Confirmed with Link: Kontiola signs 1 year deal with Leaf @ ($1.1 mil AAV) - #Embrace the Petri !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yeah, that's the funny thing, that Komarov gets more than Kontiola. But that won't last long.

What might more interesting is that Kontiola after buying out his own KHL contract for $600k signed on for only $1.1 mil.

Was that the best NHL offer he had?

Petri is actually going to only make $500k net this year if you subtract the difference of his own buyout = less then league minimum of $550k.

So based on his signing numbers top 6 results are not expected, but sure would be a pleasant surprise if it happened. It has to happen in order for Kontiola to make > Komarov > $3 mil on his contract to fulfill your prediction.

TMLFAN4LIFE

Dec 11, 2006
you do know Tyler was 17th in PPG last year, 23rd in face-offs won and 28th in take-aways amongst the top 30 centres in the league and thats only over 52 games

what is it you don't get about Tyler being #1

you do know Tyler was 42nd in points among centreman last year, 125th overall in face-off % over the full season ....

what is it you don't get about mediocrity????!!!!

Last edited:

TMLFAN4LIFE

Dec 11, 2006
Being 42nd in points in a year where you miss a lot of games due to injury is not what I would call mediocre though.

It's not what you want from your top line centre if you have any intention on going far....

Also, being 125th in the NHL in face off % is alright with you for your #1 centre?

Lol stats with no context. Brutal

The entire season is the context. It's pretty obvious.

Last edited:

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Being 42nd in points in a year where you miss a lot of games due to injury is not what I would call mediocre though.

Correct, which is why his 0.85PPG display last year is not sustainable. Bozak's typical mediocore 40-45points a season will come again though, just like Kadri's 0.92PPG 2 seasons ago was not sustainable.

TMLFAN4LIFE

Dec 11, 2006
Bozak didn't play the entire season, he played 58 games.

When has Bozak ever been able to play a full 82 game season? 2010?

I just don't understand how some of you think a guy whose never been able to score over 50 points in his entire pro life, with only one playoff appearance in five years, is considered a first line centre...

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
When has Bozak ever been able to play a full 82 game season? 2010?

I just don't understand how some of you think a guy whose never been able to score over 50 points in his entire pro life, with only one playoff appearance in five years, is considered a first line centre...

I think you're interpreting it the wrong way. He's without a doubt not a 1st line center, but is on this team, and absolutely the best option there right now.

They were stating that Bozak is effective there, because people were suggestion Kontiola would bump him out of there, no?

TMLFAN4LIFE

Dec 11, 2006
I think you're interpreting it the wrong way. He's without a doubt not a 1st line center, but is on this team, and absolutely the best option there right now.

They were stating that Bozak is effective there, because people were suggestion Kontiola would bump him out of there, no?

I'm not saying Bozak's a terrible player, even though I do come off sounding like I hate the guy. He's good. But not great. And thats the difference, I want somebody great. I'm VERY frustrated that we still haven't been able to get a top flight centre to bump him down. Bozak is the best we have unfortunately.

There is NO chance Kontiola bumps him down, 0% chance.

HonestHockey*

I'm not saying Bozak's a terrible player, even though I do come off sounding like I hate the guy, I'm just VERY frustrated that we still haven't been able to get a top flight centre to bump him down. He is the best we have unfortunately. There is NO chance Kontiola bumps him down, 0% chance.

Correct and as the previous poster pointed out at this point his the best option. If Kessel and/or JVR weren't producing with him there then it would be a problem, however whom ever plays there has career years so Bozak is definitely not a problem. And there's no way at this point you can say anyone can continue to help keep Kessel producing.

roto

Oct 26, 2009
I'm looking forward to it as well. These Finn's sound they know what they're talking about. They don't sound at all like unrealistic homers - I would say that their stories have the "ring of truth".
It may well sound like homerism when a bunch of Finns come to this thread to hype a player 99% NA hockey fans have never heard of, but Europeans know other leagues (and players) than just NHL. One reason is WHC, where best euro players play with and against a lot of NHL players.

It's just a simple fact that Kontiola has been good in KHL and he's been very good in national team, and in those tournaments (including
Olympics) he's been one of the better player in those tournaments. He's very good on big ice. The question is whether he has problems translating his game to small ice.

He's not too small or weak, but he's used to keep the puck a lot and have time&space, so that's something he needs to get used to. When he was in NA last time he was good in AHL and not bad in NHL either (5 points in 12 games). Now he's a lot better.

I think it's unlikely that he's not worth of $1M. The main question is that is he a steal or not.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I'm not saying Bozak's a terrible player, even though I do come off sounding like I hate the guy. He's good. But not great. And thats the difference, I want somebody great. I'm VERY frustrated that we still haven't been able to get a top flight centre to bump him down. Bozak is the best we have unfortunately.

There is NO chance Kontiola bumps him down, 0% chance.

And you have seen Kontiola play for how long?

TMLFAN4LIFE

Dec 11, 2006
And you have seen Kontiola play for how long?

Not a single second. I watch NHL hockey, the only league that matters..not KHL.

He's 29 years old with only 12 games played in the NHL... Hellen Keller would be able to tell you there's a 0% chance Kontiola bumps Bozak.

I'm predicting this upcoming season will be my first and only year I ever do watch Wallin 2.0.

Tyler Biggs*

Good signing! Virtually zero risk and gives us some cheap depth down the middle.

:nod:

I feel like the new players are going to play with a serious chip on their shoulder to max their value next year (apart from Komarov who played great anyway). Not much to lose if you ask me!

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
He's 29 years old with only 12 games played in the NHL... Hellen Keller would be able to tell you there's a 0% chance Kontiola bumps Bozak.

I'm predicting this upcoming season will be my first and only year I ever do watch Wallin 2.0.

This guy has understood my meaning of "tempered expectations". Nice. No fear of getting disappointed. But I sure predict this dude is in for a surprise.

But on the other hand, those who think there is zero chance of Kontiola busting haven't watched enough NHL rookies. There's always a chance. Though without a doubt, on the big ice Kontiola is better than most finnish centers playing in the NHL.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
This guy has understood my meaning of "tempered expectations". Nice. No fear of getting disappointed. But I sure predict this dude is in for a surprise.
It's a good thing it's early July. Should the unthinkable come to pass, in about five months' time he can happily jump to the bandwagon and just pretend he never said that.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
After listening to the word that Risto Pakarinen had to say about the guy I would not be surprised if he did manage to challenge for top 6 minutes.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Dude I pray you're right.
That Kontiola will surprise you, or that no one will be back to call you out?

Basic understanding of simple math and statistics could save you the embarrassment. The preferred lineup of any given NHL team is 18+2, plus some reserves. When you tell that times 30, even with the reserves, you only get roughly 700 names.

That's actually not at all a great number when you consider how many hockey players there are overall. There's a pretty good chance that most of that 700 are also the best 700, but I'd say there's a far greater likelihood than 0% that not ALL of them are there. As a side note, said statistics also state pretty clearly that you're missing a whole lot of pretty entertaining hockey if you only watch the league "that matters".

TMLFAN4LIFE

Dec 11, 2006
That Kontiola will surprise you, or that no one will be back to call you out?

Basic understanding of simple math and statistics could save you the embarrassment. The preferred lineup of any given NHL team is 18+2, plus some reserves. When you tell that times 30, even with the reserves, you only get roughly 700 names.

That's actually not at all a great number when you consider how many hockey players there are overall. There's a pretty good chance that most of that 700 are also the best 700, but I'd say there's a far greater likelihood than 0% that not ALL of them are there. As a side note, said statistics also state pretty clearly that you're missing a whole lot of pretty entertaining hockey if you only watch the league "that matters".

I have no idea what point youre trying to get across here is, but, nice little blurb on the degree of difficulty (and stacked up odds) it takes to becoming an elite player in the NHL. Thanks for telling me something I didn't already know! In one years time I'm coming back to this tread mark my words. One of us is getting called out!

I pray Kontiola surprises me. I also pray that you call me out. But neither is going to happen my delusional KHL fan.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I pray Kontiola surprises me. I also pray that you call me out. But neither is going to happen my delusional KHL fan.
Classy. You could at least wait for Kontiola to bust before calling me names.

I predict no one's going to call you out, because you simply aren't worth it.

TMLFAN4LIFE

Dec 11, 2006
Classy. You could at least wait for Kontiola to bust before calling me names.

I predict no one's going to call you out, because you simply aren't worth it.

YET you still respond to me.... classic logic.

TMLFAN4LIFE

Dec 11, 2006
In five months' time. Should have been clear of the context.

In 5 months time Kontiola should have about a months worth of games as a Leaf under his belt, is that really enough games? Lets come back to this thread at the all star break... Wanna do an over/under on number of points or something? I'll let you set the lines. Loser has to change his username. Whatever possible lines you choose to set I'm taking the under on all of them lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2