Pre-Game Talk: Knock on wood...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
....but we might actually be on track to play I believe our first game of the year with a fully healthy roster....

That's awesome news for Matthews and the Leafs. Missing him for any period of time when we're in a race for home ice throughout the playoffs and to avoid a Florida/Tampa matchup in round 1 would have sucked.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
simmonds has been fine, not great not bad...fine.
BUT, after he was forced to sit a game last time, he came back and was the best hes been all year for like a 10 game stretch afterwards, jus sayin'

Reactions: ShaneFalco

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Simmonds has played great this year IMO.

exactly the type of player you need on the 4th line

Agreed. Happy he's here.
Really? I thought he looked good to start the year but has been completely invisible for a while outside that fight last game.

I think he can provide value still but also think he should be a part time guy, not an everyday player anymore. He doesn't score much, not a great skater, not on the PP or PK, historically poor defensively (although much improved as a Leaf) and I don't think his body can handle the physical grind he needs to provide to be effective when playing every day any more. Keep him fresh, use him when the matchup makes sense and have him ready for the playoffs when/if we need his toughness or a spark from somewhere.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This is the last time out West this season?

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Could just be a maintenance day for the vet, or maybe he messed up his hand in the fight on Monday.

Really glad to see Matthews out there.
Seems like every punch he throws has bad intentions. I break my hand just shadow boxing along with him .

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Simmonds has played great this year IMO.

exactly the type of player you need on the 4th line

He hasn't been great. Same with Spezza. There have been a lot of stretches this year where they have been complete liabilities at 5-on-5 and were downright awful. Part of that may be playing with guys like Clifford, who should never take another NHL shift for us, but they have both looked like guys nearing the end of their careers on that 4th line more often than not.

Fortunately, Spezza still wins draws and is fairly effective on the PP. Simmonds is still physical sometimes. And both look a lot better 5-on-5 with Engvall providing much needed elements for them: Speed and defensive ability. They looked decent in a brief time with Ritchie as well, but it was clearly a slower, more physical line that was ineffective in transition and lived and died by keeping cycles in the opposing end.

However next year, when we have numerous prospects who should be given legitimate chances to crack our lineup. Spezza/Simmonds are easily the most replaceable players based on their on-ice performance despite playing the easiest minutes, and those easy minutes are perfect for guys who should start seeing consistent playing time at the NHL level.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
He hasn't been great. Same with Spezza. There have been a lot of stretches this year where they have been complete liabilities at 5-on-5 and were downright awful. Part of that may be playing with guys like Clifford, who should never take another NHL shift for us, but they have both looked like guys nearing the end of their careers on that 4th line more often than not.

Fortunately, Spezza still wins draws and is fairly effective on the PP. Simmonds is still physical sometimes. And both look a lot better 5-on-5 with Engvall providing much needed elements for them: Speed and defensive ability. They looked decent in a brief time with Ritchie as well, but it was clearly a slower, more physical line that was ineffective in transition and lived and died by keeping cycles in the opposing end.

However next year, when we have numerous prospects who should be given legitimate chances to crack our lineup. Spezza/Simmonds are easily the most replaceable players based on their on-ice performance despite playing the easiest minutes, and those easy minutes are perfect for guys who should start seeing consistent playing time at the NHL level.
upload_2022-2-9_12-12-14.png

upload_2022-2-9_12-12-54.png

These are 5v5 numbers with Spezza and Simmonds on the ice together. I'd say that is relatively good for a 4th line, if not great.

This idea that they've been shit is only recency bias IMO. They have not been great since the restart of the season. Nor has JT or any of our elder statesmen of the team. I imagine this stop and start shit is very challenging for them specifically.

But by in large they have performed very well as a 4th line duo. Especially when you consider they've had a rotisserie of players on their line (Anderson, Clifford, Ritchie, Engvall, Steeves....am I missing anyone? Seymonov?)

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
View attachment 505824
View attachment 505826

These are 5v5 numbers with Spezza and Simmonds on the ice together. I'd say that is relatively good for a 4th line, if not great.

This idea that they've been shit is only recency bias IMO. They have not been great since the restart of the season. Nor has JT or any of our elder statesmen of the team. I imagine this stop and start shit is very challenging for them specifically.

But by in large they have performed very well as a 4th line duo. Especially when you consider they've had a rotisserie of players on their line (Anderson, Clifford, Ritchie, Engvall, Steeves....am I missing anyone? Seymonov?)
Simmonds and Spezza look a lot better if you look at their results away from Clifford. He only played 10 minutes with them, but he hurt them pretty badly

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Simmonds and Spezza look a lot better if you look at their results away from Clifford. He only played 10 minutes with them, but he hurt them pretty badly
Ya I mean the entire team looked pretty shaky when the season restarted. I still don't think JT has come back to full strength.

I am really not worried about Spezza and Simmonds. They are the ultimate pro's. They will get their legs back soon enough and in the mean time they are not costing us games at all. I think once they get some chem with Pierre, that line can really do some damage down the lineup. You can already see it start to come. They had goals in B2B games prior to the all-star break.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Simmonds guaranteed a goal when he gets back. Congrats to him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad