News Article: Kovacevic: No excuses for Crosby, Malkin

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Using the Olympics in this discussion makes no sense. Not only would I argue that 3 of the 4 (5 in Geno's case) Olympic games they played weren't "big" games at all, but to make judgements about the NHL playoffs based on a completely foreign situation with a different ice surface, less ice time, and linemates they are uncomfortable with makes no sense to me. It's also not like they have looked bad in the games they've played. The points aren't there, but they played well for the most part.

You can use the Boston series, but no one scored in that series and we had a plethora of other issues. Again, they are the least of my concerns. Crosby is the 5th fastest to reach 100 career playoff points (or if you still want to talk about the Olympics, the Golden Goal scorer) and Geno is a Conn Symthe winner.

Just like the article says no more excuses, i wanna see Geno and Sid get it done when it counts, i don't care about there line mates or coaches or who there playing against, they make lots of money to score goals, they need to go out there and do there job, no more excuses.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Just like the article says no more excuses, i wanna see Geno and Sid get it done when it counts, i don't care about there line mates or coaches or who there playing against, they make lots of money to score goals, they need to go out there and do there job, no more excuses.

There. Their. They're not the same.

Fire Shero*

I'm not sure how Crosby dominates against Boston or a western conference team with Kobasew, Megna, Gibbons, Bennett or whatever other schmuck if he can't excel in the Olympics with one world class winger and Kunitz.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

I don't think you understand the point I was making there. The Olympics have absolutely no barring on anything involving the NHL or the NHL playoffs. They are two ENTIRELY different situations.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. You think the Olympics somehow relate to the NHL playoffs, I don't think they could be more different. You think we should be "worried" about Crosby and Malkin come playing time and I think that's asinine considering we have an ever growing list of other, much bigger issues to worry about.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
It's clearly not just the media. It's DB as well, without saying so out loud, that believe the same thing in that Sid and Geno have to carry the load.

Just look at how DB is coaching (granted, with different assistants). Line matching, etc. even going as far today as saying how Backes is going to be on Crosby, which from a coaching standpoint, is the right thing to do.

With the Penguins, it's basically "Bah, I can't be bothered, I have the two best players in the world. They can figure it out on their own."

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
"Only the Russians know what Malkin is thinking, of course — he's still not speaking with North American reporters — but his problem has been the polar opposite of Crosby's: You couldn't pry the puck off his stick with a crowbar since he has come over. Rather than capitalizing on sharing a line with the world's most feared shooter, he's pretty much trying to stickhandle through entire nations."

I watched three of Russia's games and didn't see this at all. What I saw was a lot of Malkin carrying the puck through the neutral zone, hits Ovechkin with a pass enabling OV to enter the zone, and then OV NEVER looking to pass it back to Malkin. OV would do his "thing" where he carries down his wall, cuts in, and fires. He has done this regardless of where defenders are. His line looks like a junior high girls' basketball team when they won't pass the ball to the girl who bought the same skirt as the point guard. I'm not seeing any selfishness in Malkin's play.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

this is some really thoughtful and technical analysis and i expect no less of course. you can just feel the personal experience and hockey knowledge present here

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I watched three of Russia's games and didn't see this at all. What I saw was a lot of Malkin carrying the puck through the neutral zone, hits Ovechkin with a pass enabling OV to enter the zone, and then OV NEVER looking to pass it back to Malkin. OV would do his "thing" where he carries down his wall, cuts in, and fires. He has done this regardless of where defenders are. His line looks like a junior high girls' basketball team when they won't pass the ball to the girl who bought the same skirt as the point guard. I'm not seeing any selfishness in Malkin's play.

Exactly. It was downright embarrassing how Ovechkin refused to take advantage of playing on a line with a great playmaker. James Neal (or pretty much any player who plays with Malkin) knows that if you pass the puck to Geno chances are you will get it back if you find yourself in a good position to score, so of course, that's what he usually does, instead of trying to deke through the entire defence or shoot through the entire defence from the blue line. I am disappointed that Malkin did not do more - he s good enough to ignore OV and make things happen all on his own but I still can't fathom why OV played the way he did or why his coach allowed this to continue for so long.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Sid and Geno gotta find a way, hopefully they get it done in the playoffs.

Because we have no depth.
Because we have defensive breakdowns worthy of midget league players.
Because we manage to collectively lose our composure when adversity hits.
Because we refuse to try different personnel in different positions to try and find success.
Because our goaltender has been historically poor the last few playoffs (TV aside.)
Because we continue to attempt the stretch pass when it fails time and time again.
This is a partial list, there's more where that came from.

So yeah, plan A, Sid and Geno gotta find a way.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Exactly. It was downright embarrassing how Ovechkin refused to take advantage of playing on a line with a great playmaker. James Neal (or pretty much any player who plays with Malkin) knows that if you pass the puck to Geno chances are you will get it back if you find yourself in a good position to score, so of course, that's what he usually does, instead of trying to deke through the entire defence or shoot through the entire defence from the blue line. I am disappointed that Malkin did not do more - he s good enough to ignore OV and make things happen all on his own but I still can't fathom why OV played the way he did or why his coach allowed this to continue for so long.

You think Ovechkin doesn't know how to play with a great playmaking center? Dude leads the league in goals.

Neither superstar Russian played their best in this tournament, but to suggest Ovechkin doesn't know how to play with someone of Malkin's ilk is just silly.

They didn't show any chemistry at all, that's for sure. Which basically gives more reason to why they have rarely ever played together in the past when on national teams.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Because we refuse to try different personnel in different positions to try and find success.
Because our goaltender has been historically poor the last few playoffs (TV aside.)
Because we continue to attempt the stretch pass when it fails time and time again.

The bolded is a much bigger issue for 87 and 71 in the playoffs than their stats, IMO. DK's article would have been more incisive had he brought this issue up. Agree on the other issues (although I don't hate the stretch pass like many here).

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

Lots of excuses there, believe or not Sid and Geno do have bad playoff games and bad playoff series, it really does happen.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
You think Ovechkin doesn't know how to play with a great playmaking center? Dude leads the league in goals.

Neither superstar Russian played their best in this tournament, but to suggest Ovechkin doesn't know how to play with someone of Malkin's ilk is just silly.

I am aware that Ovechkin knows how to play with a star center which is exactly why I was surprised he showed about as much aptitude to play with Malkin as Chuck Kobasew.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

This seems to be the club's attitude as well, and why the Pens' chances ride exclusively on Sid and Geno going into God mode, instead of addressing the supporting cast and maybe, I don't know, improving that so that Sid and Geno can be human and the Pens still have a shot at winning?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Don't set them up to fail and be surprised when they do. The winger situation needs to be handled, the bottom 6 situation needs to be handled. Don't rely on two players who you set up to fail to carry the team to glory.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
This seems to be the club's attitude as well, and why the Pens' chances ride exclusively on Sid and Geno going into God mode, instead of addressing the supporting cast and maybe, I don't know, improving that so that Sid and Geno can be human and the Pens still have a shot at winning?

I wouldn't say God mode, but i would say the pens and every other NHL team needs there best players to play really good hockey if there going to have a chance at the cup.

If the pens lose in round 1 because they don't have enough around Sid/Geno and Sid/Geno do there part and average a point or so a game i'd understand, you could at least say at that point that Sid/Geno did there job.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The Sid-Geno duo brought their team to the Cup finals twice under mostly MT's guidance/systems.

I have no doubt they can do it again and alot of my finger pointing goes to the coach and GM.

Last edited:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
"Only the Russians know what Malkin is thinking, of course — he's still not speaking with North American reporters — but his problem has been the polar opposite of Crosby's: You couldn't pry the puck off his stick with a crowbar since he has come over. Rather than capitalizing on sharing a line with the world's most feared shooter, he's pretty much trying to stickhandle through entire nations."

You are correct and Kovacevik was wrong in his analysis. No idea what tournament he was watching, but it wasn't the same one I saw (or you saw or any number of other people here).

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
And this goes back to an argument I got killed for by some a couple months back:

Malkin and Crosby are not Gretzky or Lemieux. They aren't even Jagr in his prime. This tournament once again is proof positive of that.

The game has gotten too systematic, too smart. Gone are the days where your bottom 2-3 defenseman can't pivot well in a certain direction where they can be exploited. Gone are the days where Kurri and Hull would be on highlight reels and taking one timers with NOBODY around them, as if it's some shock that the greatest shooters in the world can score goals.

Today, even the world's best players are a hair's length above those who are considered below them in talent. Today, even the world's best players need help and support.

Alas no. Once again, even the best writer out there falls to the simplistic line of thinking that "THE BEST PLAYERS NEED TO SCORE ALL THE TIME, EVERY TIME!!!" Is it any wonder how casual hockey fans read this and believe it?

I agree with everything you said. It really is a different game today.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

You are correct and Kovacevik was wrong in his analysis. No idea what tournament he was watching, but it wasn't the same one I saw (or you saw or any number of other people here).

Agreed. Wonder how much the bolded portion in the first quote influenced what Kovacevik was looking to see and write about.

87CROSBYBEST87

Jan 20, 2014
The whispers around Sochi was that Geno called out Ovechkin for being a barb. Ovechkin in turn; went to sulk mode and was a non factor.

As for the comments about "Canadians" wanting Kunitz off the team. it was the Canadiens fans with an "E" The TSN blogs were flooded with bitter hab fans crying about how Kunitz was only there because of Sid. There were even ridiculous suggestions that Kunitz be benched in favor of subban who would play on Sids wing to infuse offence. These were the rantings of the disillusioned; some who even resorted to bringing up the race card; as an excuse for subban not playing.

I was so glad to see Sid and Kuni stick it to all the naysayers today.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The whispers around Sochi was that Geno called out Ovechkin for being a barb. Ovechkin in turn; went to sulk mode and was a non factor.

As for the comments about "Canadians" wanting Kunitz off the team. it was the Canadiens fans with an "E" The TSN blogs were flooded with bitter hab fans crying about how Kunitz was only there because of Sid. There were even ridiculous suggestions that Kunitz be benched in favor of subban who would play on Sids wing to infuse offence. These were the rantings of the disillusioned; some who even resorted to bringing up the race card; as an excuse for subban not playing.

I wouldn't be surprised, but where did you hear this?

It's going to take time, but I figure over the next few months there will be all kinds of interesting **** coming out about the Russian team behind the scenes.

Malkin112*

What is barb? Where are these rumors coming from? I really think everything went wrong when Bill decided to leave Malkin out of 1PP unit.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

Kunitz was there only because of Sid, and after a rough start, he played pretty well (except when several passes in the neutral zone banged off his blade), especially in the last two games. Babcock realized pretty early that he was the best option on Sid's left wing and he ended up being vindicated.

As for Subban, I checked into the main boards once early in the tournament and his status on the bench made up probably 60% of the posts during a game. :shakehead. Maybe he would have outplayed Vlasic, but beyond that, he was probably right where he should have been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad