Korea 2018

Arrhizal

May 4, 2012
Slovenia
So they get a free pass to the Olympics which they do not deserve. They are not playing at the level that is required. And someone who took the long road of developing their own players gets shut out. God job IIHF.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Both korean national teams (men and women) get a spot at their home-olympics.

Can be read on iihf.com

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
So they get a free pass to the Olympics which they do not deserve. They are not playing at the level that is required. And someone who took the long road of developing their own players gets shut out. God job IIHF.

On the other hand, the Olympics are an expensive endeavor akin to throwing a giant party where the host should certainly get a chance to be there, especially in one of the biggest events. Can Korea beat any of the teams they're facing right now? No... but they have three years to get ready to try. I feel for a team that scrapes in on skill that is now missing out, but it's not like Korea is ranked 100th in the world. They were in the tier right below the top in the IIHF just a year ago.

baronsforever

May 20, 2014
I am shocked, after all the times the IIHF said they needed to be better, and just a week ago the Korean federation themselves believed they would have to play their way in. The Women's is even worse, they are so far off the competitive level of the teams there now, further away then the Italians were in 2006. And it is going to force a medal contender to qualify their way in: at least one of Switzerland, Finland, Sweden or Russia will have to play their way in now.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I find it fair that they get a free pass. Look at the FIFA World Cup, the host gets a free pass too. I also think it will better for the attendance!

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I don't know why everyone is hating on this move by IIHF. The Korean Hockey Federation is at least making the moves needed to help the sport grow. With sending players to other countries to learn and spending more on development they may see improvement in the future. If they are willing to help the sport grow let them have their chance. You can’t get a better chance to showcase hockey talent (doesn’t have to be Korean talent) to a non-traditional market. This may convince more kids to at least try hockey to see if it is the sport for them.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
I think in general the host country should be offered the opportunity to play. It's not like South Korea is Mongolia. I'm not sure where Greece ranked in field hockey standards, but ice hockey is one of the premiere events of the Winter Olympics; to exclude the hosts may have damaged the local interest towards the entire tournament.

It may not be as appealing to us as international viewers, but for the locals having the host compete is important. If Qatar is allowed to field a team in 2022...

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I don't know why everyone is hating on this move by IIHF.

The guy above against it is from Slovenia. We've got a pretty multicultural board here. If you're from a borderline hockey country that is on the cusp of making the Olympics, you wouldn't want to hear you're potentially losing out to South Korea because they're getting an automatic birth. I get that frustration and I think a lot of the people that are against it are in similar situations, cheering for teams like Germany, Italy or Austria. It's a vocal minority so you don't see the people who either mildly support or just don't care.

As I said above I'm ultimately for it, because it costs a lot to put on the Olympics and I think that gives them the right to participate. It also could be good for the sport. Korea likes sports (especially soccer) and it's nice to see our sport grow worldwide. They'll have to really focus to not get embarrassed and I think they'll make a strong attempt.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
I agree with all those points you guys make about the benefits of Korea playing.

But it defeats much of the purpose if they lose 10-0 or 12-0. Then they will be looked at as just a laughingstock and I am dubious as to how much that would do for Korean hockey! That is why there should be some minimum rank requirement like 20th or so.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I agree with all those points you guys make about the benefits of Korea playing.

But it defeats much of the purpose if they lose 10-0 or 12-0. Then they will be looked at as just a laughingstock and I am dubious as to how much that would do for Korean hockey! That is why there should be some minimum rank requirement like 20th or so.

I wonder if all teams agree not to be over me then 4-6 goals on them.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
I wonder if all teams agree not to be over me then 4-6 goals on them.

Not a bad idea but would all other teams agree?

This reminds me of the Japanese women's ice hockey team at the Nagano Olympics. Their goal was to simply SCORE and they acted like they won the Cup when they scored ONE goal! LOL

Could Korea score AT ALL in 2018?

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
Hosts get at least one automatic qualification into every discipline (or maybe even event) at the Olympics.

But what if they can't even play that sport? Let's just say hypothetically India got the winter olympics. Would India get to be in the ice hockey tourney? LOL

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Hosts get at least one automatic qualification into every discipline (or maybe even event) at the Olympics.

Not per default. It was IIHF (and not IOC's, although, who knows what went on behind the curtains) decision to let the Koreans play. And the south koreans DO have a active national team ranked at #23 in world at least, so I guess they could ice a team that isnt a total joke. It could have been worse. Like China.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden

Maybe they could keep the games close at least. In a way they can play relaxed, if they could managed to almost get a point it will be a success for them.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
But what if they can't even play that sport? Let's just say hypothetically India got the winter olympics. Would India get to be in the ice hockey tourney? LOL

India would never get the Winter Olympics due to climate, but it'd be funny to see what would happen if they got the Summer Olympics and had to put a basketball and soccer/football team on the field. It'd be 180-20 for the USA and 18-0 for Germany if they played.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

Well then it is a good chance to grow the sport. It isn't like people look at the Jamaican bobsled team as a regrettable olympic moment.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
the points for Olympics 2018 will be calculated with the points of:
OG14(25%); WC14(25%); WC15(50%); WC16(75%) and WC17(100%)

the only points which already count are the result of 2014 OGQ. that mean:
13th: Kazakhstan -220
14th: Belarus - 215
15th: Germany - 210
16th: Italy - 205
17th: France - 200
18th: Denmark - 195
19th: UK - 190
20th: Netherlands - 185
21st: Ukraine - 180
22nd: Hungary - 175
23rd: Poland - 170
24th: Korea - 165
25th: Japan - 160

but is there any official source about this Top-18 rule? A tournament without the host is a bit strange for me.

Does China have a team? Oops I see they do.

Last edited:

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
ZURICH/SEOUL – Two North American-born ice hockey players have obtained Korean citizenship according to new naturalization legislation for outstanding athletes by the Republic of Korea, the Ministry of Justice announced. Mike Testwuide may play in the upcoming 2015 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division I Group B in Eindhoven, Netherlands. Caroline Park, a Canadian born in Brampton, Ontario of Korean heritage, also obtained Korean citizenship.

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/...]=9495&cHash=2d5161aeaaaa767e6e55886713187958

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad