Dreger: Kovalchuk News

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
He should sign in LA and play with Kopitar. (I'm not sure about Kings' cap situation though)

Reactions: kilowatt

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
The Avs need to add about $6 in cap hit just to reach the cap floor, and could use a scoring winger for their 2nd line. And we're about 2 years away from really needing all the cap space we have for our youngsters. So, seems like an interesting option.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
That screams Dallas to me. Spezza's money is off the books after next season which goes directly into Seguin's extension. Top 6 next year:
Benn-Seguin-Radulov
Kovalchuk-Spezza-Nishkunin (sp?)

Nichushkin has fit in well enough with Benneguin in the past, and Kovalchuk and Radulov would fit well on a line.

Benn - Seguin - Nichushkin
Kovalchuk - Spezza - Radulov

Reactions: Kcb12345

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Nichushkin has fit in well enough with Benneguin in the past, and Kovalchuk and Radulov would fit well on a line.

Benn - Seguin - Nichushkin
Kovalchuk - Spezza - Radulov
Either way that could be a dominant top 6. Add in Faksa and if health allows Hanzal centering the bottom 6 the forward group would be rounding out nicely. Dallas could probably be a playoff team again with those moves now that they've figured out the goalie stuff.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Either way that could be a dominant top 6. Add in Faksa and if health allows Hanzal centering the bottom 6 the forward group would be rounding out nicely. Dallas could probably be a playoff team again with those moves now that they've figured out the goalie stuff.

I don’t see what’s dominant about a top-6 where the #2C scored 26 points in 78 games this year.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I don’t see what’s dominant about a top-6 where the #2C scored 26 points in 78 games this year.
From what I hear he was playing a good chunk of time on the 4th line under Hitchcock's defensive system. I haven't watched much of the Stars this year so I can't really be certain but if he does bounce back in more of an offensive system then yes it could be dominant.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I doubt he'd be interested in signing with the Canucks, but we could throw a lot of money at him and then flip him on his last year at the deadline. He'd be a good UFA target for the Canucks.

member 157595

If they didn't sign Marleau last year I'd be up for it.

Remember, this would be a 35+ contract so of course it's max 3 years.
Agreed entirely. The 3-year term is a significant problem. Too bad because he'd be absolutely lethal on this team.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
If Poile can do his contract magic and sign Kovy to 4.5 Million and Tavares to 9.5 million, the Preds have room for both. No state income tax...Hmmmm....

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
3 years might be tough but 2 years works especially with the cap rising

Next summer is the trouble year for you, not the summer 2 years from now.

Nylander/Marner/Matthews, Gardiner if on team will all be on new contracts, and Marleau with another year left.
Unless you think they'd have Kovy for 1 year and trade him.

member 157595

Term with make it tough with the kids+Gardiner looking a new contract during the next 12 months.

Toronto...isn't exactly looking to overpay Jake Gardiner at the moment. I know defensemen are at a premium, especially for us, but we're not going to overpay to retain him, if they even keep him at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->