Korea 2018

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Convert more Canadians?? There aren't any Korean Canadians in the NHL AFAIK. The last Korean I know of was Jim Paek and I think he was Korean American. Where are these Korean Canadians you speak of??

He means Brock Radunske and the sort, guys that have played long enough in Korea (and since they're playing for money, it counts as work), that they can get citizenship and become Korean citizens. Since they're good enough to play major junior in Canada but not good enough to have ruined their international eligibility by playing FOR Canada, they can then be leaders on the Korean team.

Paek's Canadian and American I think, but if you mean heritage-wise, Richard Park is the most recent (and best) Korean player in the NHL.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
LOL..a bunch of white guys playing for Korea?? I don't even think Korean fans would go for that.

One thing about the Orient is they are quite ethnocentric. That's why you don't see many foreigners living in Japan, China, or Korea. Not many compared to western nations anyway.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
It would be fun to watch Korea though. You never know, if they would manage to play well defensively they might aviod to lose too badly.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
One issue Korea might have with heavy reliance on imports (outside of the many more documented and discussed ideas) is that Korea really is very homogenous. I wouldn't say it was racist, or unwelcoming, but Korea has A LOT of national pride. Being Korea, or something that is Korean is very important here. Unlike anything i've really been accustomed to before.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
LOL..a bunch of white guys playing for Korea?? I don't even think Korean fans would go for that.

One thing about the Orient is they are quite ethnocentric. That's why you don't see many foreigners living in Japan, China, or Korea. Not many compared to western nations anyway.

From another thread:

Korea will begin their tough quest in their home tournament tonight against Hungary. Here's the roster;

Goaltenders

1 PARK Sungje R 173/5'8'' 82/181 3 Aug 1988 Daemyung Sangmu
30 SON Hoseung L 180/5'11'' 78/172 23 Nov 1982 Anyang Halla

Defenders

2 LEE Don Ku L 180/5'11'' 95/209 7 Feb 1988 Daemyung Sangmu
5 YOUNG Bryan William L 186/6'1'' 86/190 6 Aug 1986 High1 Chuncheon
7 KIM Wooyoung R 183/6'0'' 83/183 17 Jun 1988 Anyang Halla
11 CHANG Jun-Il R 182/6'0'' 85/187 14 Jun 1985 High1 Chuncheon
14 KIM Yoonhwan R 176/5'9'' 85/187 24 Aug 1985 Daemyung Sangmu
17 OH Hyonho R 176/5'9'' 76/168 29 Oct 1986 Daemyung Sangmu
26 KIM Donghwan R 176/5'9'' 80/176 14 Feb 1984 High1 Chuncheon
27 KIM Hyunsoo L 178/5'10'' 80/176 9 Dec 1984 Daemyung Sangmu

Forwards

6 AHN Hyunmin R 176/5'9'' 77/170 27 Sep 1986 Daemyung Sangmu
8 KIM Won Jung R 180/5'11'' 83/183 18 Dec 1984 Daemyung Sangmu
9 PARK Woosang R 192/6'4'' 88/194 30 May 1985 Daemyung Sangmu
12 SHIN Sanghoon R 170/5'7'' 74/163 1 Aug 1993 Kiekko-Vantaa
13 KIM Hyung Joon L 172/5'8'' 69/152 27 Apr 1987 High1 Chuncheon
15 LEE Yongjun R 178/5'10'' 80/176 4 Feb 1985 Daemyung Sangmu
16 KIM Sangwook L 180/5'11'' 85/187 21 Apr 1988 Anyang Halla
18 CHO Minho R 175/5'9'' 83/183 4 Jan 1987 Daemyung Sangmu
19 KIM Kisung L 178/5'10'' 83/183 14 May 1985 Daemyung Sangmu
22 LEE Young Jun R 184/6'0'' 75/165 3 Jan 1991 Anyang Halla
23 SWIFT Michael Owen L 176/5'9'' 79/174 26 Mar 1987 High1 Chuncheon
25 RADUNSKE Brock L 196/6'5'' 95/209 5 Apr 1983 Anyang Halla

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
One issue Korea might have with heavy reliance on imports (outside of the many more documented and discussed ideas) is that Korea really is very homogenous. I wouldn't say it was racist, or unwelcoming, but Korea has A LOT of national pride. Being Korea, or something that is Korean is very important here. Unlike anything i've really been accustomed to before.

Yeah is there like two families in 'she whole of Korea...

KIM and LEE :laugh:

I might have heard somewhere that Koreans doesn't have the same surname tradition as westerners, that's why all the "KIMs". Could be wrong though, just guessing.

Anyhow, couldn't care less how much or little national pride the Koreans have. The wont stand a chance in an Olympic tournament with or without NHL'ers.

Last edited:

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
You guys know about Hines Ward right? He's the half black/half Korean NFL player for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Back when they won the Super Bowl Ward went to Korea and they interviewed the locals there. A Korean journalist said there is basically only one race in Korea and many Koreans are not exactly thrilled about other races Iin Korea.

I have heard and read how the Orient especially China, Japan, and Korea are among the most racist places on earth. I have not been there but met many Orientals here and they have all been
very nice for the most part. So it is rather ironic they are supposedly racist yet very nice here in America. The Japanese I've met are the nicest.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
He means Brock Radunske and the sort, guys that have played long enough in Korea (and since they're playing for money, it counts as work), that they can get citizenship and become Korean citizens. Since they're good enough to play major junior in Canada but not good enough to have ruined their international eligibility by playing FOR Canada, they can then be leaders on the Korean team.
Playing for Canada would not have ruined their international eligibility anyway.

baronsforever

May 20, 2014
they will absolutely not be in the olympics, what a nonsense discussion. there is no rule that the host qualifies (greek field hockey tested it in court). The IIHF has stated that Korea has to qualify their way in, and they are an extreme longshot. they would have to win through two rounds, and no nation has done that in three years of open qualifying.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
they will absolutely not be in the olympics, what a nonsense discussion. there is no rule that the host qualifies (greek field hockey tested it in court). The IIHF has stated that Korea has to qualify their way in, and they are an extreme longshot. they would have to win through two rounds, and no nation has done that in three years of open qualifying.

In Nagano in 98 the IIHF said Japan needed to be in the top 21 or 24 to participate. I forget the exact ranking but they said host nations must reach a certain ranking and Japan did. However you are probably right that Korea can't get that high so soon.

IIHFjerseycollector

Feb 2, 2005
Sturgis SD
In Nagano in 98 the IIHF said Japan needed to be in the top 21 or 24 to participate. I forget the exact ranking but they said host nations must reach a certain ranking and Japan did. However you are probably right that Korea can't get that high so soon.

never heard this, source?

The iihf created the asian qualification tournament to encourage the teams to steup up their play, but Japan won it everytime

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
I read this a few years ago but never saved the page. It basically said for ANY team to make the Olympics in ice hockey the IIHF mandated that they must achieve a certain ranking. I just don't recall exactly what that ranking is. I think it's between 18 and 24 or so.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Yeah is there like two families in 'she whole of Korea...

KIM and LEE :laugh:

I might have heard somewhere that Koreans doesn't have the same surname tradition as westerners, that's why all the "KIMs". Could be wrong though, just guessing.

Anyhow, couldn't care less how much or little national pride the Koreans have. The wont stand a chance in an Olympic tournament with or without NHL'ers.

It's complicated. There are numerous other names , but Lee for instance is sometimes pronounced EE in some names. My girlfriend tries to explain to me the differences in Korean names, but i quickly lose interest.

When my new co-worker arrived and called Mr Park (my theory is, all koreans are named after where they are made) Mr Pak ... i knew she was in trouble.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
You guys know about Hines Ward right? He's the half black/half Korean NFL player for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Back when they won the Super Bowl Ward went to Korea and they interviewed the locals there. A Korean journalist said there is basically only one race in Korea and many Koreans are not exactly thrilled about other races Iin Korea.

I have heard and read how the Orient especially China, Japan, and Korea are among the most racist places on earth. I have not been there but met many Orientals here and they have all been
very nice for the most part. So it is rather ironic they are supposedly racist yet very nice here in America. The Japanese I've met are the nicest.

This is a little stupid. People aren't racist because of their skin colour, it's because of an environment/any number of reasons.

Korea is one of the most homogenous countries in the world. It's not a diverse place (in any aspect of society actually). I won't get into Korean culture (being a Korean living in Korea with no way out is really a scary thought to me), but it's a very proud country and it's not progressive. Few and far minorities who really have limited options in settling down in Korea. Korea isn't really openly racist, it's just a very isolated and conservative country that doens't really want any significant change.

Hockey wise, it's almost non existant here. Incheon-Seoul hub (majority of the population) hockey is barely on the radar. I would imagine hockey is also very expensive, nevermind the social barriers. Studying is paramount here. You have school and then you have music, sports, math, science and English academies after. It's very common to see 13 or 14 yr olds in school uniform at 11PM. Parents send their children to private academies regardless of whether it helps them ; they should be studying. It's fairly common for middle/high school students to study on Saturday and sunday in school too. There just isn't time for sports and if there is, it's a popular sport.

baronsforever

May 20, 2014
I saw this about 2 to 3 years ago but I'm sure the rule was in effect in 1998. You can't be ranked #50 and make the Olympics.

There wasn't a ranking system yet for 1998, it began in 2003. It was the policy of the IIHF to allow the host entry until after 2006 when they viewed the Italian women's play as too poor. Since then they have stated that they will evaluate the host on a case by case basis, no rule per se exists (all their rules are available in detail online). When Korea won the right to host the Olympics the IIHF only stated in very vague terms their hope that Korean hockey would be included. The notion of being in the top 18 appears in several news stories last winter, but it is never definite. It appears somewhat disingenuous considering there was almost no mathmatical chance it could happen unless they meant placement and not IIHF ranking. This recent story tries to paint optimism for their chances to make it in qualifiers, but the reality is extremely remote http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/...]=9081&cHash=d1bb0444e2e9221b84e6bb85acf95ced

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
I agree their skill level just isn't there.

At least at the 2015 Worlds they'll play in Division I Group B. If Korea isn't good enough by 2018 would they let Japan take their place? LOL

baronsforever

May 20, 2014
It really is too bad that both of them would have to advance through two rounds of qualifying, which only the Slovakian women have done (2010). As far as points towards the 2018 qualifying Japan sits 21st, South Korea 23rd. `I guess it is possible that there could 4 qualifiers instead of 3 this time, which would save Japan a round but Korea would still be stuck. We should find out more this week from the congress, but they may not announce until January like last time around.

baronsforever

May 20, 2014
I meant the semi-annual IIHF congress, they meet every September. The big news will be where the Division 1A tournament is going to be played since Ukraine cannot do it now. They usually vote on amendments to their statutes and bylaws as well, which is currently out of date online.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
They never seem to bring it to North America. A few years ago Canada hosted the elite division right? That was the only exception. Has the USA ever had it at ANY level?

baronsforever

May 20, 2014
The 1962 championships were in Colorado, that is the only time. The Juniors were in Buffalo in 2011. It is pretty hard to sell a hockey championship during the playoffs, but the 2008 in Quebec and Halifax did okay. I have been at a couple of Women's World championships and they are a lot of fun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad