Speculation: KOTR's Fan Base Mock Draft (Arizona on the clock now)

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
We don't need LHD. If it was a need, we would just pick Hanifin.

We have a far bigger organization void at RHD, but wouldn't hurt to replenish some of our LHD depth.

That being said, it should be easier to pick-up veteran stop-gaps at LHD than at RHD, so I'm not really worried about it. Focus on getting righties in the draft.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Jeremy Bracco.

If it's going to be a train wreck, might as well have some fun and skill.

I like Bracco but heard he bombed the fitness portion at the combine. Even without that, I think he falls around the late second. Maybe we can get him with the NYR pick.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yep. We have C depth at the prospect level but lack high end upside. RW prospects are fairly bare after Hank and Duke(who's LHS). LD has elite talent in OEL, a few coin tosses in Gormley, Moore and Dahlbeck but nothing at all in the prospect pipeline. Just bare. Same goes for RHD. Murphy and Stone are promising. That's all we've got. We need C, RW, LD, and RD.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I think we'll draft a goalie this year. I hope it's not in the first round.
Having 0 good goalies is a nightmare.
Having 1 is great.
Having 2 is really great.
Having 3 is a waste.

No other position has as sharp a spike in terms of how many you need for success. Smith is under contract for 4 more years, a decent veteran backup is available every year and a decent veteran AHL goalie is available every year.

Given how hard goalies are to project, I'd rather never draft goalies, just sign solid UFA veterans, and use my late picks on skilled, under-sized sliders. Forwards who can score. Big, strong centers who might be a touch slow. Undersized defensemen who can skate. You can never have too many lottery tickets when searching for these types of players.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Having 0 good goalies is a nightmare.
Having 1 is great.
Having 2 is really great.
Having 3 is a waste.

No other position has as sharp a spike in terms of how many you need for success. Smith is under contract for 4 more years, a decent veteran backup is available every year and a decent veteran AHL goalie is available every year.

Given how hard goalies are to project, I'd rather never draft goalies, just sign solid UFA veterans, and use my late picks on skilled, under-sized sliders. Forwards who can score. Big, strong centers who might be a touch slow. Undersized defensemen who can skate. You can never have too many lottery tickets when searching for these types of players.

I'd be ok with a goalie in the mid to late rounds but your last paragraph is dead on, it may be better to take fliers on guys like that.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'd be ok with a goalie in the mid to late rounds but your last paragraph is dead on, it may be better to take fliers on guys like that.

IMO the 7th round pick was meant for goalies (no offense to goalies). Goalies are such a crap shoot anyway in terms of development that it's nearly impossible to justify spending a higher-round pick on them.

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
I'm okay with late round goalie picks only if the scouts fell in love with one. No goalie should be picked in the 1-2 rounds. Look back at all the "sure thing" goalies picked in the first half of the drafts but amounted to nothing. Every year we're told about some "Next One" kid and the can't miss bona fide #1 goalies.

Check out our PHX/AZ goalie draft pick history:
http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/draftstats.htm?year=All&round=All&team=PHX&position=G&supl=N

Our previous 2007 6th round goalie pick that was never qualified and kicked off the college team due to attitude/alcohol issues just got his name on the Cup with Chicago.- Scott Darling

Just sign/trade for goalies after they've proven they belong on a plane and not the bus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad