Value of: Kovalchuk, Carter, or Quick at 50% retained

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
What would your team be willing to offer for any of these guys with (or without) retention?

Kovalchuk: 2 years, $6,250,000 cap hit
$3,125,000 at 50% retained, $4,950,00 actual salary remaining

Carter: 3 years, $5,272,727 cap hit
$2,636,364 at 50% retained, $7,000,000 actual salary remaining

Quick: 4 years, $5,800,000 cap hit
$2,900,000 at 50% retained, $16,000,000 actual salary remaining

All three guys have a higher cap hit than they do salary remaining, and all three guys can still be positive contributors to new teams. Wondering what these guys at 50% retention might fetch. Looking mostly for picks and prospects.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
If the Goaltending situation gets bad I could see Colorado having interest in Quick.

I realize that Gru can possibly have a fallback season and it's also possible Francouz isn't ready.

However if that's the case there's still a LOT of guys due for re-upping every year moving forward that are going to get raises. The term would be a deterrent from Quick being the plug fit in that situation.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
You aren’t getting anything beyond a 3rd for thrm.

Carter can retire.

Quick carries recapture. This year his salatu is $7M which is above cap.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
You aren’t getting anything beyond a 3rd for thrm.

Carter can retire.

Quick carries recapture. This year his salatu is $7M which is above cap.

saved

if any of them go this trade deadline, i'll revisit this strong statement made

Reactions: deaderhead28

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I realize that Gru can possibly have a fallback season and it's also possible Francouz isn't ready.

However if that's the case there's still a LOT of guys due for re-upping every year moving forward that are going to get raises. The term would be a deterrent from Quick being the plug fit in that situation.
If it were 50% retained on $5.8M even buying out the last 2 years wouldn't be that bad.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
If it were 50% retained on $5.8M even buying out the last 2 years wouldn't be that bad.

It wouldn't, but in the same light it would be less negatively impactful for them to pick up someone else via trade or even one of the guys who's still a UFA right now.

Doesn't make sense for Colorado.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
Carter is becoming so bad that he won't even fetch something at 2.6 for 3 years?

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Quick still has too many years left on his contract. He needs to have a bounce back year(no injuries and better numbers) to even draw trade interest again. Also, any Quick trade would involve a roster player going back that has a similar annual salary plus a pick or prospect.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
what would you want from the avalanche for kovy @ 50%. Futures? Roster players?

Futures.

Carter is becoming so bad that he won't even fetch something at 2.6 for 3 years?

Pretty wild... he had a down year recovering from an injury on a terrible Kings team. I think all three guys are being considerably undervalued here.

We’re talking about:

Kovalchuk, 2 years at $3,125,000
Carter, 3 years at $2,636,364
Quick, 4 years at $2,900,000

If any of these contracts were signed on July 1st, they’d be considered good-to-great moves.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
ya don't listen to that hater

you got Mrazek @ $3.1m and Cam Talbot signed @ $2.75m, you're going to tell me that Quick isn't worth $2.9m???

you got Filpulla @ $3m, and PE Bellemare @ $1.8m, and you're going to tell me that Carter isn't worth $2.6m???

you got Hagelin @ $2.75m and Simmonds @ $5m and you're going to tell me that Kovalchuk isn't worth $3.1m???

pure hate

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
Futures.

Pretty wild... he had a down year recovering from an injury on a terrible Kings team. I think all three guys are being considerably undervalued here.

We’re talking about:

Kovalchuk, 2 years at $3,125,000
Carter, 3 years at $2,636,364
Quick, 4 years at $2,900,000

If any of these contracts were signed on July 1st, they’d be considered good-to-great moves.

That's what I thought. Quick probably have too much term for a couple of teams liking, but I can't see how teams wouldn't try Kovalchuk for 2 years or Carter for 3 years.

I don't know if it could work, but from an Habs POV, I would give a shot to Carter (@25 to 50%). Big veteran C, who can help KK and Poehling develop into great center. Nothing against Danault, he's a great team player, but if Bergevin miss on his next OS attemp, you could always send Domi back to the wings (big risk IMO, after having his best year), and use Danault-KK-Carter-Poehling-Thompson down the C. The more I talk about it, I don't know if that's a great idea, and I don't know if Carter is a good leader, but that would be an idea worth exploring.

Reactions: kilowatt

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
ya don't listen to that hater

you got Mrazek @ $3.1m and Cam Talbot signed @ $2.75m, you're going to tell me that Quick isn't worth $2.9m???

you got Filpulla @ $3m, and PE Bellemare @ $1.8m, and you're going to tell me that Carter isn't worth $2.6m???

you got Hagelin @ $2.75m and Simmonds @ $5m and you're going to tell me that Kovalchuk isn't worth $3.1m???

pure hate

Here are some players that Kovalchuk had a higher points per game than: Jason Zucker, Adam Henrique, William Nylander, Nolan Patrick, Kyle Turris, Charlie Coyle, and Wayne Simmonds, to name a few.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
All you need is one idiot gm...that I can’t control. We’re thry at the deadline UFA rentals that would be different..but they aren’t.

or a smart one

i'm pretty sure, for example, if Edmonton had a choice between Quick Koskinen and Smith, they'd pick Quick 10 times out of 10 @ $2.9m !!! lol

Last edited by a moderator:

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Flames fan, would Carter @ 50% for Frolik + 20 2nd/1st(Carter playing over 65 games(so giving him 17 games to miss ) be good?

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
All three of these players show a predictable decline from their previous high levels of performance due to age. I hate to say that mid 30's is old, but it is in hockey years, and age, a reduction in hand/eye coordination, and wear and tear have had their inevitable impact on performance. Fortunately for the Kings they are sufficiently below cap that these contracts are not going to hamstring them this year, and probably not in future years.

Of the three of them, I think that Kovalchuk at 50% for two years is the most interesting. He played reasonably well on the power play last year and I think that he still has at least one year in the tank at a second line level. He just did not fit in with the team last year, but he can still play. I would look for a third for him. I think if you offered a second the Kings would jump at that just due to the difficulties that they had in fitting him in with the team.

I wouldn't touch Carter with three years to go. He looked pretty bad last year. Of the three players he looks to have had the most decline. He is, in my opinion, pretty much a bottom six forward at this point in time, and by the third year I question if he will even be 4th line quality. If he continues to decline he looks like a buy out candidate.

I just think that Quick has fallen to an average starter. I find this particularly sad since he was so good at one time. Sometime during the next four years he is going to be considered a back up, not a starter. $2.9 million is too much to pay for that.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
What would your team be willing to offer for any of these guys with (or without) retention?

Kovalchuk: 2 years, $6,250,000 cap hit
$3,125,000 at 50% retained, $4,950,00 actual salary remaining

Carter: 3 years, $5,272,727 cap hit
$2,636,364 at 50% retained, $7,000,000 actual salary remaining

Quick: 4 years, $5,800,000 cap hit
$2,900,000 at 50% retained, $16,000,000 actual salary remaining

All three guys have a higher cap hit than they do salary remaining, and all three guys can still be positive contributors to new teams. Wondering what these guys at 50% retention might fetch. Looking mostly for picks and prospects.
I think Carter would be the ideal 2nd line center for the Sabres for a year, and then a 3rd line center when Mittelstadt or Cozens is ready.

He would bring much needed leadership too.

Just not sure he is worth very much at this point. Maybe Nylander and a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick. Doubt he'd come to Buffalo anyways.

If I knew Quick was going to be able to stay healthy, I'd take him too as a bridge to Luukkonen...that could really help Buffalo towards making the playoffs. (I don't like Hutton.)

Reactions: kilowatt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad