Korea 2018

pled

Sep 7, 2009
it's kinda great that they managed to qualify for WC the same year they host the Olympic so that they aren't just in the Olympic as host team but as top team of 2018 and that's with 2 of their regular (Testwuide and Radunske) on injury.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
That was before it started raining South Korean passports in Canada.

They have not used very many Canadians on their rosters.

2017 (Promotion to WC) (18th Overall Finish)
G Matt Dalton
RD Alex Plante (I grew up playing against this idiot goon, I was a better player than him)
LD Bryan Young
LW Michael Swift

2016 (Failed to get promoted) (21st Overall Finish)
G Matt Dalton
RD Eric Regan
LD Bryan Young
LW Brock Radunske
C Michael Swift
RW Mike Teswuide

2015 (Promoted to Div 1A) (23rd Overall Finish)
LW Brock Radunske
C Michael Swift
RW Mike Teswuide

2014 (Demoted to Div 1B) (22nd Overall Finish)
LD Bryan Young
LW Brock Radunske
C Michael Swift

2013 (21st Overall Finish)
LW Brick Radunske

2012 (23rd Overall Finish)

2011 (22nd Overall Finish)

I honestly don't see much of a correction between adding Canadian/Americans and getting further on. One or two adds have helped the team, but when they've added many of them they haven't succeeded. Most of it is from internal development.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
In 2014 (with 3 North American players), they lose to Hungary, Slovenia, Austria, Japan, Ukraine (the games weren't close).
In 2017 (with 4 North American players), they lose to Austria, and beat Poland, Kazakhstan, Hungary, Ukraine.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
That was before it started raining South Korean passports in Canada.

For a lot of people going back and playing for Korea is the only hope to ever play in the Olympics or really at a high level event. If I was good enough to play juniors I would have seriously considered moving back, training, and trying to make the Olympic team.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
As I see it, players with roots in the country and those that have played there long enough to become naturalized citizens similar to any other immigrant are just fine. We've seen that a lot in Europe too especially back in the day. Italy, Great Britain, many others have been really relying on it at times. But Korea and a few other countries have went further and started to give passports to players that neither have any roots there nor would normally be qualified to get one. What this can potentially lead to we have seen in handball, in which Qatar made it to the World Championship final only thanks to a team consisting almost entirely of foreign star players. Even their fans they hired from Spain.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
As I see it, players with roots in the country and those that have played there long enough to become naturalized citizens similar to any other immigrant are just fine. We've seen that a lot in Europe too especially back in the day. Italy, Great Britain, many others have been really relying on it at times. But Korea and a few other countries have went further and started to give passports to players that neither have any roots there nor would normally be qualified to get one. What this can potentially lead to we have seen in handball, in which Qatar made it to the World Championship final only thanks to a team consisting almost entirely of foreign star players. Even their fans they hired from Spain.

Wouldn't surprise me if we some real kickback against team naturalizing athletes after the WC in Qatar where they're going to line up their all-11 foreign mercenary squad.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
I watched last years world championships and was surprised at the skill level of South Korea’s domestic players.

Have any South Koreans been Drafted?

Apparently the North Korean Men’s national team has a few players that would be top six players on the S.Korean team.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I missed Regan. Still it's only 3-5 players they've used, this quite far from Qatar Handball thing. This has been standard procedure for 16-25 ranked teams for a long time (in fact there were more "canadians" on Italy in 2006 than will be on South Korea this year).

I watched last years world championships and was surprised at the skill level of South Korea’s domestic players.

Have any South Koreans been Drafted?

Apparently the North Korean Men’s national team has a few players that would be top six players on the S.Korean team.

I doubt it. The North Korean team is pure trash, they've struggled in Div 2B (avoided relegation by the skin of their teeth). They haven't finished above 34th since 1993. The South Koreans haven't finished below 33rd ever. The South Korean team has been promoted to WC for next year, even before using internationals they were at very least a borderline 1A/1B team. I don't think they'd have much to offer the South Korean side.

You might be thinking of the women's team?

Last edited:

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
It would be interesting if Pyongyang gets a team in the Asia Super League

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I missed Regan. Still it's only 3-5 players they've used, this quite far from Qatar Handball thing. This has been standard procedure for 16-25 ranked teams for a long time (in fact there were more "canadians" on Italy in 2006 than will be on South Korea this year).
This is true in the past but it's generally something programs are trying to phase out and have been phasing out for the past decade and a half.. So South Korea has become one of the last propagators, along with Belarus and Kazakhstan, of the practice.

sytheman

Mar 8, 2017
Seoul, Korea
Richard Park was the second Korean-born NHLer, known for his famous game winning goal against Pat Roy of then-defensing West Conf. Champion Colorado Avalanche in the 2003 NHL playoff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad