Dreger: Kovalchuk News

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
No I'm thinking that Marleau gets traded or put on LTIR just like the Hawks did with Hossa the moment his salary dropped from 4 million to 1 million and then magically he became allergic to his equipment even though he had not had that issue for nearly 20 years prior to this year.

This was the plan of lot of fans last year but there are few problems.

He has 0 Cups today, he has all the controll of his contract. You are really betting on him giving up on his last shot at the Cup to just make cap space for Toronto?

Structure it like Marleau’s deal. Something in the range of:

7.5m
6m (5m signing bonus)
4.5m

Trade him right after paying out the signing bonus to a team with internal cap. Then they get Kovvy for 2 years for only 2.75m per and additional cap relief to hit the floor.

I'm guessing Kovy too won't sign without controll.

Kovalchuk doesn't make Florida a Cup contender.

Not the favourite but who knows.

Barkov, Trocheck, Dadonov, Huberdeau& Kovy would give them a pretty good offense, with prospects like Borgstrom& Tippett to give depth.

Floridas selling points are Eastern team, cap space, weather& line with Dadonov& Barkov. Didn't he have a house near Florida as well or something?

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Glad you can see into the future. Im sure you picked Vegas to win the Cup this season huh lmao

He didnt even say anything about a contender, just said they would be better, which another 25-30 goal scorer in our top six would do.
Two things.

The sentence before that mentioned Kovalchuk trying to join the Triple Gold Club.

Florida has a proven track record of futility. Your choice of Vegas to point out is funny. Wonder if Florida would like a do-over on canning the guy who would go on to coach an expansion team to the Cup finals (and possibly a championship) the very next season.

Reactions: insomniac

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Sounds perfect, lets ignore the fact that besides Klingberg we have crap for D and continue to try and fix that by adding more scoring again. As a fan of another Western Conference team I approve of this strategy!
I bet Winnipeg would be all giddy too. Didn't Laine score 20 goals against Dallas this season, or something silly like that?

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
This was the plan of lot of fans last year but there are few problems.

He has 0 Cups today, he has all the controll of his contract. You are really betting on him giving up on his last shot at the Cup to just make cap space for Toronto?

I'm guessing Kovy too won't sign without controll.

Barkov, Trocheck, Dadonov, Huberdeau& Kovy would give them a pretty good offense, with prospects like Borgstrom& Tippett to give depth.

Floridas selling points are Eastern team, cap space, weather& line with Dadonov& Barkov. Didn't he have a house near Florida as well or something?

I don't think Kovy gets himself into another Thrashers type situation.
If he is going to play on a bad team, one in the bright lights would likely be his choice.
The Rangers seem like a great fit.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

No state income tax is a bonus.

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
If Poile can do his contract magic and sign Kovy to 4.5 Million and Tavares to 9.5 million, the Preds have room for both. No state income tax...Hmmmm....

Good luck with getting Tavares at that price. With so many teams wanting him, his price will be closer to 11 million.

Honestly if the Blues can't get Tarvares, I say they should good after him as a good short term bridge while the prospects get there time. Plus not a long term cap hit and a cheaper one.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I could see him going to Washington or Pitt to play alongside Ovi or Malkin while chasing the Cup, assuming either can clear room. The windows for both are closing, and they're each going to be rebuilding in 3-5 years anyway, so why not.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'd be surprised if he's not an Islander on July 1.

He wants to play in New York. Check.
Wants A Chance To Win. Half A Check? Islanders have an upcoming team, and a better shot to win than Rangers or Sabres
Plus the Lou Lam Factor

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Don't want him in LA. Don't need a slow skater and don't need a 6 mil old man.
If we get a scoring winger, we want one under 6 mil in his 20s.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Kovalchuck-Horvat-Boeser

Would never ever happen... but that's a lot of fire power on the wings.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Kovalchuk replacing John Carlson as Caps PP pointman

tenor.gif

O-Kuz-Kovi

giphy.gif

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Lee beuillier bellows Ladd on the left, bailey eberle hosang clutterbuck on the right, where does he ft?

Bellows isn’t penciled in. And you make room for a player like that. That’s like saying Pittsburgh has Crosby and Malkin so what’s the point in getting Tavares if they had the chance? If they trade Kessel and something else and got Tavares to take 9mil would they not do it because they already have Crosby and Malkin at center.

Reactions: WangMustGo

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Bellows isn’t penciled in. And you make room for a player like that. That’s like saying Pittsburgh has Crosby and Malkin so what’s the point in getting Tavares if they had the chance? If they trade Kessel and something else and got Tavares to take 9mil would they not do it because they already have Crosby and Malkin at center.
Bellows should be penciled in, they need to use rookies to work around clutterbuck Ladd and boychuks contracts

Kovy also isn't Tavares he's 8 years older and spent his last like 4 or 5 seasons? in a league that is way less of a challenge

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Good luck with getting Tavares at that price. With so many teams wanting him, his price will be closer to 11 million.

Honestly if the Blues can't get Tarvares, I say they should good after him as a good short term bridge while the prospects get there time. Plus not a long term cap hit and a cheaper one.

Can't a guy dream? LOL

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Sounds perfect, lets ignore the fact that besides Klingberg we have crap for D and continue to try and fix that by adding more scoring again. As a fan of another Western Conference team I approve of this strategy!

Its painful to read this because it really shows you know nothing about the Stars. Defense is fine and should be good next year. Lindell is an excellent top 4 dman, if not too pairing, and Heiskanen should be up and ready to go. You won't find any Stars fans concerned about the defense for next season

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Kovalchuk is a washed up star looking to cash in on the NHL one last time.

I hope the Avs stay far, far away from him and that a team I like the least ends up signing him. So hears to Minnesota, Toronto, or Montreal signing him this summer :laugh:

Reactions: 780il and Koijari

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
That bum should stick to his Russian bush league...

Salaries in the KHL are going down and he's only looking to cash in. Player with zero taste and class.

Reactions: SeidoN and 780il

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Panarin-Dubois-Kovalchuk
Anderson-Wennberg-Atkinson
Foligno-xxx-Bjorkstrand
Jenner-Dubinsky-Milano

That’s a pretty nice top-6. Just need to find a suitable 2/3C to slot Foligno back on the wing and Dubinsky to 4C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad