Injury Report: Kochetkov in concussion protocol - placed on IR

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I agree we probably had some initial discussion earlier. But we also earlier had three goalies. Now, we have two. Raanta and an ECHL goalie. Those are not equal situations.

Again, I'm not suggesting we should pull the trigger. But we should start loading the gun now.
Sheesh I know we joke about killing and ded players but that seems a little harsh, no? :sarcasm:

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I agree we probably had some initial discussion earlier. But we also earlier had three goalies. Now, we have two. Raanta and an ECHL goalie. Those are not equal situations.

Again, I'm not suggesting we should pull the trigger. But we should start loading the gun now.
I'd argue that there was a somewhat significant stretch earlier this year where we felt like we had zero goalies. Pyotr and Raanta were playing like Jack LaFontaine and Freddie was ded.

Pyotr will be back before we know it and Raanta has been playing better the last several games. There's not much reason to make a move right now.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I'd argue that there was a somewhat significant stretch earlier this year where we felt like we had zero goalies. Pyotr and Raanta were playing like Jack LaFontaine and Freddie was ded.

Pyotr will be back before we know it and Raanta has been playing better the last several games. There's not much reason to make a move right now.
Just as I believe it's overly pessimistic to presume that our goalie situation is destined for disaster, I believe it's overly optimistic to assume that Kooch will "be back before we know it".

They should be looking. They should be ready to pull the trigger if they find a deal that improves the team. They should also give Perets a shot and let Rants play his way back into the role. All of these things can be true at the same time.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Just as I believe it's overly pessimistic to presume that our goalie situation is destined for disaster, I believe it's overly optimistic to assume that Kooch will "be back before we know it".

They should be looking. They should be ready to pull the trigger if they find a deal that improves the team. They should also give Perets a shot and let Rants play his way back into the role. All of these things can be true at the same time.
yep, a whole lot REALLY depends on what's going on with Freddy medically right now. Needing to consult for a second opinion is NOT a good thing, and if that just recently came to light the borg may realize that it's time to pull the trigger.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I agree with the vibe here. Look for an option, even a #3G type, without breaking the bank. Don't pay premium prices.

Raanta has shown more in the last two starts as y'all have said. Sometimes adversity for the team is really good, and it may force the team to play as tight defense as possible. We got a little loose with Kooch in net, relying on him to make lots of grade A saves (but part of that is just playing Toronto).

I seriously wonder if we would re-do the Halak thing. He could earn a million bucks and play just for a few weeks and then go back home, if that's his thing. Probably won't happen, but I wonder.

Or maybe Raanta will feel more confident after these last two games, and knowing that he's the guy for a while.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

You're just ignoring the significant amount of data we have on return time from concussions. I'm not assuming anything, I'm saying based on historical data on first-time concussions he is extremely likely to be back within 2 weeks, and likely even sooner. And the timing of the concussion is such that he could miss nearly a month and only miss 7 games because of the upcoming all star break. I stand by saying that it's extremely likely he'll be back before we know it. It's not really overly optimistic when historical data backs it up. Sure it's possible he could have some way worse outlier case and miss several months. I put the odds of that similar to the odds of any goalie we trade for tearing his ACL in his first game with us.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I do think about two scenarios when it comes to how quickly they feel they need to address things. First, the last time the team thought they had a bit of a goalie health crisis during the season, their answer was to sway LaFontaine to leave school early, not get a proven option. There are tons of factors the same and different, and they may handle this differently, but it's food for thought.

Also, it's different because you always have young forwards you can call up and you're less likely (this year with the affiliate especially) to have an endless supply of goalies, but last year when they knew we'd lost a big player in Pacioretty, I think they looked around, got outbid on one or two things, didn't like the price of one or two things, and then just said f*** it and got Puljujarvi as a hail mary. Again, far from a perfect comparison, but we know that they put their own price on things and tend not to budge too far. If the goalie market is "extortion" as Friedman has repeatedly put it, I don't think that we will budge to that level. We'll probably just send some Puistola-level meh to some team for a meh long-shot goalie. I think the part of last year that does resonate is they may not be willing to compromise the future or overspend whatever price they set even if it greatly limits the ceiling of a single year.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

Well Rod did say "out indefinitely" so he could be back in 20 minutes.

Unhinged Finn

Skunk is my spirit animal
May 1, 2022
It doesn't really scare me what level of Raanta we're getting in the following games. What I'm actually scared of, is the fact that Raanta is quaranteed to get injured every damn year. He is going to get his back hurt by yelling at clouds or something.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
It doesn't really scare me what level of Raanta we're getting in the following games. What I'm actually scared of, is the fact that Raanta is quaranteed to get injured every damn year. He is going to get his back hurt by yelling at clouds or something.
And then stub his toe cause he’s looking at the clouds and can’t move laterally quick enough to miss whatever is in the way that he sees at the last second.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Bring Diva Merzlikins in

Yikes just googled his contract.

Keep Diva Merzlikins out.
Yes if it’s him and Perets for any longer than 3-4 games, we’re going have to sign David Ayres or Jorge Alves.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
If everyone remembers Koochie took a hard hit to the head in ST. Louis. I kind of wonder if he didn’t have a mild concussion at that point

• Wow
Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad