Korbinian Holzer

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Thoughts on how he has played this season? I am really impressed with his play and he has done a very solid job filling in for Polak.

He's also been really good on the PK and was the only one to stand up to that piece of **** Burrows after he snow showered Bernier :yo:

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
He is playing well. I'm pretty sure he will be staying up with the team for the rest of the season. I think if we tried to send him down a team would pick him up. I feel like we will be trading a D before the season is up.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
he's good. physical, mobile, and good enough with the puck for a bottom pair guy. and at times he looks like he has more than bottom pair upside still. he's made a few heady plays against tricky fakes that most of our dmen usually bite on.

wish the leafs had more faith in their kids to play bottom line minutes the past few years. would have saved us a ton of cap headache.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He's done an admirable job filling in for Polak .. Brings that tough, rugged defensive style with less mobility .. Glad to see he's done well so far - looking like a solid bottom pairing defenseman

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Looks great. Honestly no complaints from me. Doing everything he is asked to as a bottom pairing D

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Really like this guy.

Not the toughest guy but you can count on him being in every scrum and standing up for team mates even though he most likely will get his ass kicked.

Interested to see what will happen when Polak is back.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Really like this guy.

Not the toughest guy but you can count on him being in every scrum and standing up for team mates even though he most likely will get his ass kicked.

Interested to see what will happen when Polak is back.

IMO that is what tough is. Show up.
Whether you win or lose it has nothing to do with toughness. Maybe the other dude is just stronger.
Perfect 7D. Nobody will freak if he sits for a few games but will be ready to fill in as required.
Welcome to the NHL Mr Holzer!

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
He had a couple bumps in the road in his first stint with the Leafs being called up and down. Think he's learned a lot from his previous chances and looks like he's not messing around anymore. He seems like a more agressive Granberg but maybe less mobile, still like him on the bottom pairing so far.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
He's decent. He's never actually been bad other than when they forced him to play on the to pairing a few years ago. Leafs management has really liked him even since Burke was the GM.

Tyler Biggs*

Hope Holzers attitude spreads. One other defencemen would have done it and he's out with an injury.

That's a good penalty to take. The spray was intentional. Knock him on his arse so he'll think twice about doing it again.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I like his play. I actually liked him last season as well even do it did not really work out for him. But the whole team played terrible then, now they play better and that makes it easier to slide in so smoothly as he has done.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
He's been a good foot soldier this call up. I think he can be serviceable if they don't try to overextend him like last time he had a run with the Leafs.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
He is what we always thought he is -- a 6-8 guy who can play minutes in the NHL.

Issue was last year we had basically no injuries to defence man. The year before he played on the top pairing. Now he is realistically where he should be.

Good for him. Not sure how many NHL games he will end up with, but they will all be 100% deserved. Kid has been with us for a long time, hasnt bolted to the KHL or Europe, and has shown leadership with the Marlies

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
I've never truly understood why he was sent back down. It was clear he could not play on the 1st pairing - but that doesn't mean he isn't capable or serviceable as a 5-7. We've mismanaged him these past 2 years imo.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He is what we always thought he is -- a 6-8 guy who can play minutes in the NHL.

Issue was last year we had basically no injuries to defence man. The year before he played on the top pairing. Now he is realistically where he should be.

Good for him. Not sure how many NHL games he will end up with, but they will all be 100% deserved. Kid has been with us for a long time, hasnt bolted to the KHL or Europe, and has shown leadership with the Marlies
I think ideally he's your #7 D. He won't play most games but he's a decent option on the third pairing and doesn't look overmatched in that role. Id have no issues if he were signed cheap to a 2 year deal to fill that role.

ErikP803

Mar 29, 2010
I've never truly understood why he was sent back down. It was clear he could not play on the 1st pairing - but that doesn't mean he isn't capable or serviceable as a 5-7. We've mismanaged him these past 2 years imo.

Actually, I think his past 2 years on the Marlies have served him well. Gets PP time he wouldn't here, more minutes as well. Now he's actually able to get some shots on net consistently while providing the same dependable, gritty D-zone play. He just needs some boxing lessons and he'll do fine!

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

1 - The cap

2 - Contract / roster limits

3 - His own personal development.

4 - Didn't need to clear waivers.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
I'm really glad he's been given this opportunity and is doing well. I've always thought he was played above his means in his first stint with us (playing 1st pairing minutes and very tough competition) and that he could be a quality NHL player, at least in a #7 role. With his contract expiring at the end of the year and an underwhelming first look in the NHL, I was worried we were going to let him go and he might have trouble finding a contract in North America. He seems like a good guy and it would be a shame for a talented player to be denied a second shot at an NHL career.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
1 - The cap

2 - Contract / roster limits

3 - His own personal development.

4 - Didn't need to clear waivers.

5 - mike komisarek

6 - mark fraser

7 - paul ranger

8 - tim gleason

9 - ryan o'byrne

10 - luke schenn

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Agreed. he doesn't work out on the first line, but they re-sign him and then he doesn't get into a game.....at all.
So instead of seeing what they have in him, they go sign someone like Robidas.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
5 - mike komisarek

6 - mark fraser

7 - paul ranger

8 - tim gleason

9 - ryan o'byrne

10 - luke schenn

I never understood the trade for O'Byrne, it's not like he was much of an upgrade on Holzer, and it cost a draft pick to get him, only to have him playing ~15mins a game in the playoffs before walking as a UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad