Confirmed with Link: Kovalchuk Quits Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilChuk*

Let's say you had an employee.

You signed him to a contract for 3 years. He wanted to get paid $10k the first year but only 3k the next two years. Since the overall compensation of 16k was fair to you, you decided to frontload his contract.. again because you thought the 16k figure was fair and things would even out over the long run despite him having the better deal in the first year of the contract.

Now if the guy quit after 1 year.. you wouldn't feel cheated? You wouldn't feel like he stole money from you that you otherwise wouldn't have given him in that pay structure had you known his intentions?

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I mean, when you sign a contract for 15 years and part of that includes front-loading as a pay structure..

it sorta is like stealing.

Yep. And anything he made this year he stole, because he played with zero passion. Seeing how he had this SKA deal lined up before the lockout ended

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I mean, when you sign a contract for 15 years and part of that includes front-loading as a pay structure..

it sorta is like stealing.

Not when the first 2 years were set at 6 mil annually. Last season was the first season with him making over ten million. The prime years of the contract really started last year but he only completed one season obviously. He didn't steal anything with 2 bargain years starting off the contract.

Jossipov

Patty's Better
Oct 7, 2010
Bronx, NY
Yep. And anything he made this year he stole, because he played with zero passion. Seeing how he had this SKA deal lined up before the lockout ended

^
This.
We wondered why he was playing like garbage, chalked it up to his bi polarness in a short season....now know differently

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I don't think the average fan understands how much we lucked out by his sudden departure. We had a depreciating, injured played stepping right into his prime payout years.

2013-14 $11,300,000
2014-15 $11,300,000
2015-16 $11,600,000
2016-17 $11,800,000
2017-18 $10,000,000

That is obscene money for a player who was no longer a top 10 performer.

Mory Schneideur*

Who knows, maybe his injury was faking it too. His logic probably was if we miss the playoffs, the sooner he can skip out. Classic Senioritis if you ask me.

DevilChuk*

I don't think the average fan understands how much we lucked out by his sudden departure. We had a depreciating, injured played stepping right into his prime payout years.

2013-14 $11,300,000
2014-15 $11,300,000
2015-16 $11,600,000
2016-17 $11,800,000
2017-18 $10,000,000

That is obscene money for a player who was no longer a top 10 performer.

Kovalchuk leaving puts in a major hole the next two years. There's almost no arguing that.

Long-term? We will be better off.. but by damn the next two years could really be rough if things don't work out well in other areas.

Mory Schneideur*

The last years of Marty and the most solid team I remember in years :(

I legit thought we were cup favorite scary before this nonsense.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
Supposedly Momma Kovy leaked and confirmed the original 17 year contract. Much of what she is saying makes sense too.

Kovy signed the deal with one perspective of the team. That view probably changed with a combination of Captain Parise leaving, missing playoffs twice, ownership & financial instability, homesickness thanks to the lockout & personal family decisions.

He probably was expecting one thing when he signed & decided to bail when it looked like it was something else to him. 15 years is a long time. He probably over-reacted & I think he's a jackass for doing so, but he had his reasons.

There was also the rumor that he wanted to leave half way thru his firs year and his mother had to talk him out of it

Mory Schneideur*

There was also the rumor that he wanted to leave half way thru his firs year and his mother had to talk him out of it

I laughed at the rumors of him not wanting to comeback after the lockout. Now I'll believe any rumor after this crazy circus.

Edit: by the way, from the interview his mom sounds like she wanted him to stay in America but he made up his own mind.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What hurts a lot is Kovy was always so kind to our fans and very classy. I had Zach pegged as a phoney, but never Ilya. What a ****in doosh he is.

Also reading what Roenick said made me feel great. It was nice seeing him stick up for our organization like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad