Rumor: Kovalchuk news/rumors/discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
yup, the guy who plotted his way out of NJ long before he hit free agency

We better stick to Czechs and guys from New England. For all my bluster about Cory on the other thread, he does have a great attitude and wants to be here.

GhostofKenKlee

Right! No one wants to make money, be close to family, and work with their best friend doing it. He did it just to spite the Devils

Going "home" never really ends well. I can't think of a recent example in the 30 team cycle that points it as a success.

Sheldon Souray
Kevin Stevens
Eric Lindros
Jay Bowmensteer

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
mounting evidence agrees with you. Between JP (RIP) and interview back home, he was going home kovalchuk or not.

Look at the timeline of when JP started talking and when they hired their new agent Don Meehan/Newport Sports...There is absolutely NO Question the Kovalchuk contract kicked off those events, None whatsoever.

Parise hired Newport the summer of 2010 this article was written in November 2010. Wade Arnott first floated the idea of 50 Million dollar contract (6X$8) around the time of this article November/December they wanted to negotiate and gave every indication that they would. Parise was practically begging to negotiate while he was injured. Those negotiations never came.

Parise just hired Meehan's firm, Newport Sports, via agent Wade Arnott. Some people might see that as an ominous sign, that Parise went from no agent to one of the sport's most powerful agencies, but New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamoriello didn't sound concerned when asked at the GMs meeting Tuesday in Toronto whether the hiring by Parise changed anything.

"Absolutely not. That's a player's prerogative," Lamoriello said. "We have an excellent relationship with Newport. They've got a job to do, and we've got a job to do. That's part of sports."

Lamoriello later told ESPN.com before leaving the GMs meeting that obviously at some point this season he'd like to sit down and begin that process with Newport. How this will play out is anyone's guess, but, for sure, Lamoriello and Newport, especially Meehan, have hammered out a zillion deals together over the years. We'll see.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/1712/contract-talks-create-quandary-for-stars

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
like Kovy?

Parise and Suter were planning this out during the season

I remember watching an interview or reading something about Parise was trying to get Suter to come here. They were a package deal, you get both or none. Suter didn't want to play in the East for some odd reason, so they both went home to Minn.

I almost cried when I read that

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
I remember watching an interview or reading something about Parise was trying to get Suter to come here. They were a package deal, you get both or none. Suter didn't want to play in the East for some odd reason, so they both went home to Minn.

I almost cried when I read that

Parise didnt try to get Suter here, Lou did.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Parise didnt try to get Suter here, Lou did.

Zach in an interview mentioned he talked about Suter coming here and Zach going to Nashville.

Also it was mostly about the money. They went to the Wings, but they wouldn't give Zach what he wanted, only Suter, so they went to the Wild.

Also this all started and happened when the one year deal was signed. There was time and a chance to get him signed, and it is possible our money issues came into play.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I remember watching an interview or reading something about Parise was trying to get Suter to come here.

I remember him saying something to that effect also....it was a load of BS. The Devils couldn't afford Parise and he knew it, let alone Parise and Sutter.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I remember him saying something to that effect also....it was a load of BS. The Devils couldn't afford Parise and he knew it, let alone Parise and Sutter.
It was lou that said he reached out to suter but suter had his intentions on playing in the west

NorwegianDevil

Jul 13, 2012
Trondheim, Norway
Oh Parise... The reason I became a fan of the New Jersey Devils.. Later on when we got Kovalchuk, I nearly died of happy orgasmic seizures...

Now we have .... Yeah... No forwards that makes my peepee go weeee!

Exchange Rose with me, and Jack with Kovalchuk.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
either way, Parise was never coming back

Not true at all. Parise was literally asking for negotiations from the summer of 2010 into early in 2011.

The Devils financial troubles began to surface at the beginning of the 2011-12 season...September of 2011 was the first loan payment miss by the Devils. By January of 2012 the Devils were seeking a loan from the NHL to keep the team running.

No matter what anyone says about wanting to go home or family or any of that BS nonsense... everything that happened from 2010 until Josh Harris bought the team was purely because of money...or lack thereof

That goes for Parise AND Kovalchuk.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We have absolutely no idea what conversations went on between Lou and Parise. Maybe Parise was stringing him along (which I personally don't buy), or maybe it really was a tough decision. Or maybe, as Jim has suggested, it wouldn't have mattered if he wanted to come back anyway. We may not have been able to afford him. Unless Zach or Lou go public about it (which they won't) it's all speculation.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We have absolutely no idea what conversations went on between Lou and Parise. Maybe Parise was stringing him along (which I personally don't buy), or maybe it really was a tough decision. Or maybe, as Jim has suggested, it wouldn't have mattered if he wanted to come back anyway. We may not have been able to afford him. Unless Zach or Lou go public about it (which they won't) it's all speculation.

Pretty much this. All we know is we were broke and it make of had little or everything to do with it. We will never know 100%. It's mostly educated guesses and speculation.

Anyway enough about Zach.

This thread is about the Russian. Bring back there or I'm just going to lock this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad