which means New Jersey helps pay to keep Alabama from turning into
Waziristan.

Again, outside of small city states Singapore, Special Economic zones like Hong Kong, and a wide variety of third world messes, the US has among the lowest Marginal Tax rates. Further, economics is far more complicated than this. There are reasons that Canadians are not flocking in droves to the Philippines for big pay days, and instead the Philippines GDP is made up of relatives in California sending home money and exporting 'bar girls'.....despite the Philippines have incredibly low marginal tax rates.

and again....This is nothing that Kovy did not know. He wasnt some wet behind the ears kid, how long had he been living in the US? Playing in the NHL? Making millions?
Didnt bother him before, did it?

I'm also sick of hearing about grown men who are multi millionaires wha wha ing about moving back home anyway. I was in the army for 10 years, you know how many crappy places I had to live? How many years at a time I did not get to even see my wife for more than 2 weeks? Did I go, "hay Sir, sorry cant go on these missions anymore with the platoon...I miss pizza so I'm heading to Jersey to go join the Coast Guard, later". Sorry, there is no valid excuse for his nonsense. He made a commitment to this team. And apparently it was a very hollow one he did not want to live up to. At the very least he could have worked out a something, anything, that would have hurt the team less, but the way this was handled beginning to end......Screw him.

Exactly. He agreed to his last contract 3 years ago. You would think the penny would drop as soon as he got the first paycheck from that contract.

And thank you for your service!

GreggTheKeg*

We'll see.....I'm just not feeling this season now.

I think if the Devils could AT LEAST make it into the playoffs, that would be a monumental success.

EDIT : Oh and can we please stop talking about Politics already? (This comment was directed more toward Tundra, Jossipov, and others....not you, Devils Trap. ;) )

a monumental success because we won't be forfeiting a top-10 pick.

512x.jpg

Jossipov

Patty's Better
Oct 7, 2010
Bronx, NY
I wasn't comparing Alabama to New Jersey. I was simply illustrating that graft has no party or location. Secondly, you do realize New Jersey is overleveraged to the hilt despite the heavy tax burden?

Ya ya, I know...But what's your point? Like I said, New Jersey is not going to base its tax policies on attracting Russian hockey players, so its a moot point. On the list of priorities, how many solid gold bathtubs Ilya Kovalchuk can buy is not high on the list of considerations. And if it was, then that would probably not be the most healthy thing for the society. Ya, it might be cool of Ilya to be King **** of Turd Mountain in Russia, but there is no reason to turn the place into Magnitogorsk to try and attract more King ****s.

*Not meaning to talk politics, so much as point out the excuse is BS, as is the idea that havin a tax haven is really a justifiable reason. He lived quite well despite property taxes before, and the idea that there was some real hardship is hard to swallow

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I'm starting to wish there was a way to mute words in threads like there was on twitter :laugh:
Starting with: Taxes, Matteau

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Ya ya, I know...But what's your point? Like I said, New Jersey is not going to base its tax policies on attracting Russian hockey players, so its a moot point. On the list of priorities, how many solid gold bathtubs Ilya Kovalchuk can buy is not high on the list of considerations. And if it was, then that would probably not be the most healthy thing for the society. Ya, it might be cool of Ilya to be King **** of Turd Mountain in Russia, but there is no reason to turn the place into Magnitogorsk to try and attract more King ****s.

Not meaning to talk politics, so much as the excuse is BS

I think the dire finances of the Garden State are highly relevant in this thread since it can aid or diminish our ability to sign free agents going forward. Every little bit counts from our perspective. It's depressing enough that we have been stigmatized as the No fun organization, but it's certainly not encouraging when the state is not business friendly and this goes beyond shorting education or removing sanitation trucks.

pcanuck

Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton
Brutal screw job Kovy gave to the Devils. Kovy could have announced in June and given Lou more time to look at UFAs. Now, he could be looking at RFAs. Don't fret Devils fans - you likely have the best GM in the league. He'll swing some crazy deal and the team will be even better.

Jossipov

Patty's Better
Oct 7, 2010
Bronx, NY
I think the dire finances of the Garden State are highly relevant in this thread since it can aid or diminish our ability to sign free agents going forward. Every little bit counts from our perspective. It's depressing enough that we have been stigmatized as the No fun organization, but it's certainly not encouraging when the state is not business friendly and this goes beyond shorting education or removing sanitation trucks.

I dont think this has any truth to it.
New Jersey is one of the best states to live in and raise a family. The quality of life is great, and things like schools and such should play a HUGE role in players determining where they might want to raise a family. Couple that with the fact that the Rock is literally 8 miles away from Manhattan.
Further, to call it not business friendly is ridiculous. But its important to note that a successful business needs to have people it can sell its product to. This means if regular people are too poor to buy tickets, if the area around Prud center is a complete dump (not just a semi improving dump), and there are no trains to take tons of people to the Rock...how will that effect the devils finances?

pcanuck

Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton
Is it possible that Kovy is the biggest traitor in NHL history?

Not to me ...

Gary Suter plays for Team USA after being cut by Team Canada - that's brutal
Brett Hull plays for Team USA despite being born/ raised in Canada?

Now the worst might be Eric Lindros not wanting to play for the team that drafted him first overall - the cry baby!

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

FALSE.

1) Brett Hull considered himself just as American as he did Canadian.

2) BUT he chose to play for Team Canada. So why on earth didnt he?

3) Because Team Canada told him he "wasnt good enough" - which made Hull tell them to pound sand and that he'd play for Team USA instead (SEE: #1).

EDIT: Also, Hull lived in America after he was born until he was 8 or 12 or something.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I dont think this has any truth to it.
New Jersey is one of the best states to live in and raise a family. The quality of life is great, and things like schools and such should play a HUGE role in players determining where they might want to raise a family. Couple that with the fact that the Rock is literally 8 miles away from Manhattan.
Further, to call it not business friendly is ridiculous. But its important to note that a successful business needs to have people it can sell its product to. This means if regular people are too poor to buy tickets, if the area around Prud center is a complete dump (not just a semi improving dump), and there are no trains to take tons of people to the Rock...how will that effect the devils finances?

I think you just touched on a great point. How can regular people afford devil season tickets as their disposable income is reduced via taxation? Property tax rates are second highest in the country ($2819 per capita) next to the District of Columbia. Then factor in the progressive state income tax that can vary from 1.75% at 15k all the way to 5.75% on income up to $75,000. Less choice for the consumer dollar is not how economies thrive and it certainly does not help the New Jersey Devils in this particular instance as our potential market share dwindles.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
Not to me ...

Gary Suter plays for Team USA after being cut by Team Canada - that's brutal

Now the worst might be Eric Lindros not wanting to play for the team that drafted him first overall - the cry baby!

Gary Suter was born in the USA, his older brother won the Gold Medal in 1980 for team USA. You must be thinking of another player :dunno:

Jossipov

Patty's Better
Oct 7, 2010
Bronx, NY
I think you just touched on a great point.

I disagree with you for reason not appropriate to list on a hockey forum, and think we might be killing the thread, so I'm going to leave it at the common ground we have, which is screw Illness Kommiesuck and go devils.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

njdevilsownnhl*

You talked about schools and infrastructure, how do Alabama's compare with New Jersey? Go ahead and look it up if you like. Also, unlike Alabama which lives off federal money, New Jersey gives more to the federal government than it gets back than any other state...which means New Jersey helps pay to keep Alabama from turning into
Waziristan.

Again, outside of small city states Singapore, Special Economic zones like Hong Kong, and a wide variety of third world messes, the US has among the lowest Marginal Tax rates. Further, economics is far more complicated than this. There are reasons that Canadians are not flocking in droves to the Philippines for big pay days, and instead the Philippines GDP is made up of relatives in California sending home money and exporting 'bar girls'.....despite the Philippines have incredibly low marginal tax rates.

and again....This is nothing that Kovy did not know. He wasnt some wet behind the ears kid, how long had he been living in the US? Playing in the NHL? Making millions?
Didnt bother him before, did it?

I'm also sick of hearing about grown men who are multi millionaires wha wha ing about moving back home anyway. I was in the army for 10 years, you know how many crappy places I had to live? How many years at a time I did not get to even see my wife for more than 2 weeks? Did I go, "hay Sir, sorry cant go on these missions anymore with the platoon...I miss pizza so I'm heading to Jersey to go join the Coast Guard, later". Sorry, there is no valid excuse for his nonsense. He made a commitment to this team. And apparently it was a very hollow one he did not want to live up to. At the very least he could have worked out a something, anything, that would have hurt the team less, but the way this was handled beginning to end......Screw him.

You listen too much to CNN.

Last edited by a moderator:

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
Can you name me the 3rd best player in the KHL? I can name 17, Radulov, and then I have no idea.

Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk, and for 11 seasons, 17 all play(ed) in the NHL so that point is totally absurd.
That was exactly my point...he will be a God in Russia, while here a declining player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad