Post-Game Talk: Kovalchuk for Victory over Laffs 2-1

MOTG (20/02/08)

• Total voters

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Leafs were the better team in the first two periods, no doubt. The first was even in shots, but the leafs actually had more scoring chances, and the 2nd period, also saw the leafs with the puck alot. The habs were just hanging on. One of the only positives was was that the habs were somewhat limiting the amount of scoring chances overall with structured play, but they were producing zero chances themselves. Price was also very good, perhaps the best he has been all year to keep the game scoreless after 2.

The 3rd period was like the 2nd period in reverse. The leafs looked like a team hoping to win rather than taking the game by its throat. Montreal put up an onslaught in terms of shots, and while they were producing more chances, it still felt like they were too few and far between.

Finally, a breakthrough late in the game, on a questionable goal from a point shot.

Some leaf fans were blaming the refs (lol), but they were also saying that Campbell played well. I don't think I agree with that. I think Campbell was okay, but he wasn't really tested until the 3rd period, and he should have stopped the scandella shot.
The Scandella shot was deflected plus you had Suzuki jumping in front of him...plus the shot was hard....sometimes you just score

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The Scandella shot was deflected plus you had Suzuki jumping in front of him...plus the shot was hard....sometimes you just score

If it was deflected then sure, that can change things. It looked like a shot that just went through him, but I'd have to look at the highlights again.

But if you listen to Campbell's post game comments, he was pretty upset that he allowed that goal. I got the impression that he felt it was a stoppable puck too, regardless of a slight change in direction or not.

Reactions: jaffy27

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Laff fans are a unique breed of "stupid". They call the habs mediocre, which, I admit we are. They find it necessary to constantly remind all of North America how great their players are.

So, help me understand the logic. We've twice had 8 game losing streaks, long term major injuries to key players and, are having a pretty bad season.

That said, when I check the standings, I see we're only 5 points behind the greatest sports team ever assembled. Canada's team as they like to call themselves :nod::nod: Get the **** outta here!!! Like I said, a unique breed of "stupid" :laugh::laugh: As long as we beat these ****ers, I couldn't care less if we don't win any other games. What a win by the boys!!!!!!
The only thing they can beat us is with their mediocrities (plural countable IDC).

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
That skate came on Philipp’s 11th birthday Friday. Kovalchuk thought he had gotten him the perfect present, but he was wrong.
“We give him the PlayStation,” Kovalchuk said, “but he said, ‘I want you to score, that would be the best present.’”
Which explains why Kovalchuk is pointing up in the photo above. He is pointing at the luxury box where his family was sitting.

Everybody loves Kovy: Why Ilya Kovalchuk has quickly made it...

Valuing his dad scoring over a PS4, that's one selfless kid!

durojean

May 29, 2007
Ok but you said the Kovalchuk signing was bad because it was good. It made us better, and therefore is bad for the tank.

No guarantee Kovalchuk isn't still good for 2 or 3 more years. Jagr and Selanne were still effective at 40.

Selanne had 80 points at the age of 40 and 66 at the age of 41.

Still end result will be bad for us. At least for this year.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I don't expect that we have a better top 6 next year.

Keeping Kovalchuk doesn't necessarly make the top 6 better but it will definetely make the top 9 better. We're not a team of superstars so we have no choice to make a good top 9 in order to be competitve.

vwbm

Aug 27, 2013
The only thing they can beat us is with their mediocrities (plural countable IDC).[/QUOTE

leaf here come in peace lol

you do know habs may of swept the leafs so far this year
do you idiots know the advantage rested teams have waiting for a team that played the night before?

stats or percentage of teams wining as a rested team...
i dislike it either way
not fair know ebery team has to endure it
i suggest home & home.

and habs to tank this year would be perfect to grab a star.

leaf d needs help.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
leaf here come in peace lol

you do know habs may of swept the leafs so far this year
do you idiots know the advantage rested teams have waiting for a team that played the night before?

stats or percentage of teams wining as a rested team...
i dislike it either way
not fair know ebery team has to endure it
i suggest home & home.

and habs to tank this year would be perfect to grab a star.

leaf d needs help.

haha jokes on you, we idiots already know all that.

but a win is a win is a win and the leafs probably needed that win worse than we did

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Keep Kovalchuk. Who care about 3rd-4th rounders ?

On average 3rd rounders are AHLers. Kovalchuk is Kovalchuk

ok, but passing on a 2nd or especially a 1st hurts just as much as trading him does - the do just hurt in different ways (short term versus long term for starters).

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
If it was deflected then sure, that can change things. It looked like a shot that just went through him, but I'd have to look at the highlights again.

But if you listen to Campbell's post game comments, he was pretty upset that he allowed that goal. I got the impression that he felt it was a stoppable puck too, regardless of a slight change in direction or not.
Yea, he should have had it.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I don't care what your stance/opinion/vision is... if you're a Habs fan and didn't have fun/enjoy yesterday's outcome/jumped up your seat when Kovalchuk scored, you have issues.
Best Habs game of the year. Although I only watched the third period. ha! 16-1 in shots. :laugh:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I respectfully disagree. This one stands one in my mind.

With all due respect I work with many annoying leaf fans. Saturday was my best Habs game of the season !

Runner up was the 4-1 come back in the third, to beat the Loafs in OT in October.

Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
With all due respect I work with many annoying leaf fans. Saturday was my best Habs game of the season !

Runner up was the 4-1 come back in the third, to beat the Loafs in OT in October.

That October game was easily my favourite.

If the Leafs miss the playoffs by a couple points or by a ROW, that October loss as well as the choke job Saturday are going to sting.

Reactions: PaulD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad