Value of: Kovalchuk, Carter, or Quick at 50% retained

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Why would we even trade them away ????
Those 3 guys are guaranteeing us 3 years of picks in the 1-3 range.
If any, we take on bad contracts and get picks in return.

There absolutely no trade or any change to our actual roster that turns us into a playoff team.
So let's have a hell of a ride the next 4 years and have a blast at the draft events.

Worked great when drafting Kopitar, Brown and Doughty.

Reactions: KINGS17

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Why would we even trade them away ????
Those 3 guys are guaranteeing us 3 years of picks in the 1-3 range.
If any, we take on bad contracts and get picks in return.

There absolutely no trade or any change to our actual roster that turns us into a playoff team.
So let's have a hell of a ride the next 4 years and have a blast at the draft events.

Worked great when drafting Kopitar, Brown and Doughty.

At no point did I suggest packaging any assets to trade these players. I believe that all three are and can continue to be valuable, productive players in the NHL. If anything, trading them makes the Kings worse.

Reactions: Steeler23

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Has Carter really declined that much? I'd be tempted to try him on the Jets (with salary retention).

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
Carter had a down year, yes. He was rehabbing an injury, has 2 small kids at home, has 2 cups already and his team was out of contention pretty much the entire year. No shit he had a down yeAr and dogged it. I feel he’s still top 6 winger in this league. Move him to wing this year, he can still skate and shoot. People underestimating this dude big time.

Reactions: RocketKing

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Carter had a down year, yes. He was rehabbing an injury, has 2 small kids at home, has 2 cups already and his team was out of contention pretty much the entire year. No **** he had a down yeAr and dogged it. I feel he’s still top 6 winger in this league. Move him to wing this year, he can still skate and shoot. People underestimating this dude big time.

Robert Hagg for Carter at 50% retained?

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
We need Carter, Quick and Kovy to continue the tank and get more picks. Sorry.

I really disagree. I don’t think the Kings have better replacement-level players, with the exception of Quick. Kovalchuk scored 16 goals in 64 games, with many of those on the fourth line! I understand he wasn’t playing two-way hockey, but who was for LA? He was in Wd40’s doghouse most of the year. Carter looked really bad at the beginning of the year but got better as the season went on.

Quick, at under $3 million is still a great goalie. You could do worse than Kovalchuk and Carter in your top 9, especially at third line salaries.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
What would your team be willing to offer for any of these guys with (or without) retention?

Kovalchuk: 2 years, $6,250,000 cap hit
$3,125,000 at 50% retained, $4,950,00 actual salary remaining

Carter: 3 years, $5,272,727 cap hit
$2,636,364 at 50% retained, $7,000,000 actual salary remaining

Quick: 4 years, $5,800,000 cap hit
$2,900,000 at 50% retained, $16,000,000 actual salary remaining

All three guys have a higher cap hit than they do salary remaining, and all three guys can still be positive contributors to new teams. Wondering what these guys at 50% retention might fetch. Looking mostly for picks and prospects.

Lucic 50% retain + Koskinen + 2021 1st for Quick and Carter

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Honestly they are at their lowest value wise.

Need a big rebound just so they can be mentioned at the next trade deadline.

Kings are stuck with them now.

All three could have solid years under a new coach and recommitment.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Am I having deja view here? Yes we all know the 3 of them had a bad season. However this is reminding me of Dustin Brown and how everyone was saying hes done worst contract in the nhl etc. Browns issues was a coach that he didn't get along with. Based on how bad everyone played last year in la I have this feeling coaching had a huge effect on our players. I am more then willing to see how they all play under a better coach before sending them out at %50 off Just one King fans opinion not a popular one but just as valid as anyones on the site :)

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Am I having deja view here? Yes we all know the 3 of them had a bad season. However this is reminding me of Dustin Brown and how everyone was saying hes done worst contract in the nhl etc. Browns issues was a coach that he didn't get along with. Based on how bad everyone played last year in la I have this feeling coaching had a huge effect on our players. I am more then willing to see how they all play under a better coach before sending them out at %50 off Just one King fans opinion not a popular one but just as valid as anyones on the site :)

I think you’re totally right, I was just wondering what the value would be. This could be a fun thread to revisit either at the deadline or next summer.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I think you’re totally right, I was just wondering what the value would be. This could be a fun thread to revisit either at the deadline or next summer.
I could see all 3 having bounce back years and returning a positive return weather a pick or prospects The kings will get younger and faster. At worse they suck and we get a top 5 pick either way i think it will benefit the kings more keeping them then trading and retaining cap

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Of the 3, I'd move Carter then Kovalchuk then Quick. I think all can and will bounce back. People are underestimating how shitty the coaching in L.A. was last season, and some of these guys coasted during the shit show season. With a new real coach and a fire under their ass/axe over their head I'm pretty sure they're going to be much better.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Lots of teams around the league that have ? goalie issues. I could see Quick having a lot of interest around the league.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Lots of teams around the league that have ? goalie issues. I could see Quick having a lot of interest around the league.

Very few though (maybe none) have such ? in goal that they are willing to take on a 33 year-old with 4 years left of an almost $6 million cap hit. Especially a goalie who was statistically the worst in the NHL last year. Different story if he only had one year left but 4 is a killer. In fact, looking around the league I don't see any teams that desperate for goaltending.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Id keep kovalchuk and see what he can do with more opportunity. He looked good last year. Quick wasnt his best last year but the defense in front of him was horrid so its not totally on him.
Carter was bad. Real bad. Pathetic. Hope he was playing hurt. If he plays like that this year i hope he retires sooner than later. I actually really like him and hes always been a driver for the team so they need him to be on his game and get enganged.
Kovalchuck and quick were more of "the kings were bad and it dragged them down and made them look bad." With carter its more "he is one of the main reasons the kings were bad."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad