Dreger: Kovalchuk News

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
To clarify once again: on a 1 year deal I would have no problem paying him 6 mil, just like Radulov he would be able to prove he deserves it and there is no risk. If he wanted a 2-3 year deal then I would not go over 3mAAV as it is too risky vs reward to commit to over term that you would not be able to get out of. This is a guy who is at an age that few players are able to compete at, is coming off some big injuries the past few years, and a guy we haven't seen play at an NHL level in multiple years. There isn't a lot there to warrant that ask other than a GM willing to take a huge gamble. If you're a rebuilding team like NYR, then the cap might not matter but if you are an actual contending team it could easily end up a disaster.

Kovalchuk at 6 million for 3 years would be a better deal than 95% of free agent signings. That's what Marleau got and he's twice the player Marleau is right now. That's 50-55 point forward money. The idea that he forgot how to hockey after being a top 5 NHL forward for most of his career is so f***ing stupid there are no words for it other than Russophobia

Ask Montreal if they'd have been better off giving Radulov 2-3 years instead of one

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Kovalchuk at 6 million for 3 years would be a better deal than 95% of free agent signings. That's what Marleau got and he's twice the player Marleau is right now. That's 50-55 point forward money. The idea that he forgot how to hockey after being a top 5 NHL forward for most of his career is so ****ing stupid there are no words for it other than Russophobia

Ask Montreal if they'd have been better off giving Radulov 2-3 years instead of one

Its not 2014 anymore, and it'd do you well to look into player efficiency curves. Radulov is in his prime still not 35, and Marleau had put up multiple solid seasons in NHL to earn what he received, not bush leagues over seas. You thinking Kovi will do better than him shows how clueless/infatuated you are.

MTL messed up by being a garbage org and trying to lowball him the 2nd time, the contract in the begging was fine.

The point is your assumptions for what you will get from him are not backed up by anything in reality, just nostalgia. You aren't the only one to foolishly think this way either, hence why some GM is going to make the mistake to sign him to a big deal.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Its not 2014 anymore, and it'd do you well to look into player efficiency curves. Radulov is in his prime still not 35, and Marleau had put up multiple solid seasons in NHL to earn what he received, not bush leagues over seas. You thinking Kovi will do better than him shows how clueless/infatuated you are.

MTL messed up by being a garbage org and trying to lowball him the 2nd time, the contract in the begging was fine.

The point is your assumptions for what you will get from him are not backed up by anything in reality, just nostalgia. You aren't the only one to foolishly think this way either, hence why some GM is going to make the mistake to sign him to a big deal.

It's based on him being a top 5 NHL player and still being very good in the KHL and internationally. He has injuries but that's a risk with signing any player,and teams can do due diligence to see if he's still suffering from them

Jagr was older when he came back from the KHL and he was still a 6 million dollar player for a couple years back then

I don't know if you noticed but it's a lot easier to put up points in 2018 than it was in Kovalchuk's prime. He's a shoe in for 70 points if he stays healthy the way he's still playing, and if he gets injured that's what LTIR is for. Your idea that he's worth low end third liner money on a multi year deal is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on hf in all my years here

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
It's based on him being a top 5 NHL player and still being very good in the KHL and internationally. He has injuries but that's a risk with signing any player,and teams can do due diligence to see if he's still suffering from them

Jagr was older when he came back from the KHL and he was still a 6 million dollar player for a couple years back then

I don't know if you noticed but it's a lot easier to put up points in 2018 than it was in Kovalchuk's prime. He's a shoe in for 70 points if he stays healthy the way he's still playing, and if he gets injured that's what LTIR is for. Your idea that he's worth low end third liner money on a multi year deal is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on hf in all my years here

That's absolutely ridiculous to say. There were 36 players who achieved 70 points this season, all of them are in their primes. Kovalchuk is 35 years old and well past his prime. I don't care how good he is in the KHL because success there does not automatically translate to the NHL and his old NHL stats are outdated to suggest he'll continue to post those kind of numbers. Stop letting nostalgia cloud your judgment, I'm sure he will be a decent player but he's not going to come back to the league and immediately be a star worth whatever high contract he's asking for.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
That's absolutely ridiculous to say. There were 36 players who achieved 70 points this season, all of them are in their primes. Kovalchuk is 35 years old and well past his prime. I don't care how good he is in the KHL because success there does not automatically translate to the NHL and his old NHL stats are outdated to suggest he'll continue to post those kind of numbers. Stop letting nostalgia cloud your judgment, I'm sure he will be a decent player but he's not going to come back to the league and immediately be a star worth whatever high contract he's asking for.

Dadonov almost put those numbers up, if you think it's a stretch for Kovalchuk to outscore Dadonov in the NHL with #1 PP time and solid linemates you're out to lunch.

Lol at him being done at 35,guy is the only player in the world more physically gifted than Ovechkin .

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Next summer is the trouble year for you, not the summer 2 years from now.

Nylander/Marner/Matthews, Gardiner if on team will all be on new contracts, and Marleau with another year left.
Unless you think they'd have Kovy for 1 year and trade him.

I don't think Gardiner should be in cards, with all the other high end D, ending their contracts.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Kovalchuk at 6 million for 3 years would be a better deal than 95% of free agent signings. That's what Marleau got and he's twice the player Marleau is right now. That's 50-55 point forward money. The idea that he forgot how to hockey after being a top 5 NHL forward for most of his career is so ****ing stupid there are no words for it other than Russophobia

I do not agree with this at all. I believe anyone who gives him $6x3 will regret it for a full two years and look to trade him at the TDL for 50% the last year.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Dadonov almost put those numbers up, if you think it's a stretch for Kovalchuk to outscore Dadonov in the NHL with #1 PP time and solid linemates you're out to lunch.

Lol at him being done at 35,guy is the only player in the world more physically gifted than Ovechkin .
Dadonov is also 6 years younger. How many 35 year old are there that can put up 70 points while also not getting injured?

I think it's a stretch to say Kovalchuk will come into the league and post 70 points if healthy (which at his age is hard to do). You're taking the past stats and practically expecting Kovalchuk to continue to be a star in the league like it hasn't been 5 years with a change in play style across the league. He'll most likely be a decent player that will do best on a 3rd line facing weaker competition, but I highly doubt he'll be a superstar again posting up more than 50 points. Whoever pays him that asking price is going to regret it after a year.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Dadonov is also 6 years younger. How many 35 year old are there that can put up 70 points while also not getting injured?

I think it's a stretch to say Kovalchuk will come into the league and post 70 points if healthy (which at his age is hard to do). You're taking the past stats and practically expecting Kovalchuk to continue to be a star in the league like it hasn't been 5 years with a change in play style across the league. He'll most likely be a decent player that will do best on a 3rd line facing weaker competition, but I highly doubt he'll be a superstar again posting up more than 50 points. Whoever pays him that asking price is going to regret it after a year.

This isn't some scrub coming back, he's was the best goalscorer in the league after Ovechkin and put up PPG+ while being the only top 6 forward on his team year after year.

People just forgot how good Kovalchuk was and can't tell that he still is since they don't watch the KHL.

The league evolved in a way that would favor him tremendously as well.

Either way I had this exact same discussion about Radulov and there's really no point going on since people fundamentally refuse to recognize him as the player he still is, just because muh KHL.

If not 70, then 60-65? Is that worth 6 million or only if you're a good a Canadian boi like Jonathan's Toews, Milan Lucic, Kyle Okposo or Ryan O'Reilly?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I do not agree with this at all. I believe anyone who gives him $6x3 will regret it for a full two years and look to trade him at the TDL for 50% the last year.

You should probably take a look at what 6 million a year buys these days for teams that aren't Pittsburgh or Tampa

Reactions: sebsisles
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
3 million multi-year deal is silly. Look at the players making that kind of cash. 6 million sounds a touch high, not crazy high. If he can put up 55-65 points and be a scoring threat and PP weapon that is worth 6M a year for somebody. And I wouldn't necessarily call that GM "desperate".

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Everybody knows he wants to sign with NYR. It's a matter of whether they want him for this quick rebuild. They have a ton of cap room. I see no downside in it. If anything, he might accept a deal at the deadline and bring back a big amount if the Rangers struggle and he wants some playoff action.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Sounds perfect, lets ignore the fact that besides Klingberg we have crap for D and continue to try and fix that by adding more scoring again. As a fan of another Western Conference team I approve of this strategy!

How do you suppose they figured out the goalie stuff ?
Their defence and goaltending was fine this year. Team couldn't score outside the top line was the problem. Bishop is a way better solution than Lehtonen and Niemi were in the past. For reference just look at their goals against from year to year. Last year 225GA- which was 7th best in the league. Where as their goals for was at only 235. The year prior, they gave up 262, which was 2nd worst and scored 223. If they can sustain that defensive production this year, and add a Kovalchuk to inflate the offense more, they are definitely a playoff team.

sebsisles

Apr 25, 2013
Long Island
This isn't some scrub coming back, he's was the best goalscorer in the league after Ovechkin and put up PPG+ while being the only top 6 forward on his team year after year.

People just forgot how good Kovalchuk was and can't tell that he still is since they don't watch the KHL.

The league evolved in a way that would favor him tremendously as well.

Either way I had this exact same discussion about Radulov and there's really no point going on since people fundamentally refuse to recognize him as the player he still is, just because muh KHL.

If not 70, then 60-65? Is that worth 6 million or only if you're a good a Canadian boi like Jonathan's Toews, Milan Lucic, Kyle Okposo or Ryan O'Reilly?

American.

RussianSpy

Oct 3, 2017
Chicago, IL
If the Stars sign Kovy (and I believe they will go after him) its as much about developing Gurianov and Nichushkin as it is about improving the offense. Nuke and Kovy have spent the last two years together in the KHL and I think Nill would like to see that mentorship continue on the NHL in addition to Rads.

Benn Seguin Rads
Kovy Spezza Nichushkin
Janmark Faksa Elie
Dickinson Hintz Pitlick
[Hanzal/Smith]

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Their defence and goaltending was fine this year. Team couldn't score outside the top line was the problem. Bishop is a way better solution than Lehtonen and Niemi were in the past. For reference just look at their goals against from year to year. Last year 225GA- which was 7th best in the league. Where as their goals for was at only 235. The year prior, they gave up 262, which was 2nd worst and scored 223. If they can sustain that defensive production this year, and add a Kovalchuk to inflate the offense more, they are definitely a playoff team.
Yea bishops a good goalie but he’s injury prone and soon as he got injured last season we started the losing streak . The way he hurt himself the Second time , stretching across worries me . If that happens again next season wich it likely will , we’re screwed unless we find another quality tender this offseason .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->