Post-Game Talk: Kovalchuk for Victory over Laffs 2-1

MOTG (20/02/08)

• Total voters

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Toronto was the better team until they scored. Didn't think they could keep skating the way were for the first two periods.

Habs hung in there and pulled it out.

Kovalchuk is good.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
We should do everything we can to resign Kovy, not trade him. Don’t you guys want a superstar on your team?
He was fighting the puck the whole nigh and cost us on Tavares' goal. He's a mirage. Useful at the moment, but not for long. Cash in and run.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Reading the Leafs GDT in real time while the Habs came back and won was just pure joy. Like having a shot of heroin and cocaine at the same time, all while eating lobster and getting... Well you guys get the point.

I fed on those tears like a hobo on a steak.
Dou on them.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Was about in the 3rd to say that Scandella probably played one of the worst defensive game I've seen....then he scores. Still, it was not a good defensive performance nonetheless. Then, for Kovy, Tatar, Petry, whatever, we should just stop talking about trades. Nothing will happen. I see only 1 guy that could be traded at this point....Domi. That's it. Aside from that, ntohing will happen. And I,m fine with giving Kovy a 1-year contract with low salary, tons of bonuses.

Then, I have a hard time thinking you could fire Julien. We know how it works when players just stop playing for the coach....and it's clear they don't do that. I understand that maybe, we could think that with high skills players all around, he might not be the coach for that team...but it's not the case right now.

Anyway, really entertaining game even if it was a low-score game.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Only watched the 3rd but it was a great period for the Habs. Played almost entirely in Leafs end. Kovalchuk had 3 great chances in regulation so happy to see him get the OT winner.

Somehow the ancient one out skated Barrie to the rebound for the winning goal. Nice work Barrie.

And Suzuki beat Matthews.

Campbell played a good game. Leafs are not good on D. Rookies aren't ready. Game got too fast for them. And Barrie just plain sucks.

Ouellet looked better than the last time he was up. His skating looks improved and he made a nice play to setup Scandella's goal.

Petry is in No Weber Beast Mode again. And, he takes a beating on these boards, but I thought Kulak was excellent.

Great to see Drouin out there again too.

Sweet win!!

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
I really predicted this all along with Kovalchuk.

Listen, 37 years old is for most players in the NHL and end of career type of age. But Kovalchuk's skill level is extremely high, he can still look elite. What LA did to him was an albatross, Montreal literally found a golden nugget. You do not trade this caliber of player for a 2nd rounder, ride him for the rest of the season. He will give your team more memories and a potential playoff run that will be a lot more valueable than a random second rounder. I'd love to see Kovy win a cup, but it really is amazing to see Kovalchuk to play for the best home crowd in the league. And I'm an NJ Devils fan. What Kovy did in his short tenure with the Devils is my most memorable time as a fan. He almost carried the 2011 Devils to a playoff run, and that 2012 playoff run was awesome with Kovy leading the way. You guys will appreciate Kovalchuk, he's truly a one of a kind player that is wayyyy worth more than draft picks. He belongs to a hockey city like Montreal, and he should retire there. And if he won a cup with y'all, that'd be the most epic story I've ever seen in the NHL, like Ovechkin winning the cup or Raymond Bourque winning his level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad