Korbinian Holzer

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
After invested so many years in him, its plain stupid to trade him for a 6th/7th rounder (or let him walk away for free).

Damn right. He is playing really good. Reached his development goal and is pretty reliable actually. He has some jam too. I wouldn't think they should even consider trading him.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don't know, but I feel much more comfortable watching Gardiner with Korbinian on his side. But could be me paying special attention to our German Leaf :)

No its not just you. He shows consistency and snarl. This guy has been a quiet,cool and professional character guy for years with no attitude who worked hard to get where he is. Fully respect how hard he worked to get there. He deserves a contract.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I think he is playing exactly how you would want a bottom pair defensemen to play like.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
He's finally arrived. Hopefully he likes it here enough to want to stay and resign. He's a fantastic bottom pairing dman. He can actually skate and handle the puck now.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
He's finally arrived. Hopefully he likes it here enough to want to stay and resign. He's a fantastic bottom pairing dman. He can actually skate and handle the puck now.

I agree. He looks like he really put a lot of work in last year, and has some confidence in his game. Last time he was up here he looked nervous

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I think he is playing exactly how you would want a bottom pair defensemen to play like.

Right you are bud. He isn't super talented we all know that. He is way more talented than when we first used him. A good 6 - 7 all the way now. He doesn't care who he crunches either,I like that snarl. He always played a bit cranky. I like him.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
Don't see what you guys like about him. Always running around in the neutral zone chasing hits, terrible passing ability, loses his man near the boards when they stop quickly...
Makes us defend more than we should.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Don't see what you guys like about him. Always running around in the neutral zone chasing hits, terrible passing ability, loses his man near the boards when they stop quickly...

Sums it up nicely.

People let hard-hitting and physicality cloud their view of a defensemen. Polak has escaped a lot of criticism this year for that reason exactly.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
Sums it up nicely.

People let hard-hitting and physicality cloud their view of a defensemen. Polak has escaped a lot of criticism this year for that reason exactly.

I notice this a lot with 95% of the posters. They remember emotionally charged play like hitting, breaking up 2on1, preventing goals more than small plays like a good 1st pass, good board play, blocking zone entries.
Which is why many pile on Kadri, Gardiner and Franson because they let in goals (emotionally charged event) but they do all lot of these small plays (4-foot passes, zone entries) that wins us games.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I notice this a lot with 95% of the posters. They remember emotionally charged play like hitting, breaking up 2on1, preventing goals more than small plays like a good 1st pass, good board play, blocking zone entries.
Which is why many pile on Kadri, Gardiner and Franson because they let in goals (emotionally charged event) but they do all lot of these small plays (4-foot passes, zone entries) that wins us games.

Could not agree more. All people see sometimes is the big hit - they ignore their play for the rest of the game.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
He hasn't been bad. Definitely a serviceable #5/6 guy. Could be a solid 6/7 guy on a contender.

Can see a team trying to scoop him up for a C level spect

Maybe Holzer for Christian Thomas

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

What the hell do you want from bottom pair Dmen?

Polak and Holzer have been serviceable bottom pairing Dmen who should be playing against other teams 3rd/4th lines

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
What the hell do you want from bottom pair Dmen?

Polak and Holzer have been serviceable bottom pairing Dmen who should be playing against other teams 3rd/4th lines

I didn't understand the love for these players when they are a detriment to the team. Look at teams like LA, CHI, DET where even bottom pairing defensemen can actually pass the puck.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I didn't understand the love for these players when they are a detriment to the team. Look at teams like LA, CHI, DET where even bottom pairing defensemen can actually pass the puck.

They can all pass the puck, they just do not generate offence. I think you are confused with carrying the puck which not all defenders do but you can only have so many of that type on your blue line unless you have 6 Doughty clones playing for you.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
They can all pass the puck, they just do not generate offence. I think you are confused with carrying the puck which not all defenders do but you can only have so many of that type on your blue line unless you have 6 Doughty clones playing for you.

No, I know what a pass is.

I have seen plenty of icings on his stick and passing to pressured players which turnover the puck. I don't care if you can't skate the puck out of the zone, the least you can do is relieve the pressure by good passing. He lacks these attributes.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Sums it up nicely.

This is accurate. Polak has been a disappointment - but I would not say the same of Holzer nor does he do the things you are seeing in Polak.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We groomed this guy for nine years. Not a good policy to dump him when he has finally arrived.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We groomed this guy for nine years. Not a good policy to dump him when he has finally arrived.

Agreed.

Also Leafs coaches are not known for their player development skills and that is an issue.

I remember a few years back Holzer is deemed ready for promotion from the AHL and suddenly he is paired with Phaneuf on the top pairing and way over his head to begin his NHL career.

Instead of sheltering him or any young player and putting them in a position to succeed they are put in situations to fail. Holzer struggled going from AHL to top pairing NHL and then wasn't seen for a few years.

Now he has come in as a depth 3rd pairing guy and seems to be playing his part well and for < $1 mil is great cap management and a self drafted and developed success story for a former 4th round pick.

We are hoping Leafs produce more players like Holzer from their own mid to late round selections.

leafobserver

Feb 23, 2007
Keep him, play him, give him a 2yr extension at 900K per. Being able to have a serviceable 5-7 Dman is invaluable.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
We have to sign him this week or trade him....he will get a contract from someone else as a UFA this summer and that is poor asset management.

If he will take a 2 year $925,000 per then we sign him....if not see you later and we ship him off for what we can get for him at the trade deadline. We have many players in our system to take his place. @$925,000 he does not take up cap space if he is in the AHL. A one way deal....so he makes $925,000 in the AHL.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Agreed.

Also Leafs coaches are not known for their player development skills and that is an issue.

I remember a few years back Holzer is deemed ready for promotion from the AHL and suddenly he is paired with Phaneuf on the top pairing and way over his head to begin his NHL career.

Instead of sheltering him or any young player and putting them in a position to succeed they are put in situations to fail. Holzer struggled going from AHL to top pairing NHL and then wasn't seen for a few years.

Now he has come in as a depth 3rd pairing guy and seems to be playing his part well and for < $1 mil is great cap management and a self drafted and developed success story for a former 4th round pick.

We are hoping Leafs produce more players like Holzer from their own mid to late round selections.

In a lot of cases, playing a young defenseman with the best defenseman on your team for short spells is a way to actually shelter the young player, mentor them and stabilize their game. Boston would routinely play Hamilton and Krug with Chara.

Of course, the real problem is that Phaneuf can't even defend for himself, let alone help out a rookie. That is really the crux of the problem with the Leafs. Kessel and Phaneuf are entrusted with the franchise cornerstone tags and those guys are just "the wrong stuff."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad