Value of: Konecny to Vancouver

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Option 1 is a nonstarter.

Option 2 doesn't really fit our needs but is atleast a bit more in the ball park.

To Vancouver: Konecny
To Anaheim: Lekkerimaki (I know, it's even more hilarious), VAN 1st, PHI 1st, PHI 2nd
To Philly: Zegras
:cheers:
lol philly sending konecny a 1st and 2nd for zegras is an all-time worst trade proposal I've ever seen.

bleachdrinker

Sep 7, 2022
Philadelphia
Philly needs more high-end players (especially with Gauthier gone) so I'd think a complementary piece like Podkolzin isn't moving the needle much. Roster has plenty of secondary guys imo. Would Vancouver move on from Lekkerimäki or Willander?

Reactions: Devonator

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
You have to give up something valuable to get something valuable in return. Konecny would put us over the top and he’d be available for the following year as well. His salary cap also cancels perfectly with Kuzmenko’s. It’s a win-win for both sides.
I realize that I just think it's almost negligent to trade 4 assets for a winger. Let alone one being a high end prospect.

To Vancouver: Konecny
To Anaheim: Lekkerimaki (I know, it's even more hilarious), VAN 1st, PHI 1st, PHI 2nd
To Philly: Zegras
:cheers:
I wonder why they didn't target Zegras in the cutter deal.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Philly needs more high-end players (especially with Gauthier gone) so I'd think a complementary piece like Podkolzin isn't moving the needle much. Roster has plenty of secondary guys imo. Would Vancouver move on from Lekkerimäki or Willander?
I'd do Lekerimaki but I'd be hesitant to also include a 1st and then you'd have to include Kuz to make the cap work and while many people think he's a pure cap dump he's not.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Outside of Russians in the KHL, if a player isn't making progress at the NHL level D+5, his trade value won't be much. Looking at recent trades, New York gave up on Kravtsov at a similar point and the return was close to nothing. Juolevi was swapped for another reclamation project after his season. Jost was traded for a 4th line rental D+6. Draft pedigree fades.
In these cases you have to look a touch deeper. Add Owen Tippett to your calculus.

Konecny has proven himself to be an absolute stud and this would be a huge pickup for Vancouver if they are really serious about going for it this year.

To get him, Canucks fans have to accept it's Lekkerimaki or Willander AND a 1st, and quite frankly I think it's worth it.
I'd do Lek and a 1st but Kuz has to go to for the money and in that case might need a 3rd back and or Walker.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
In these cases you have to look a touch deeper. Add Owen Tippett to your calculus.

I'd do Lek and a 1st but Kuz has to go to for the money and in that case might need a 3rd back and or Walker.
Maybe Lek + 1st for TK and then if the rumour in the other thread is legit, dump Kuzmenko's salary off in Chicago and try to recoup a good asset for him.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

I'll look a touch deeper. Tippett's emergence doesn't necessarily mean that he had notable trade value at the time. Claude Giroux was in total control of his situation with an NMC. He returned a guaranteed 1st, a 3rd and Tippett. Just a year later, Kane, also in possession of an NMC, leveraged it to go to the Rangers for just a conditional 1st (wasn't transferred). That's a sizeable gap in value in comparable situations, if the argument is that he did.

Some other top picks to return nothing of significance at a similar point: Pouliot (after D+5, Pedan and a 4th), Perlini (D+6, Regula), Ritchie (D+6, Heinen), Brown (D+6, Sanford).

Last edited:
Reactions: Szechwan

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010

That is actually reasonable. I'd do that.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I'll look a touch deeper. Tippett's emergence doesn't necessarily mean that he had notable trade value at the time. Claude Giroux was in total control of his situation with an NMC. He returned a guaranteed 1st, a 3rd and Tippett. Just a year later, Kane, also in possession of an NMC, leveraged it to go to the Rangers for just a conditional 1st (wasn't transferred). That's a sizeable gap in value in comparable situations, if the argument is that he did.

Some other top picks to return nothing of significance at a similar point: Pouliot (after D+5, Pedan and a 4th), Perlini (D+6, Regula), Ritchie (D+6, Heinen), Brown (D+6, Sanford).
Vancouver has one of the deepest fwd groups in the league. Hoglander and Lafferty are 4th liners and they're incredible players. Podkolzin will be in the NHL without question next season. But ya it might be somethings like Lek and 1st with Kuz going to Chicago for a 3rd or something.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Vancouver has one of the deepest fwd groups in the league. Hoglander and Lafferty are 4th liners and they're incredible players. Podkolzin will be in the NHL without question next season. But ya it might be somethings like Lek and 1st with Kuz going to Chicago for a 3rd or something.

I'm not commenting on Podkolzin as a prospect. He certainty has time to turn it around. Just as an asset, it's unlikely that he has meaningful trade value at this point, based on historical comps.

I'll just leave it at that. It seems like you moved off of the initial stance based on feedback. All good.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Outside of Russians in the KHL, if a player isn't making progress at the NHL level D+5, his trade value won't be much. Looking at recent trades, New York gave up on Kravtsov at a similar point and the return was close to nothing. Juolevi was swapped for another reclamation project after his season. Jost was traded for a 4th line rental D+6. Draft pedigree fades.
You might be right about value, which is why Canuck fans really shouldn't even mention Podkolzin on the trade board.
I mean we know all about Juolevi, dude almost died doing a bag skate. Podz oth had a gordie howe hatrick last night in the ahl. Yeah those are over-rated somewhat, but he had 2 goals and the guy he fought had 3 inches and 30 lbs on him. He isn't a valueless throw in imo.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
TK is a now a playdriving 1st line wing. That’s very valuable. I don’t see him being moved. Walker and hopefully Laughton. Ideally Atkinson and Seeler.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I'm not commenting on Podkolzin as a prospect. He certainty has time to turn it around. Just as an asset, it's unlikely that he has meaningful trade value at this point, based on historical comps.

I'll just leave it at that. It seems like you moved off of the initial stance based on feedback. All good.
My stance was just that you can't make a historical comp based on the parameters you laid out. There just isn't any information there. You'd need to look at the parameters. Team in front of him, development path, output in whatever league they're in.

Yanni Gourde took till he was 24 to make the league and he's quite good. Tyler Johnson was 22. Guentzel was 22. Those are just off the top of my head.

There is still some decent jam in his profile based on the playing style, the team circumstance and his play this yr.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad