Komarov possible butt-end, Pastrnak embellishes

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Isles among several others, but primarily a hockey fan.

What I am NOT a fan of, in any sport, is is the kind of performance Pasta went through. It's degrading, for him and for the sport.
Honest question. Were you equally outraged over Barzal’s dive in April. The one he got dinged for $2K. Again, honest question.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Thirty Seven

Jan 23, 2017
A bruised kidney from the front?

Not from the front I was more so referring to the being hit with the butt end of the stick.

You mean after diving and rolling around, you bruised your kidney. Crap luck dude.

Lol yeah, you know it.

Don't think that will be a problem for Pasta, unless he's breastfeeding a baby.

Whatever he's doing it's working for him!

A bruised kidney from a love tap on the shoulder? Impressive.

I clarified above about it being a butt end.

I appreciate everyone's questions and taking interest!

Yeti of the Flow

Jun 9, 2011
Boston
I wonder if everyone trying to say this is a dive is also the kind of person who thinks a liver shot in MMA / Boxing is also faked.

Hey tough guys, getting hit in your organs hurts and trying to say it's a dive only makes you look silly. The story here is that Komarov did something shitty.

Last edited:
Reactions: CDJ

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Honest question. Were you equally outraged over Barzal’s dive in April. The one he got dinged for $2K. Again, honest question.
I'm not outraged about either. I didn't like either one, and I believe that kind of play has no place in hockey (or soccer).

Actually, I was mostly surprised that he got fined for that one, as is was nowhere near his worst. Must have been just the straw that broke the camel's back (and the DOPS needed something to distract from the Wilson fiasco).

To an extent I can understand why he did it - they were already on their second PP against one of the top PK teams, and not getting anywhere. So dive, and try to get a five-on-three. It worked, and they scored. (Except that Komarov had already taken a penalty, so it didn't.)

The more disturbing aspect is that there are a few fans who, along with Edwards, can look at that play and think that it was a huge butt end and Patsa's writhing around in pain and miraculously recovering was legitimate.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I wonder if everyone trying to say this is a dive is also the kind of person who thinks a liver shot in MMA / Boxing is also faked.

Hey tough guys, getting hit in your organs hurts and trying to it's a dive only makes you look silly. The story here is that Komarov did something shitty.
i don't recall flailing my legs around in the air after doing a 720 last time i ate a liver punch, i just crumble and focus on not dying

Reactions: MikeyMike01

The Grim Reaper

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania

Hey tough guys, getting hit in your organs hurts and trying to it's a dive only makes you look silly. The story here is that Komarov did something shitty.

I mean, on one side I agree with you, but on another, that’s a clear flop.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Not from the front I was more so referring to the being hit with the butt end of the stick.

Yeah well that's kind of a completely different scenario, no? I've got many years in boxing and taken tons of punishment from the front. Only time I ever got kidney shots were from the side or back.

Reactions: Shupei

Yeti of the Flow

Jun 9, 2011
Boston
I completely understand, HFB posters are hyperbole experts, but lets agree to call a spade a spade.
I don't know. It's absolutely a plausible response to getting hit there unsuspectedly. The only reason I'd think Pasta embellished is because for liver shots there is usually a 1-2~ second response. Regardless, the story here is Komarov doing something, not Pasta's reaction to getting hit.

Reactions: Number8

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I'm not outraged about either. I didn't like either one, and I believe that kind of play has no place in hockey (or soccer).

Actually, I was mostly surprised that he got fined for that one, as is was nowhere near his worst. Must have been just the straw that broke the camel's back (and the DOPS needed something to distract from the Wilson fiasco).

To an extent I can understand why he did it - they were already on their second PP against one of the top PK teams, and not getting anywhere. So dive, and try to get a five-on-three. It worked, and they scored. (Except that Komarov had already taken a penalty, so it didn't.)

The more disturbing aspect is that there are a few fans who, along with Edwards, can look at that play and think that it was a huge butt end and Patsa's writhing around in pain and miraculously recovering was legitimate.
OK, fair enough. So if Pasta sold it a bit (and lets be honest when did Leo just give a love tap stick work? That is not how he rolls - he’s a cheapie through and through, always has been) I can understand why he might have done it.

Two games before playoff starts, Leo decides to skate by a motionless Pasta and jab or butt end him after the play is over. Take your pick. No scrum, no tussle, no nothing. Just a drive by stick foul on one of Boston’s key playoff pieces. And, no, Pasta is not a chippy player so not a payback situation.

Add to that Leo will NOT drop the gloves to answer for it. So maybe Pasta was a bit hurt, maybe a good stinger to the rib or gut, winded, maybe not at all.. Who knows?

Either way IF he sold it a little or a lot, I can certainly see why he’d want the refs to see and react to what was nothing but a cheap and very greasy POS move after the whistle had long gone.

It’s not like the Bruins haven’t had more than their share of injuries this season stemming from cheap shots.

And lets be real. Whatever Pasta did, it was by no means the worst example of this year. No worse than Barzal’s, no worse than Crosby’s face off histrionics earlier this season (shot by a high powered rifle from upper decks apparently), etc, etc.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Was it needed? No, Komarov getting a minor penalty would have been merited.

Pastrnak either needs to switch to soccer, or must routinely roll over on to his side as he sleeps, and breaking multiple ribs and which ever arm is under him.

Boston's announcer is just crazy in an Alex Jones kind of way.

Yikes. Wilson will have a field day with the Bruins, if this is an "incident".

“field day” = cheap shotting after getting punked by a 4th line rookie? Because he’s been having a “field day” against them all year then

Thirty Seven

Jan 23, 2017
Yeah well that's kind of a completely different scenario, no? I've got many years in boxing and taken tons of punishment from the front. Only time I ever got kidney shots were from the side or back.

I'm only speaking from my own experience and maybe I should have explained more in my original post. What I was going for is butt ends can do some damage but like I said I have no idea how hard it was and considering Pasta wanted to be out on the powerplay it doesn't seem that bad.

I'm not a fan of embellishing and don't think it belongs in the game.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
thats true, if he was wearing a t-shirt

index.php

There's very little to no pading where Pasta got hit. Lucic loves to throw body shots there and has made at least two players off the top of my head pretty much tap out of the fight from landing a shot on those spots.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
There's very little to no pading where Pasta got hit. Lucic loves to throw body shots there and has made at least two players off the top of my head pretty much tap out of the fight from landing a shot on those spots.

How can you even tell where he got hit? Was there other video apart from the start?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
OK, fair enough. So if Pasta sold it a bit (and lets be honest when did Leo just give a love tap stick work? That is not how he rolls - he’s a cheapie through and through, always has been) I can understand why he might have done it.

Two games before playoff starts, Leo decides to skate by a motionless Pasta and jab or butt end him after the play is over. Take your pick. No scrum, no tussle, no nothing. Just a drive by stick foul on one of Boston’s key playoff pieces. And, no, Pasta is not a chippy player so not a payback situation.

Add to that Leo will NOT drop the gloves to answer for it. So maybe Pasta was a bit hurt, maybe a good stinger to the rib or gut, winded, maybe not at all.. Who knows?

Either way IF he sold it a little or a lot, I can certainly see why he’d want the refs to see and react to what was nothing but a cheap and very greasy POS move after the whistle had long gone.

It’s not like the Bruins haven’t had more than their share of injuries this season stemming from cheap shots.

And lets be real. Whatever Pasta did, it was by no means the worst example of this year. No worse than Barzal’s, no worse than Crosby’s face off histrionics earlier this season (shot by a high powered rifle from upper decks apparently), etc, etc.
First "sold it a bit"? That was a Wagnerian death scene. We should probably be happy he didn't start singing.

I'm not sure where you get the idea Komarov is a "cheapie through and through": in his career, he has averaged 0.74 penalty minutes per 60 minutes ice time (compared to, for example, Marchand's 1.37).

True Komarov has usually only "dropped the gloves" in defence of a teammate (with the Leafs, when they had no one else), but that's because he doesn't usually do anything to warrant being challenged. (Pastrnak has only one fight - does that mean he's a "cheapie through and through"?

At worst, Komarov bumped Pasta with his glove in the chest, which certainly didn't justify either the scene on the ice, or Edwards' comments.

And I never suggested it was worse than any other, just that it was a dive, and that some of the responses have been extreme.

Reactions: TomppaKoo

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
First "sold it a bit"? That was a Wagnerian death scene. We should probably be happy he didn't start singing.

I'm not sure where you get the idea Komarov is a "cheapie through and through": in his career, he has averaged 0.74 penalty minutes per 60 minutes ice time (compared to, for example, Marchand's 1.37).

True Komarov has usually only "dropped the gloves" in defence of a teammate (with the Leafs, when they had no one else), but that's because he doesn't usually do anything to warrant being challenged. (Pastrnak has only one fight - does that mean he's a "cheapie through and through"?

At worst, Komarov bumped Pasta with his glove in the chest, which certainly didn't justify either the scene on the ice, or Edwards' comments.

And I never suggested it was worse than any other, just that it was a dive, and that some of the responses have been extreme.
That’s in part because Marchand has many more NHL fights than Komarov. Komarov has always been a cheap instigator and virtually NEVER answers for it. Alexei (don’t punch me I have a plate in my face) Emelin like.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Komarov, like Clutterbuck, is not going to defend his actions. Komarov had no reason to do what he did. Targetting a player 4,000 better is not a good way to build his image as a relevant NHLer, which is he not.

By the way, the "at worst" is a butt end to the ribs. Good interpretation.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Hey tough guys, getting hit in your organs hurts and trying to say it's a dive only makes you look silly. The story here is that Komarov did something shitty.

the fact that he gets right back up and complains to the ref for not letting him out for the ensuing power play sort of defeats this argument

Reactions: Konk

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Komarov, like Clutterbuck, is not going to defend his actions. Komarov had no reason to do what he did. Targetting a player 4,000 better is not a good way to build his image as a relevant NHLer, which is he not.

By the way, the "at worst" is a butt end to the ribs. Good interpretation.
Well at least you have figured out that, whether there was a butt end or not, the point of contact was chest/ribs.

There have been people claiming it was the kidneys, which are in the back, or the liver, which is s lot farther down, albeit that is where he was clutching himself.

Actually, the fact that he was holding himself at least a foot lower than where he got hit is pretty good evidence that he didn't really get hit, or at least hurt, and it was all show.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
That’s in part because Marchand has many more NHL fights than Komarov. Komarov has always been a cheap instigator and virtually NEVER answers for it. Alexei (don’t punch me I have a plate in my face) Emelin like.
Marchand has been suspended six times and fined eight times.

Komarov has been suspended once (the only fines I could find were for speeding, so obviously not on the ice).

Clearly Komarov is the dirtier player.

Why do I even bother?

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
How can you even tell where he got hit? Was there other video apart from the start?

The Bruins broadcast is known for censoring things that make the team look bad. If there actually was a butt end, they would’ve shown a dozen angles. The fact they didn’t, tells you all you need to know.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The Bruins broadcast is known for censoring things that make the team look bad. If there actually was a butt end, they would’ve shown a dozen angles. The fact they didn’t, tells you all you need to know.
Lol what? They gave like 3 or 4 different angles of it, how many more do you think they have available?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad