Injury Report: Kochetkov in concussion protocol - placed on IR

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
As I suspected in the game thread. So definitely a shorter term injury (relatively speaking). Usually 1-2 weeks once in protocol. He’ll miss the next 2 games but possible we could see him return vs Detroit 1/19. Having him by the back to back against Boston and NJ 1/24-1/25 would be big

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
As I suspected in the game thread. So definitely a shorter term injury (relatively speaking). Usually 1-2 weeks once in protocol. He’ll miss the next 2 games but possible we could see him return vs Detroit 1/19. Having him by the back to back against Boston and NJ 1/24-1/25 would be big
Problem with concussion protocol is who the hell knows how long the recovery is?

You can't estimate severity of concussion or recovery time based on the severity of the hit. Might be quick, or Kochetkov might have a setback once he gets back on the ice.

I feel like they should be pushing more for a goalie acquisition, not less.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Better than a leg injury but with concussions you never know.

btw: still want another goalie....increasingly concerned that Freddie is not coming back.
Oh at this point I am expecting that his season, and possibly career, are over. Hearing that he's looking for a second opinion and there haven't been any rumors of him even thinking about a return since Adam Gold did Adam Gold things a month ago.... Yeah, I just don't get the feeling we'll be seeing him again.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Hopefully, he will feel better soon. If it is one of those 1-2 week timelines you often see, we'll be fine. If not, they may need to explore options, but they probably have been for some time given what we've heard and what we've seen.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Problem with concussion protocol is who the hell knows how long the recovery is?

You can't estimate severity of concussion or recovery time based on the severity of the hit. Might be quick, or Kochetkov might have a setback once he gets back on the ice.

I feel like they should be pushing more for a goalie acquisition, not less.
Nobody knows for sure until he's back on the ice, but you can absolutely go off of the data we have league wide in recent years (and in other sports with similar protocols) which suggests it's incredibly likely we'll see him back within a couple weeks. And we also only have 7 games until the all star break which would give him even more time.

Really no reason at all to rush into making a bad trade just because of this injury. The injury should honestly have zero impact on how we approach the trade market. If we were fighting and scrapping for every single point just barely trying to make the playoffs, then yeah sure approach it differently. But we sit pretty comfortably right now and as bad as Raanta has been we are still 8-5-2 with him in net. For 7 games we can live with him and Perets.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Nobody knows for sure until he's back on the ice, but you can absolutely go off of the data we have league wide in recent years (and in other sports with similar protocols) which suggests it's incredibly likely we'll see him back within a couple weeks. And we also only have 7 games until the all star break which would give him even more time.

Really no reason at all to rush into making a bad trade just because of this injury. The injury should honestly have zero impact on how we approach the trade market. If we were fighting and scrapping for every single point just barely trying to make the playoffs, then yeah sure approach it differently. But we sit pretty comfortably right now and as bad as Raanta has been we are still 8-5-2 with him in net. For 7 games we can live with him and Perets.

I agree that we don't need to rush into making a bad trade. But that is why you should start talking now. If we find out after the All Star break that he is still having symptoms, then we would be rushing into a trade. If we start talking now, we can get some parameters in place and make some decisions without the urgency.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I agree that we don't need to rush into making a bad trade. But that is why you should start talking now. If we find out after the All Star break that he is still having symptoms, then we would be rushing into a trade. If we start talking now, we can get some parameters in place and make some decisions without the urgency.
I'm sure we've been talking with teams about goalies for months now...

Fine, I'll play goalie.

I was #1 in the world on like NHL16. How hard can it be??
get in line behind @DaveG

• Haha
Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Given they had two goalies in on PTOs, I'm gonna guess they've had the conversations with other teams.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
But we sit pretty comfortably right now and as bad as Raanta has been we are still 8-5-2 with him in net. For 7 games we can live with him and Perets.
I feel like this is the thing that everyone misses. Sure, Raanta has been bad in stretches, but the badness is already kinda baked in, right? As terrible as it is to have .850 goaltending, we are still winning with it.

That said, I'm sure the Borg is keeping every option open, as they should. It would be far better to have a .900 goalie.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
This is almost exactly how they recruit their goalie in the mighty ducks tv show, it was as absurd as it sounds
yep, I actually watched that show for some reason... on one hand it doesn't hold a candle to the original because it just goes on and on due to the episode format... on the other hand I'm kindof surprised they cancelled it.

Reactions: Tryamw

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'm guessing we've been having these conversations for a while now, because I would hate to think we were just sitting on our hands earlier when we waived Raanta and called up Perets. The Kooch situation might be giving us a new impetus to make something happen, which is why we could be hearing the Merzilikins and Markstrom rumors igniting today.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I'm guessing we've been having these conversations for a while now, because I would hate to think we were just sitting on our hands earlier when we waived Raanta and called up Perets. The Kooch situation might be giving us a new impetus to make something happen, which is why we could be hearing the Merzilikins and Markstrom rumors igniting today.
Yeah, this. Moving now wouldn't be a panic move so much as a "the time has come to make a decision we've been considering for months" move.

But that still might be no move, and whatever the decision is, I trust the Borg to have done their due diligence.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

I imagine that any goalie decision involving Markstrom or Elvis has more to do with Andersen than Kochetkov. If doctors are recommending LTIRetirement, it all of a sudden makes sense to acquire a medium-term solution rather than a rental. Depending on that situation and how insurance pays out, Andersen's LTIR may also be involved in the trade.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I agree we probably had some initial discussion earlier. But we also earlier had three goalies. Now, we have two. Raanta and an ECHL goalie. Those are not equal situations.

Again, I'm not suggesting we should pull the trigger. But we should start loading the gun now.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I imagine that any goalie decision involving Markstrom or Elvis has more to do with Andersen than Kochetkov. If doctors are recommending LTIRetirement, it all of a sudden makes sense to acquire a medium-term solution rather than a rental. Depending on that situation and how insurance pays out, Andersen's LTIR may also be involved in the trade.
Oh 100%

I fully believe we have been in talks with teams ever since he went down, especially when Raanta was spiraling, but we thought we could wait out other teams to see if the market would come down a bit before we made a move. Well, now that Kooch is hurt, we might feel we don't have the luxury of waiting anymore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad