Speculation: Kovalchuck, Shipachev, Dadonov in Montreal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Dadonov: Under 5'11" plays RW. Radulov, Shaw, Gallagher already...

Don't know if Habs sign this guy.

luthar

Nov 29, 2011
Mtl
Shipashev signed with Vegas for cheap.

Unproven NHLer (but lots of potential), 2 years at 4.5M$ cap...

Vegas doesn't care because they will not max the cap and having 4.5M locked up won't matter to them. Imagine if the Habs gave him this contract and he is Sedin #2, you will be crying for blood fast!

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Unproven NHLer (but lots of potential), 2 years at 4.5M$ cap...

Vegas doesn't care because they will not max the cap and having 4.5M locked up won't matter to them. Imagine if the Habs gave him this contract and he is Sedin #2, you will be crying for blood fast!

I'd take two years of Shypachev at $5.5m per over another year of Plekanec at $6.0m anyday. Sedin #2 ? Hey...that's still better than Danault #1.

luthar

Nov 29, 2011
Mtl
I'd take two years of Shypachev at $5.5m per over another year of Plekanec at $6.0m anyday. Sedin #2 ? Hey...that's still better than Danault #1.

Sure why not, we have Danault and McC for 3C duties... now the hard question, how do you get rid of Pleks salary?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
People make it sound like 4.5 for 2 years is a bargain. What's fair price then? 7?

Let's be real here. He got paid under the assumption he will be a #2C as soon as next season. If right, it it's worth it. If not, it's not.

I think the term and price is fair if he's indeed projected to be that.

It's easier for LV to pay as they don't have cap issues and can dictate their lineup to avoid it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Look at Pittsburgh's roster, height isn't everything. It definitely factors in, but it can be made up for in other ways, and you can still win cups.

That only works when you got centers like Crosby and Malkin. It's rare. Most teams are looking for size and skating combo these days.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
2 years at 4.5 million per year for a player who has NOT played one NHL game is ludicrous.

The Habs are obviously working on something way bigger.

I really think were waiting for Duchene. He fits on our roster. Speed, two way game, and face offs, with good offense. We have the pieces to make the deal happen. Were just waiting for the Avs to realize what the true market price is. Draft day!

Or were waiting for Tavares to decide what he's doing with the NYI.

Just imagine getting both! Tavares (sign and trade) for Galchenyuk, Mete, Beaulieu, 1st (2017), 2nd (2018). Duchene for Juulsen, 2nd (2017), 1st (2018), Gallagher, Pleky, Lindgren.

Lehkonen / Tavares / Radulov
Patch / Duchene / Byron
Hudon / Danault / Shaw
DLR / McCarron / Mitchell

Jerabek / Weber
Benn / Petry
Markov / Sergachev

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I asked a while back if anyone has even seen these guys play, I got silence.

Dadonov played in NA and his AHL stats were underwhelming.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=96427

His KHL totals seem to have skyrocketed when he joined SKA where Kovalchuk plays.

Less time and space and Dadonov is very average or barely a NHL player IMO. In the KHL, he's above average when playing with other elite level talent. Buyer beware!

We need centers.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
How do you figure? Why would you ever sign any contract to live in Vegas for cheap? Shipachev took the highest he could of taken or he would of waited till after July 1st.

St. Petersburg offered him $5,5m over 4 years, so he didn't take the best offer.

Also, according to Basu, Ship's team did come back to Montreal to see if they were still interested. But, they weren't.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
St. Petersburg offered him $5,5m over 4 years, so he didn't take the best offer.

Also, according to Basu, Ship's team did come back to Montreal to see if they were still interested. But, they weren't.

How do you know? Just curious. Insider info? I also wonder what the tax situation is between Montreal, LV, and Russia?

Something also tells me that why are so many guys bolting for the NHL? I think the KHL doesn't have as much money as they use to. Maybe teams are not offering too many huge contracts as they use to?

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I really think were waiting for Duchene. He fits on our roster. Speed, two way game, and face offs, with good offense. We have the pieces to make the deal happen. Were just waiting for the Avs to realize what the true market price is. Draft day!

Or were waiting for Tavares to decide what he's doing with the NYI.

Just imagine getting both! Tavares (sign and trade) for Galchenyuk, Mete, Beaulieu, 1st (2017), 2nd (2018). Duchene for Juulsen, 2nd (2017), 1st (2018), Gallagher, Pleky, Lindgren.

Lehkonen / Tavares / Radulov
Patch / Duchene / Byron
Hudon / Danault / Shaw
DLR / McCarron / Mitchell

Jerabek / Weber
Benn / Petry
Markov / Sergachev

I'm sorry but I can't imagine sending a 1st round prospect (Juulsen) a 1st a 2nd and Gallagher + an NHL caliber goalie prospect for Matt Duchene.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Less time and space and Dadonov is very average or barely a NHL player IMO. In the KHL, he's above average when playing with other elite level talent. Buyer beware!

We need centers.

Who knows, late bloomers exist.

He has also dominated internationally the last few years.

Fair enough. My point being I've never seen him play and I think the majority of us haven't either.

I have no clue if 4.5 is fair value or not.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'm sorry but I can't imagine sending a 1st round prospect (Juulsen) a 1st a 2nd and Gallagher + an NHL caliber goalie prospect for Matt Duchene.

Duchene for Galchenyuk as a base is already close/fair IMO. Adding 3-4 extra pieces would be overkill.

Don't think they want a forward though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I think it's over payment but that's what it's going to take. It's called supply and demand. If you don't pay the price, someone else will for a top 2 center in Duchene who has decent offense, win's faceoffs, and can play a very good two way game.

Tankster*

Jun 18, 2016
St Jean (US export)
How do you know? Just curious. Insider info? I also wonder what the tax situation is between Montreal, LV, and Russia?

Something also tells me that why are so many guys bolting for the NHL? I think the KHL doesn't have as much money as they use to. Maybe teams are not offering too many huge contracts as they use to?

So in Nevada it will cost him 1,800,000 in income tax.
Montreal 2,200,000
Russia 585,000

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Duchene for Galchenyuk as a base is already close/fair IMO. Adding 3-4 extra pieces would be overkill.

Don't think they want a forward though.

I don't agree. Duchene vs Galchenyuk (on the ice and future potential) is close. However, an RFA and soon to be UFA are not the same thing. Can't believe how many people are not considering this.

NO WAY you trade Chucky for a rental. Even if it's a 2 year rental. That's a stupid use of assets where Duchene can walk in 2 years. Then some people say this... "yeah but Galchenyuk can be a fee agent in 2 seasons too you know". Yeah, totally possible, but highly unlikely! There is a far greater chances Galchenyuk signs a long term contract this season or next and Duchene heads into UFA free agency in 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad