Confirmed with Link: Kontiola signs 1 year deal with Leaf @ ($1.1 mil AAV) - #Embrace the Petri !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
There's nothing more irritating than people that think Kontiola is magically going to push out Kadri and Bozak when 3 days ago they had no idea who he was.

So irritating, no room for optimism here.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
That's what some of the Finnish posters are saying.
In theory he should, Kontiola is a possession-driving forward. He's a strong stickhandler and prototypical playmaker. On the other hand, Bozak is centring a top line that scores on the rush. We'll need a line that can play a more involved game in the offensive zone and a Lupul-Kontiola pair would do it.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
What might more interesting is that Kontiola after buying out his own KHL contract for $600k signed on for only $1.1 mil.

Was that the best NHL offer he had?

Petri is actually going to only make $500k net this year if you subtract the difference of his own buyout = less then league minimum of $550k.

So based on his signing numbers top 6 results are not expected, but sure would be a pleasant surprise if it happened. It has to happen in order for Kontiola to make > Komarov > $3 mil on his contract to fulfill your prediction.

I think it's a great sign, it shows he's in it to play, not for the payday. At least not yet.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
When has Bozak ever been able to play a full 82 game season? 2010?

I just don't understand how some of you think a guy whose never been able to score over 50 points in his entire pro life, with only one playoff appearance in five years, is considered a first line centre...

Bozak's career Points per season average is better than JVR or Grabovski's or Kontiola's. Thought I would let you know this. 51 per season in almost a 300 game sample. 1 point over your magical mark of 50.

TMLFAN4LIFE

Dec 11, 2006
Bozak's career Points per season average is better than JVR or Grabovski's or Kontiola's. Thought I would let you know this. 51 per season in almost a 300 game sample. 1 point over your magical mark of 50.

I really don't care for averages I'm just interested in single season totals. Bozak is a career -39 as a Leaf, that should tell you something. (Kessel is a -45 !!)

Just going based on this points per season rationale, Nick Bonino's career points per season average is better than all these players... Is he better than JVR and Bozak too? Kadri has a higher career points per season average than Bozak also, Kadri must be our first line centre if we're going by averages (at least he actually did touch 50 points), and we all know Kadri's never had much success on our top line.

Last edited:

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
People need to ease up their expectations on Kontiola, No one, not even top 5 picks enter into the NHL and immediately take over the IC, 2C role. At most he can be a decent Bolland replacement with timely points and good defensively, but even that's a stretch.

As for Bozak he's a 50 point guy for a price of 4.2 M, not much you can complain about.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
People need to ease up their expectations on Kontiola, No one, not even top 5 picks enter into the NHL and immediately take over the IC, 2C role. At most he can be a decent Bolland replacement with timely points and good defensively, but even that's a stretch..

Kontiola is no spring chicken though he will turn 30 by the start of the season.

Lots of hockey experience just not NHL experience so it makes it an interesting and unpredictable outcome right now.

Going to be fun to watch how this turns out.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I really don't care for averages I'm just interested in single season totals. Bozak is a career -39 as a Leaf, that should tell you something. (Kessel is a -45 !!)

Just going based on this points per season rationale, Nick Bonino's career points per season average is better than all these players... Is he better than JVR and Bozak too? Kadri has a higher career points per season average than Bozak also, Kadri must be our first line centre if we're going by averages (at least he actually did touch 50 points), and we all know Kadri's never had much success on our top line.

Wouldn't having Kessel as his primary linemate plus the fact that he's played on some poor defensive teams be a reason for the -39? Mike Peca and Rod Brind'Amour are some of the greatest defensive forwards to lace them up but they've had seasons with (-).

It would be downright impossible to find a player that consistently puts up pluses while also playing on a bottom feeding team, on a line with defensively-deficient wingers running a counter-attacking style of play. Once Kessel can be put in a position where he doesn't have to "take a hit to make the play" you'll see Bozak's +/- improve.

(Still doesn't excuse playing him on the PP)

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Kontiola and Komarov in the full Olympic Bronze medal game against USA (Kessel and JVR)

Kontiola (27) plays some second unit PP, plays a simple game with some nice vision and passing. He doesn't stand out though, you have to watch him and see his nice simple plays.

http://youtu.be/0IXLvVMi0X8

Tyler Biggs*

It's good that 3rd & 4th liners are paid this way, Leafs are better, more heart and better checking IMO..that being said, I still think there is a real opportunity for the Leafs, that the Leafs have created for themselves with these signings, to ultimately address the missing #1 centre.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Kontiola and Komarov in the full Olympic Bronze medal game against USA (Kessel and JVR)

Kontiola (27) plays some second unit PP, plays a simple game with some nice vision and passing. He doesn't stand out though, you have to watch him and see his nice simple plays.

Only superstars stand out at that level of competition. We are getting a star player who is neat and tidy. Star is not elite it's probable top 6, 50pt type. He will probably be 3c and that line will most likely be 3rd off. Line.

Our shutdown is the 4th who will see minutes finally.

HonestHockey*

From that I can see his positional play is outstanding. Carlyle will love his simple smart game and reliability.

Finally someone that can support Bozak and take some heat off of him having to play such high QoC

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
From that I can see his positional play is outstanding. Carlyle will love his simple smart game and reliability.

That is typical of top end Fin talent. You get neat and tidy positionally sound hockey players with offensive upside with the occasional superstar out of their system.

Half jokingly, I would make my dream teams bottom 6 out of Fin Olympians and be very confident, just transplant them in. Love Fin hockey development.

HonestHockey*

That is typical of top end Fin talent. You get neat and tidy positionally sound hockey players with offensive upside with the occasional superstar out of their system.

Half jokingly, I would make my dream teams bottom 6 out of Fin Olympians and be very confident, just transplant them in. Love Fin hockey development.

True. The greatest Fin of all time Teemu was solid all over the ice. Very sound hockey systems.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
True. The greatest Fin of all time Teemu was solid all over the ice. Very sound hockey systems.
Actually almost all of the biggest star players from Finland have been very different in terms of style than the prototypical Finn.

Teemu, Jari, Esa... all very different than the typical Finn.

Saku Koivu is actually the closest one of the typical Finnish player if you think about their biggest name players. Barkov will be the next one - always plays D first and really understands the systems etc.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Kontiola is more straightforward and therefore more effective, at least on NT. There's not much difference between the two, but Kontiola is more reliable and better. Lehterä has a little bit better hands, but Kontiola's hockey IQ is slightly better.

Nope. Lehtera's hockey sense is simply better, it is as good as it gets. Lehtera is objectively the "better player" - if he just gets it going... Kontiola is no slouch though, and more reliabale.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
So irritating, no room for optimism here.

The loser mentality among the majority of "fans" is definitely bleeding into the room. It's pathetic to see people whine that the team needs to present more effort and positive results; when they're in the stands sitting on their hands and mummering their usual "woe is us" pathetic mentality.

No one is forcing anyone to follow this team; but it would be a hell of a lot easier to do it without feeling like we're surrounded by dolts who intentionally spend their time doing something they obviously find no pleasure in.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
you do know Tyler was 42nd in points among centreman last year, 125th overall in face-off % over the full season ....

what is it you don't get about mediocrity????!!!!

wow 125th in FO% I guess I should have checked that out, now that I know he stinks, we better lump him in with Malkin who was 124th or Getzlaf who finishes 3/10ths of a point higher or is more of a comparable to Sequins 46.1% a full 2.8% below Tylers

isn't FO% an average?

I believe PPG a better indicator of a players offensive prowess. Especially when you have a sample size, in Bozak's case, of almost 300 games, Worthy of mention that his PPG have been on the incline, so as far as his production being sustainable goes, I'm thinking it is. while it may have peaked theres nothing to say that he'll suddenly fall off the planet.

either way until someone proves different, Tyler is one of 30 #1's in the league

Tyler Biggs*

James Mirtle @mirtle:
Talked to several people about Kontiola in past few days. Not a checker, he's better suited to running a power play etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Petri is certainly not a checker nor defensive player.. However the Finns always play a strong team defensive game particularly internationally.

This actually the most interesting Leaf signing and gamble this summer.. He could be a breakout season and replace the 19 goals and 45 points lost to Raymond, or he could bust and struggle with the NHL game.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Petri is certainly not a checker nor defensive player.. However the Finns always play a strong team defensive game particularly internationally.

This actually the most interesting Leaf signing and gamble this summer.. He could be a breakout season and replace the 19 goals and 45 points lost to Raymond, or he could bust and struggle with the NHL game.

at the price we are paying him its not going to be a problem either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad