Confirmed with Link: Kontiola signs 1 year deal with Leaf @ ($1.1 mil AAV) - #Embrace the Petri !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So some Fins here are suggesting this guy is better than Bozak... if thats the case.. what are the chances he usurps Bozak, and ends up being our #1 C? Perhaps we've found our #1 C guys (pleasepleaseplease)

How does he compare to someone like Filppula, to use a Finnish benchmark.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
How do people in other countries watch the NHL? I'd guess it's easier to get a hold of NHL games in Europe than other National league games in North America.
It's not too difficult. There is the online route and it's offered by local television providers as well. Pubs can also be found that play NHL games if one looks around as well.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Kontiola said in an interview on Finnish media a year or two ago that if he were to get another chance in NHL, he sure as hell would fight for his place a lot harder than the last time. Something which he hasn't forgiven himself. So you can be sure he's going to do his best to impress everyone.

That definitely sounds promising. I hope he does show it in the upcoming pre-season.

So some Fins here are suggesting this guy is better than Bozak... if thats the case.. what are the chances he usurps Bozak, and ends up being our #1 C? Perhaps we've found our #1 C guys (pleasepleaseplease)

If that was the case...oh man...the joy.. The pure joy.

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009

Safe to say a 29 year old khl player who couldn't crack a lineup years ago will not be better then any of bozak, kadri, Holland or Santa. Just using history and logic.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
I have to admit that he has managed to disappear out of the picture at the Worlds against the USA both last and this year and he was facing mostly 2nd to 4th liners or prospects. Lost battles for pucks much more than against other countries.

It does make me go hmm that he disappeared in the important games, and not even against particularly strong teams. That is why I think overall in WHC Lehterä>Kontiola, because Jori brought it when it really mattered. It's not that tough to look dominating against the 2nd tier countries on big ice.

I'm carefully optimistic Kontiola will have a decent year, but I would hesitate to claim he has it what it takes to take over a 2C spot in NHL, although Leaf's weakness in the the forward depth obviously makes it possible for him to get the spot his playing justifies. I'm going to guess he'll establish himself as a good 3C with decent enough points.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Safe to say a 29 year old khl player who couldn't crack a lineup years ago will not be better then any of bozak, kadri, Holland or Santa. Just using history and logic.

The guy was on the Finnish Olympic team, give him more credit than that.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
listening to these Fins makes me exited for this player, however we are right to be sceptical.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
My advice is to keep your expectations low, even to the point that there's a possibility of Kontiola showing he's incapable of playing in the NHL but don't bet your house on that. I wouldn't even bet my house on Kontiola getting under 60 points. He has biggest potential for surprise in all FA signings. I'd say of Komarov you can expect 15-40 points, of Kontiola anything from 15 all the way to 70 is possible. It all depends how he adjusts at this late age.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014

So a person, who couldnt crack loaded Chicago roster. Just couldnt become a better player? A player, who could have cracked other NHL teams rosters back then.

Unless you watched him play/Know something about him, please stop doing analysis of him.

Tyler Biggs*

The Leafs have enough skill for the top two lines and need to find some decent cheap 3rd and 4th line help.

This player fits the bill. Tough to play against, good defensively, and has some offensive upside.

This is a 4 line league now and the Leafs have to start rolling 4 lines or they will continue to lose.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
My advice is to keep your expectations low, even to the point that there's a possibility of Kontiola showing he's incapable of playing in the NHL but don't bet your house on that. I wouldn't even bet my house on Kontiola getting under 60 points. He has biggest potential for surprise in all FA signings. I'd say of Komarov you can expect 15-40 points, of Kontiola anything from 15 all the way to 70 is possible. It all depends how he adjusts at this late age.

We're thrilled to have Komarov back just from the energy he brings. When you have a guy who hits everything that moves like that it can really rally the troops.

Any production from him is just icing on the cake.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If he is indeed one of the best Finnish hockey players in the world, why was he only signed to a one year contract at 1.1 to play in the NHL? Something is not right with this picture is it?

Think of it like it's your friendly neighborhood pusher giving you the first sample for free. ;)

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Now did he play with miroslav innachek

Or rickard wallin or Jonas frogren

It is all Smoke and mirrors people. They do this every couple yrs.

Yes but he could be a Peter Ihnacak, Igor Korolev, type player too. Solid 2/3 centre with a good 2 way game. Love those guys.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

So what you're saying is one should "Curb their enthusiasm & temper their emotions".

If Kontiola comes in and pushes Kadri down to the 3rd spot then he will be one heck of a signing.

If Kontiola plays in the 3rd/4th line spot and adds some depth and a "Nothing venture & nothing gained" situatiion, but it was a low risk move worth the gamble.

The later option is far more probable an outcome, however low risk high reward is possible even if its not likely.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
So what you're saying is one should "Curb their enthusiasm & temper their emotions".
What comes to Kontiola seizing a top-six spot in the Leafs, that's certainly not a completely unfounded prediction. But not something one should shout from the rooftops. Any European team, that would be as much of a guarantee as you can have in sports. But the NHL is the NHL.

Still, part of sports is predicting outcomes. And you could certainly make far more unlikely predictions than him turning out to be a player on this level as well. On big ice, he can certainly compete with all the best, and even beat most of them. He's proven that.

What comes to people debuffing him because of his contract, let's keep a couple of things in mind...

1) Even a million bucks is a whole lot of money, especially to a regular Joe on the street. If I had half that much sitting on my account, I sure as heck wouldn't know what to do with it all.

2) This guy has been one of the highest-profile KHLers in existence, meaning he's already had a bunch of lavish paydays. He can certainly afford the reduction if that translates to a best possible start in a whole new environment. Sometimes people just do economically insensible things in order to chase a dream. Though at this case we have to talk relatively, since even a million is still more than enough not just for your daily bread, but for the butter, cheese and salami on top of it.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
komorov-legwand-kontiola 3rd line

frattin is not a 2nd line player, kadri needs a 20 plus goal scorer on his line RW:nod:

Form the board I'm a regular on:

Lost this one, but first full game Kadri/Frattin (Lupul injured to start the season) together on the same line:

http://mapleleafs.nh...p?id=2012020040

Frattin with a pair two games later:

http://mapleleafs.nh...p?id=2012020079

Frattin/Kadri again next game:

http://mapleleafs.nh...p?id=2012020093

Frattin/Kadri again two games later in 4-1 L:

http://mapleleafs.nh...p?id=2012020123

Frattin/Kadri again two games later:

http://mapleleafs.nh...p?id=2012020148

Komarov opens scoring and GWG against Habs (6-0):

http://mapleleafs.nh...p?id=2012020160

Frattin/Kadri & MacA/Kadri/Frattin next game:

http://mapleleafs.nh...p?id=2012020172

Then Frattin completely disappears unitl March 9th (injury?), assisting on a MacArthur goal, in a shootout L to Pens:

http://mapleleafs.nh...p?id=2012020359

March 16th, Lupul shows up on the scene and scores a pair with Kadri assisting on both:

http://mapleleafs.nh...p?id=2012020409

Then its all Lupul/Kadri from there on in. Nowhere (on the scoresheet) is there any record of Lupul-Kadri-Frattin having actually played together.

Kadri is the central figure here. Lit it up with Frattin in the beginning of the season, MacArthur in the middle and Lupul at the end.

So yeah, I'd like to see what happens when Lupul-Kadri-Frattin is actually teamed together. :yo:

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012

Just like it would be safe to say that a 31 year old who played in Finland because he could not crack an NHL lineup until he was 31 would go on to win two Vezinas, a Conn Smythe and a Jennings Trophy? (Tim Thomas says "hello".)

Or that a 26 year old who also played in Finland because he could not crack an NHL lineup, but then returned to become a top defenceman on three Stanley Cup winning teams? (Brian Rafalski says "hi".)

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario

If Kontiola comes in and pushes Kadri down to the 3rd spot then he will be one heck of a signing.

If Kontiola plays in the 3rd/4th line spot and adds some depth and a "Nothing venture & nothing gained" situatiion, but it was a low risk move worth the gamble.

The later option is far more probable an outcome, however low risk high reward is possible even if its not likely.

How about Kadri and Kontiola pushing Bozak down to third.

Seriously, the Leafs will NEVER be a contender with him centering the top line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad