Pre-Game Talk: Knock on wood...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Dermott would probably be an upgrade over Simmonds on the 4th line anyways.
i would try joey anderson on the RW again , hes been on fire and deserves some more time.
Or at least give steeves some games. .

i swear if they keep playing clifford im going to end up pulling my hair out.

Reactions: aingefan and zeke

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Calgary is doing quite well against Vegas right now. Hopefully they'll run out of juice just in time for Matthews and Marner to feast like it's a smorgasbord. Nom nom nommy.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Calgary is doing quite well against Vegas right now. Hopefully they'll run out of juice just in time for Matthews and Marner to feast like it's a smorgasbord. Nom nom nommy.

Vegas on the 2nd game of a B2B. Leafs should clown pound CGY.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No we don't

If Holl continues like he has been you aren't getting a better top 4RD than him

You can absolutely get better than him, you just don't realize it because Muzzin has carried him for the vast majority of his NHL career

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Are you seriously telling me there are no d men better than Justin Holl available?

Get serious

Not really. Chychrun, sure, but he also is going to cost a ridiculous amount and doesn't fit our cap structure. Giordano maybe does as well.

Chiarot, Braun, Manson, and Mayfield are not better than him. At best they are equals, and that is assuming they pick up their performance playing for a better team. Myers has potential to be better, but right now he is worse than Holl.

Who else is there?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Someone needs to change the title. It was mistakenly tagged as a Pre Game Thread.

Reactions: nsleaf

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Not really. Chychrun, sure, but he also is going to cost a ridiculous amount and doesn't fit our cap structure. Giordano maybe does as well.

Chiarot, Braun, Manson, and Mayfield are not better than him. At best they are equals, and that is assuming they pick up their performance playing for a better team. Myers has potential to be better, but right now he is worse than Holl.

Who else is there?
Going to be unpopular.
But I'd take Ristolainen oven him, to pair with Muzzin. (Hes fallen off a cliff the last 2 years, think there's still a ton of potential - not old, former high pick , big , has put up points and could use a good team/structure to get back there)

I'd also take Klingberg if still available.

I think there's a few sly options to upgrade

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Who else is there?

I think all 3 of those guys are significantly better than Holl.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Simmonds has played great this year IMO.

exactly the type of player you need on the 4th line

He has played better this year, he hasn't played great

It wouldn't have taken a lot of be better, considered how much he sucked last year

He's still slow and should be only dressed against teams that has heavy weights or cheap shot artists

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He has played better this year, he hasn't played great

It wouldn't have taken a lot of be better, considered how much he sucked last year

He's still slow and should be only dressed against teams that has heavy weights or cheap shot artists
Like tonights game?

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Every game I swing by the opposing team boards to get a sense of perspective on how they look at the Leafs.

I don’t post because I’m not a chode but I browse.

Believe it or not, most boards treat them with respect - sure there are 1967 and 2004 jokes, my personal favorite is the ‘67 joke after being stomped, like the Leafs not winning a cup since 1967 is relevant to the Leafs today that just beat you 5-1.

Reactions are usually spirited on the Canadian team boards.

Edmonton: The Leafs have superior D, goaltending, depth and management but someone thinks Matthews is almost as good as McDavid, so they all must think that!

Vancouver: I’m feeling good because my $10,000 Christmas bonus ate half a month of rent in my 36 sq/m apartment, but we have to start at 4 and that’s not fair!

And so on.

But never Calgary - they played last night and they don’t even have a GDT up.

Historically, Carmine always said the the Flames are nothing more than a glorified crew.

Last edited:
Reactions: HogTown06

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Like tonights game?

Exactly. I have no problem with him being dressed tonight. But he should be rotated every now and then

That's a good role for some young kids to get polish their games from Marlies

TheBigFour

Apr 17, 2019
should be great game between the top two Canadian teams. flames are much better than their record shows.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Only Engvall has shown he's great on the 4th line. A lot of Babcock-like "good pro" overrating of Simmonds and Spezza going on in here. If Dubas can get those 2 on a rotation our team will be even better.

The good news is, if debates have calmed down to just depth players and insurance guys, the Leafs are in a very good place right now regardless. I'd much rather increase our odds of winning a series in 6 games though. I want a break from this elimination game anxiety.

Reactions: zeke

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Going to be a tough game, Calgary is playing some good hockey. Then again, Matthews and Marner have been unstoppable of late...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad