Knowing what you know now.....

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Since were all playing the game, knowing what I know now, I would have tanked in the years leading up to the Crosby draft, and then found a way to get Kopitar too.
I would not have traded for what's his face goalie dude from San Jose and instead used our first rounder on PK subban, then tank again for Tavares.
In fact I'd probably go back even further and buy stock in Microsoft and disney and a couple other big names, buy the leafs, and somehow convince Kerry Fraser to give up refereeing while also convincing Marty Brodeur to never take up hockey.

Am I doing this right?

Pretty much spot on. Don't forget about Stamkos and Malkin and Iginla as well. Great drafts

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
you're actually defending the deal by pointing to our record with Kessel ? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

4 and probably 5 straight 82 game seasons in the bottom 10 since the deal and you're saying we're still better off we traded the picks for him ?

That's exact what I said.

We'd quite possibly be the Oilerz. Much better record. I'm am so pissed we missed out on that opportunity.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Pretty much spot on. Don't forget about Stamkos and Malkin and Iginla as well. Great drafts

I would also 'fail for nail' , 'not win for Mackinnon' and 'Lose with honour for Connor'.

Just imagine the powerhouse.

In fact, knowing what I know now, I would ensure this team never win another game so that we could keep drafting franchise players.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The ironic thing about many posts in this thread is that I strongly suspect that if we hadn't made the kessel trade , they'd still be trying to run Seguin out of town for being a soft, party-boy with character issues.

I strongly suspect had we drafted Seguin you wouldn't be calling him a "soft , party boy with character issues " .

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
I strongly suspect had we drafted Seguin you wouldn't be calling him a "soft , party boy with character issues " .
This being the Leafs if we hadn't made the trade we'd have finished 7-11 as usual so we wouldn't be talking about Seguin. I'm over it. Kessel is one dimensional but he still is an elite sniper. We have larger problems than him.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

We'd quite possibly be the Oilerz. Much better record. I'm am so pissed we missed out on that opportunity.

Probably not, but I strongly suspect YOU would be.

How bout the Islanders?

I don't hear anyone criticizing their rebuild anymore?

In fact, I believe YOU along with many others have gone on record here claiming we shouldn't aim to be like the Islanders because the Tavares-led team (drafted 1st overall) haven't had any success.

Well how bout now?

Care to back up your claims or will you admit you were 100% wrong?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

yea we're so much better than the Oilers :laugh:

We used laugh at Islanders , the Panthers and the Blue Jackets among other teams as well . Good times

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
yea we're so much better than the Oilers :laugh:

We used laugh at Islanders , the Panthers and the Blue Jackets among other teams as well . Good times

Nope, we're not 'so much' better than them, but we are still better.
To think that the Kessel trade being reversed would magically make us a better team or put us in a better situation is the laughable part.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
This being the Leafs if we hadn't made the trade we'd have finished 7-11 as usual so we wouldn't be talking about Seguin. I'm over it. Kessel is one dimensional but he still is an elite sniper. We have larger problems than him.

yea lets just keep bottom feeding with him and the rest of the core while endlessly shuffling the bottom 6 , it's worked wonders so far

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

Our best trading chip to reclaim a future for our team.

Time to go Kessel.

You're a good player playing on the wrong team.

Team need trumps all.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
considering his age and the impact he's had on the Stars there wouldn't have been a need to question why we made the puck

Crazy to believe that Boston would have traded him knowing all that right?

Assuming that everything plays out exactly the same way it did with him in Boston, you would have run him out of town already.

Not that it matters because we would have drafted Hall anyway. A one dimension winger... Hmmm

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
yea lets just keep bottom feeding with him and the rest of the core while endlessly shuffling the bottom 6 , it's worked wonders so far
I'm actually a 100% tanker but i still to this day think it was only the curse of this franchise that sank us to 2nd worst that draft. If we'd had the pick instead of Kessel we'd have been drafting much lower.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
To think that the Kessel trade being reversed would magically make us a better team or put us in a better situation is the laughable part.

Based on your opinions of the past on draft built teams, I'm not so sure you're a credible poster to give an opinion on that matter.

You've railed against the Panthers, Islanders, and Columbus in your past posts (which are stamped in ink on this forum) and look how much better they are now!

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

for now

well the stars magically became a playoff team in a stronger conference once they added him

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Crazy to believe that Boston would have traded him knowing all that right?

Assuming that everything plays out exactly the same way it did with him in Boston, you would have run him out of town already.

Not that it matters because we would have drafted Hall anyway. A one dimension winger... Hmmm

how'd that work for Boston ?

Seguin was rated higher by many and at worst was a coin flip for the top pick but even had we'd taken Hall i'd still prefer him Hamilton and the 2nd and 3rd we gave up for Kessel

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
how'd that work for Boston ?

Seguin was rated higher by many and at worst was a coin flip for the top pick but even had we'd taken Hall i'd still prefer him Hamilton and the 2nd and 3rd we gave up for Kessel

well surly the fact that he was leading the Bruins to the playoffs yer after year would have given them pause right?

Its not like his Dallas success wasn't par for the course over the early days of his career or anything.

Regardless, if Hall and RNH cant make the Oilers even respectable, you think they get the Leafs any further ahead than they are?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Based on your opinions of the past on draft built teams, I'm not so sure you're a credible poster to give an opinion on that matter.

You've railed against the Panthers, Islanders, and Columbus in your past posts (which are stamped in ink on this forum) and look how much better they are now!

I don't even know what these guys are even defending anymore ?

Burke dealt for Kessel to accelerate our retool not to tank for the next half decade plus yet they're still defending the deal even though Seguin has proved the better player and Hamilton is well under way to becoming at least a first pair D and probably a num 1 as well as a 2nd and 3rd .

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
The recent history of the Toronto Maple Leafs certainly seems to indicate it's the most likely situation.

It's got us Kadri, Rielly and Nylander thus far. The tank is clearly on, isn't this what people want?

So within two pages you've flip-flopped between stating the Leafs are not rebuilding and tanking to stating the Leafs are actually rebuilding and tanking.

You're little story you've conjured up is all over the map.

Maybe it's time you lay off the PR campaign and just admit Burke made a very bad trade, at a very bad time, and move on with your life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad