Rumor: Kovalchuk news/rumors/discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Kovalchuk deal really had nothing to do with the fact VBK went broke even though the two are often intertwined as if it did...it didn't liquidate the franchise. They never even had to pay the big money years before he went back overseas. Chambers pulling out of ownership and VBK losing his shirt with Lehman did. Not to mention his 'dealings' with local businesses and sponsors.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We have absolutely no idea what conversations went on between Lou and Parise. Maybe Parise was stringing him along (which I personally don't buy), or maybe it really was a tough decision. Or maybe, as Jim has suggested, it wouldn't have mattered if he wanted to come back anyway. We may not have been able to afford him. Unless Zach or Lou go public about it (which they won't) it's all speculation.
What's not speculation was the team was broke.

The team was broke as hell in January of 2012 and some reports were they needed 30 million to keep the lights on...they were having trouble paying salaries in 2013 for gripes sake...Who would sign a long term contract with the Devils while that stuff was going on?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The Kovalchuk deal really had nothing to do with the fact VBK went broke even though the two are often intertwined as if it did...it didn't liquidate the franchise. Chambers pulling out and VBK losing his shirt with Lehman did.

The Kovalchuk deal was a liability that Vanderbeek's own partners scoffed at. It was systematic of his reckless decision making and poor management and that was a large reason everyone jumped ship shortly after.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I dont think it's mere coincidence that we suddenly had new owners once Kovy "retired" to Russia. Which is why I don't hold as much of a grudge against him as others. Had he stayed, I think we'd be in worse shape financially than we are now. The thing I do wonder about is what happens with his contract if he does come back? Do we end up having to pay more in recapture penalties? Or is it just looked at as being a new contract and the old penalties just stay the same? The league likes to make **** up as they go along, so I'd rather not get nailed yet again for Kovy.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
I dont think it's mere coincidence that we suddenly had new owners once Kovy "retired" to Russia. Which is why I don't hold as much of a grudge against him as others. Had he stayed, I think we'd be in worse shape financially than we are now. The thing I do wonder about is what happens with his contract if he does come back? Do we end up having to pay more in recapture penalties? Or is it just looked at as being a new contract and the old penalties just stay the same? The league likes to make **** up as they go along, so I'd rather not get nailed yet again for Kovy.

one of the reasons i dont hate Kovy as much is that he did free us of that awful contract he was given. as for his contract i think we just pay 250k a year on his original deal until it expires. for when he comes back he would be given a new one.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
one of the reasons i dont hate Kovy as much is that he did free us of that awful contract he was given. as for his contract i think we just pay 250k a year on his original deal until it expires. for when he comes back he would be given a new one.

That 250K is not a payment we must make, it is a penalty against the cap and it lasts for like the next 10 years.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
If he had waited another season it would have cost us like 3 million a season or something. Its much better the way it is.

Agreed. Was just clarifying. And I misread the OP on the "until it expires" comment. I thought he was saying the new contract would replace that but, of course, they are completely separate.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
How many players on the current team could do what Kovy did there? Cami? That's probably it...

Are you serious? A backdoor open net goal? The goal scorer is inconsequential on the backdoor play...it's the guy who gets the puck across who makes it happen on ANY backdoor play like that.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Are you serious? A backdoor open net goal? The goal scorer is inconsequential on the backdoor play...it's the guy who gets the puck across who makes it happen on ANY backdoor play like that.

Dead serious. Who else can score that goal? Every other player on the team now with the possible exception of Cami would have, at best, shot it right back into Lundqvist. Most would have flubbed the shot or missed the net. If you watched them play at all this season it would be hard to disagree. Really that's much more a knock on the current team than pumping up Kovy.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Dead serious. Who else can score that goal? Every other player on the team now with the possible exception of Cami would have, at best, shot it right back into Lundqvist. Most would have flubbed the shot or missed the net. If you watched them play at all this season it would be hard to disagree. Really that's much more a knock on the current team than pumping up Kovy.

Bernier would have scored it. He would have whiffed on it with the stick but it would have deflected off his leg and in. :sarcasm:

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Yeah I just don't see how that goal is one to include as evidence of immense talent. It was one of the best team plays you'll ever see, but it was the four guys who delivered the puck to Kovalchuk that made that play.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah I just don't see how that goal is one to include as evidence of immense talent. It was one of the best team plays you'll ever see, but it was the four guys who delivered the puck to Kovalchuk that made that play.

It's not. That's not the point. The point is that our current forwards suck and none of them could place a shot like that. I was just making that observation.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I remember watching an interview or reading something about Parise was trying to get Suter to come here. They were a package deal, you get both or none. Suter didn't want to play in the East for some odd reason, so they both went home to Minn.

I almost cried when I read that

Yeah, that one stung...just as hearing that the Devils were also very close to landing Chara when he originally signed with Boston.

Seeing Ovechkin last night dominate against the Rangers really made me miss having an elite goal scorer like Kovy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad